VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, just had the turbo replaced on my '03 TDI Golf, after just 5K. The problem was a loss of power - on the highway I had zero passing power. Yet it was intermittent. One CEL later and they found the problem in my turbo. They replaced the whole thing, citing the problem with the first one as sticking vanes.
So, with that, I ask, is there any special way I should be treating the turbo? I do a lot of city driving, so there isn't a chance for lots of great acceleration. I usually shift around 25-2700RPM. I read somewhere that you should, every once in awhile, send the throttle to 4000RPM to give the turbo a workout. Is this true?
Any turbo advice for a noob would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
Re: Turbo Questions (Wpg1EhTee)

Mash the accelerator right to the floor once in a while. (And I mean at least once a day, not once a month ...)
Use only synthetic oil of the proper viscosity and specification approvals.
Not much else can be done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Turbo Questions (Wpg1EhTee)

Same thing has happened to me about every 5,000 miles or so. Turned out it was a clogged fuel filter, not the turbo. Under warrantly a new turbo is great, but once you have to shuck over those bills, the filter tends to be a cheaper investment, so next time get a second opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts