VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, wanted to get a thread going on yet another turbo build in hopes the information can help others, and so that i can show everyone what im going to be up to.

I posted this in the 3.2 technical forum as well, and tmoura was kind enough to throw a few things at me, really appreciated brother. He mentioned to try and make sure i get all the little parts and pieces ordered ahead of time best i can so the shop doesn't have to wait for parts to show up during install, etc.

Right now i'm basically in the part collecting stage, i've got mostly everything (i think) researched and laid out to what i'm picking up to put this setup together. It's somewhat of a custom build, and i'm looking to be 450-500whp on 15-18 pounds.

Id love for any help as to things i might be over looking or missing, or just general pieces of advice from anyone who wants to add.

Car is currently cammed, 264/260's
Car is running a fluidampr

- Gen 2 PT6266
- .81/AR
-630cc injectors
-46mm Vband precision WG
-8.5-1 headspacer
-Inline fuel pump
-4" MAF
-UM tuning

-Coated rod bearings
-ARP rod bolts
-ARP Headstuds

-HEP SRI
-HEP intercooler

-Custom 3" vband downpipe, with WG return into exhaust, into 3" with a single 100 cell HFC

-DKM MS Series clutch and flywheel

While it's apart:

-SAI delete
-Catch can
-Eboost street EBC
-Crackpipe, waterpump, thermostat and housing
-All new timing chain components

So, that's my layout. The install work and custom plumbing is all being done by a fantastic shop in NH and by a guy that has done these types of builds many times.

I just saw in the 3.2 sub forum a post by a guy with essentially the same setup in a 3.2swapped mk3, made 420whp on 14psi with the stock intake mani.

I would be plenty happy hitting those numbers on low boost (14psi) but i have a feeling with the cams, damper and SRI, low boost might make closer to 450? Then high boost (18-20psi) id like to see where that brings me... My entire goal is to keep this build south of the transmission threshold. I don't really have a definitive answer on what that is on these cars but i know you get into it much more the more north of 500 you go. I don't track the car, it's my fun weekend car, and will be daily driven on low boost.

Anything i'm over looking or missing on? Any and all advice is welcome. I want to make sure i try and cover everything because i only wanna do this once. Reliable, simple and clean turbo build that can make upper 400's whp.

pics of said car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had one just like cant wait to see what you do with the car

Thanks man, excited for it too

Clean f'n car. I like the carbon fiber work and the blue spark plug coil covers. Where did you get those?
Thanks brother, very much into the clean and functional. The carbon parcel shelf is an old school piece made by Freedom Designs. Never seen another one come up for sale, sold unborn children for it at the time haha. Blue coil caps i picked up off of ECS

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm running that turbo with the .81 AR housing. I chose that to try to soften the midrange torque spike when boost comes on for the engine and trans. Peark tq is around 4300. IIRC 500ish whp for me is ~17 psi but different cams and intake manifold. I'd definitely recommend doing whatever you can for heat management. Ceramic coating/heat wrap/turbo blanket/low temp tstat and fan switch if thats an option.

Don't forget spark plugs I don't think you mentioned that. I'm running DCPR9EIX. OEM coilpacks are fine.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running that turbo with the .81 AR housing. I chose that to try to soften the midrange torque spike when boost comes on for the engine and trans. Peark tq is around 4300. IIRC 500ish whp for me is ~17 psi but different cams and intake manifold. I'd definitely recommend doing whatever you can for heat management. Ceramic coating/heat wrap/turbo blanket/low temp tstat and fan switch if thats an option.

Don't forget spark plugs I don't think you mentioned that. I'm running DCPR9EIX. OEM coilpacks are fine.
Awesome man, thanks for that info. I've been dying to hear some real world feedback on this motor with this turbo.. I've been leaning towards the .81 because of that torque spike. Just don't wanna dig into the trans right now. Really impressed with those numbers, what cams are you running? And just a different brand SRI?

Have thought about some heat management, I think ceramic coating the downpipe would be wise, at the very least using DEI titanium like i have on my headers now. Any idea how well the turbo blankets do real world?

Def gunna do plugs. Thank you for that part number as well. I'll note the low temp thermostat as well

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry I misread and thought you were going to be running the OEM plastic manifold. Yes just a different brand of SRI and running 268/272 cams as opposed to 264/260.

I went with a PTP blanket and haven't had any issues with it yet after ~3 years but the car isn't driven that often.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I misread and thought you were going to be running the OEM plastic manifold. Yes just a different brand of SRI and running 268/272 cams as opposed to 264/260.

I went with a PTP blanket and haven't had any issues with it yet after ~3 years but the car isn't driven that often.
Great to know about the blanket. I think that with some DEI around my downpipe will help keep those temps down at least. I also don't drive my car super often, last year (i hate to say this) i think i put on ~1500/1800 miles... granted here in VT 5-6 months is garbage undriveable, and it rains a lot in summer and i hate having to wash the car all the time anymore.. Sounds like that will suit my setup.

But your cams should account for some more power at the same pressure, so i would think i can see around that 500whp with a few more psi, maybe up to 20. Heard a few other guys say head studs should be done. This the case in your build? Or did you pass them

·
Registered
668 Posts
Here are the numbers I made with almost the exact same parts you want to run and a .68AR. The only real difference is I'm running stock cams..

The gauge on the dyno was low by 3psi. The maxes should be 14psi and 21psi. The numbers are also FWD since I'm still a GTI.

Here is Stock manifold vs SRI, there isn't much of a difference. The main thing was probably the several months between dynos.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the numbers I made with almost the exact same parts you want to run and a .68AR. The only real difference is I'm running stock cams..

The gauge on the dyno was low by 3psi. The maxes should be 14psi and 21psi. The numbers are also FWD since I'm still a GTI.

Here is Stock manifold vs SRI, there isn't much of a difference. The main thing was probably the several months between dynos.
In my first post, your post was exactly the one i was referring to, with that 420whp number on stock manifold. Thanks so much for posting this here. Do you feel like the .68ar housing was perfect for this motor? did it feel like maybe it could have been pushed up the band more? I know you weren't using an 02M tranny but a similar 6 speed. Really curious how much of a difference those two make in terms of feel on the street. At least now i've got a couple guys in this thread alone that have run both.

Not much of a difference between the manifolds, but regardless gunna go with the SRI, love the layout of the plumbing as well vs. the stock manifold.

All this leads me to believe i should fall somewhere right in that 450-500whp number with this setup, and that's perfect for me thanks so much for your help, truly appreciate it

·
Registered
668 Posts
In my first post, your post was exactly the one i was referring to, with that 420whp number on stock manifold. Thanks so much for posting this here. Do you feel like the .68ar housing was perfect for this motor? did it feel like maybe it could have been pushed up the band more? I know you weren't using an 02M tranny but a similar 6 speed. Really curious how much of a difference those two make in terms of feel on the street. At least now i've got a couple guys in this thread alone that have run both.

Not much of a difference between the manifolds, but regardless gunna go with the SRI, love the layout of the plumbing as well vs. the stock manifold.

All this leads me to believe i should fall somewhere right in that 450-500whp number with this setup, and that's perfect for me thanks so much for your help, truly appreciate it

Oh, Nice! You said MK3 so I didn't know you were talking about me. Mine is a MK4 that is a AWD swap away from being a R32.
The trans is still an 02M, the R32 is an 02M GQV where mine is the 02M FZR. It just a different bell housing because of the transfer case mounting and different gear ratios.

I can't speak to much on the AR. I haven't ridden in any other comparable turbo cars or seen any dynos from a 6266 .81. If you're worried about the trans go bigger. You can always by a 68 housing later.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, Nice! You said MK3 so I didn't know you were talking about me. Mine is a MK4 that is a AWD swap away from being a R32.
The trans is still an 02M, the R32 is an 02M GQV where mine is the 02M FZR. It just a different bell housing because of the transfer case mounting and different gear ratios.

I can't speak to much on the AR. I haven't ridden in any other comparable turbo cars or seen any dynos from a 6266 .81. If you're worried about the trans go bigger. You can always by a 68 housing later.
Right on brother, i apologize not sure why i thought mk3 swapped haha but that's rad. How's she running? I think ive made the choice to go .81.. and you're right, that can always be changed if i hate it but i have a feeling i won't. I'll see how it goes for my driving and if for some reason i wish it was a hair snappier i'll go to .68, but sounds like i'll be happy. Thanks so much for the feedback

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a great graph. That's honestly perfect for what i'm shooting for.. shows nearly 600chp, and 440-460whp if i'm reading it correctly. which is plenty for me. Where did you dig that up from? I've searched high and low and havnt come across that dyno yet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's a great graph. That's honestly perfect for what i'm shooting for.. shows nearly 600chp, and 440-460whp if i'm reading it correctly. which is plenty for me. Where did you dig that up from? I've searched high and low and havnt come across that dyno yet.

It's my graph (I posted earlier) but you're reading it incorrectly. The Avg HP is the average across the pull. 600 is whp.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
It's my graph (I posted earlier) but you're reading it incorrectly. The Avg HP is the average across the pull. 600 is whp.
No that's great, saw you've been posting just didn't know it was your setup! But wow, that's some serious power haha.. but i like where that torque comes in.. do you have a lot more fueling and boost pressure to bring the power to that level?

edit: nevermind.. doing this on my phone is confusing me, i'll get onto the computer. But that's at around 17psi for your setup right?

I think i'll be right in the wheelhouse of where i wanna be with a max boost pressure of ~20psi.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That graph was ~21psi. I have the ProMAF and 870cc injectors.
Ok, awesome to learn all of this. Thanks so much for sharing with me. I know variables in builds always change things but i’m feeling confident in my part choices with everything you guys are sharing. Huge help

1 - 20 of 188 Posts