VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is kind of a general technical question, but i'm just looking for a general answer.

I don't see too many aftermarket turbos on these cars even though they have larger displacements than their factory turbo counterparts.
I'm talking about after replacing the pistons and rods and stuff... Are these engines just totally not designed for a turbo?
I know Neuspeed makes an s/c for the VW 2.0, but that's about it...
Is the KA24 (is that the right one?) just too different from the sr20det?
same goes for making a WRX killer out of a 2.5RS... seems like one could stomp on wrx's left an right... especially w/ factory AWD and all..

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,555 Posts
Re: turbo potential of 240sx, 2.5RS, 2.Slow, etc... (nsadhal)

There are turbo kits available for both the KA24E and KA24DE. The key difference between the KA24 and the SR20 is that the SR was designed with boost in mind, and the KA24 wasn't. It is possible to build up a 400-hp KA24 but the SR20 is the more popular option because it is basically a sweeter, revvier motor. The KA24, while not a bad engine, was put not only into the 240SX but also family cars (Stanza, Altima) and trucks. It's an all purpose motor, while the SR20 was basically put only in the sporty versions of Nissan subcompacts (G20, SE-R, NX2000).
As for the Scoobies...there ARE turbo kits available for the 2.5 and I bet it would be cool as hell to build up a 2.5RS into a WRX killer.

[Modified by CanuckPal, 5:51 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
26,702 Posts
Re: turbo potential of 240sx, 2.5RS, 2.Slow, etc... (CanuckPal)

quote:[HR][/HR]and the SR20 is that the SR was designed with boose in mind,
[HR][/HR]​
You mean booze right?

·
Registered
26,702 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]boosT, actually.
[HR][/HR]​
Yeah that too

Disclaimer: DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE

·
Registered
26,702 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Disclaimer: DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE
Glad you added that in...all the lawyers probably read the Vortex after that Jim Ellis ordeal.
[HR][/HR]​
Yeah no doubt.
How is your 240? How is it in the snow?

·
Registered
26,702 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]It's good...but we have no snow.
[HR][/HR]​
Thought you did, from the pics you posted before. I guess that didn't stick around too long.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

I turbo'ed my Impreza RS earlier this year. I did it the right way (read $$) but the car was a reliable daily driver for 22k miles. It was fast, handled great and had superb brakes. It ran a [email protected] at New England Dragway in August, and lapped the NHIS south oval at 1:25, on street tires (same time I run there in my M Coupe on street tires). The car was brutally fast off the line, and had much better off-boost power than a WRX. There's a few turbo kits out there for the Impreza, but fewer choices for good engine management as you can't chip the Suby ECU. I wound up using an Electromotive TEC-II for fuel, spark and boost control.
Ryan

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: turbo potential of 240sx, 2.5RS, 2.Slow, etc... (CorradoVR6)

what happened after 22k miles?
you're talking in the past tense... does that mean
?

·
Registered
409 Posts

Well, as far as the 240 goes, my buddy has one, has priced it out, and to go stinkin' fast (like 500+hp) Its way cheaper to go the SR route. PLus cooler... thats the engine thats in it overseas. IE-Silvia? While your at it, order all those silvia goodies... talk about having a rare car

·
Registered
16,407 Posts

Yeah, if I was to build the ultimate Impreza I would start with a 2.5RS and not a WRX, simply because all the added pieces of the WRX would get swapped out anyways. The 2.5 shares many similarities with the 2.0.
If I was to build the ultimate 240SX, I'd swap in an SR20DET for sure simply because it is proven to support 500+hp.
It's kind of a per-case basis.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: turbo potential of 240sx, 2.5RS, 2.Slow, etc... (Rob)

Putting up these pics for two reasons: 1 to show how awesome doing the silvia 'switch' on a 240, and 2: cause i wanted to see if i could actually post pics without messing it up. Anyway, heres a stock 240, and its japanese counterpart (couldnt quickly find a completely stock silvia pic) Cool, huh? Another reason to live in japan. (They sure are adding up)

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Re: turbo potential of 240sx, 2.5RS, 2.Slow, etc... (chi_rado)

i have heard of neuspeed, z-engineering and autotech making sc for the 2.0L...atp, teampsi, matrix engineering makes turbo kit for the 2.0L...there are many aftermarket stuff like JE piston and rods, etc for the 2.0L...even a 2.1L conversion kit...the thing is the 2.0L compression is a bit high for boosts over 10spi...but the piston upgrade or just using a thicker copper gasket will lower the compression...lot of people with really high boost like 15psi and up go for stand alone engine managment system like sds, etc...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

What happened after 22k miles? I sold the turbo, TEC-II, wheels, big brakes, suspension, etc and bought an M Coupe. I love the M but I do miss the boost.

Au revoir, mon boosted ami.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

CorradoVR6: oh, i thought you blew up your engine or something... "just a little more boost... ah crap, 13.5 again? okay okay... just a liiiiiiittle more...."
chi_rado: isn't the first one an s13 while the second is an s14? maybe i'm mistaken... i think the s13 is wayyyy cooler.

·
Registered
15,173 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Au revoir, mon boosted ami.[HR][/HR]​
Wouldn't it be "Au revior, ma boosted amie."?
I mean, cars are women. We've had this arguement in the PNW forum

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,555 Posts
Re: turbo potential of 240sx, 2.5RS, 2.Slow, etc... (chi_rado)

quote:[HR][/HR]Putting up these pics for two reasons: 1 to show how awesome doing the silvia 'switch' on a 240, and 2: cause i wanted to see if i could actually post pics without messing it up. Anyway, heres a stock 240, and its japanese counterpart (couldnt quickly find a completely stock silvia pic) Cool, huh? Another reason to live in japan. (They sure are adding up)[HR][/HR]​
Ummm...the first one is a stock S13, the second one is a modded S14. Big difference. North American S14s look almost exactly like Japanese ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts