VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
This years projects are all done.. finally got the rear big brakes finished and they came out great.. a lot of work but, brake pedal feel is just as good as with the fronts only, and this thing will make your teeth fly out when you put them down.. eventually i’ll pull the rotors and paint the inner most portion black to match the hats, and keep the rust from forming on the surface where the pads don’t swipe.. E brake function retained with the OEM calipers although i have one side that the piston didn’t release but, i’ll get that sorted soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Added a new piece to the pile..

10.5x22x3.5 HEP intercooler.. 650hp efficient, went with the bigger one just to make sure i’d be covered down the road..

Next order is for the turbo and all the associated stuff from CTS.. getting ready to send the turbo manifold to jet hot for a coating

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Another little update.. planned on picking up the turbo next with all that associated stuff but with all the Black Friday and cyber Monday sales places were doing I decided to save some money and buy as much stuff on sale that I could..

- Full timing chain service kit
- Aluminum thermostat housing
- New 80deg thermostat
- 42DD wrinkle black crack pipe
- MRP Performance 4” MAF w/ air straightener
- CTS SAI blockoff plate
- Walbro 255 in-line fuel pump
- Spulen 4” open element air filter
- bunch of vacuum hose
- ARP rod bolts
- ARP 3.2 head studs from USP

Saved a little over $300 by buying now versus in the spring..

Probably have to place my order from Howie for the Intake manifold soon so he has plenty of time to get it made before spring...

Love when parts start stacking up, feels real now haha..

Hope everyone has an awesome holiday

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I’m biased, but hit up p-Motorsports on IG, his intake manifold is the best unit currently available IMO

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwUu6dBjfJk/?igshid=zem81pn8zpty
I knew I had seen that manifold somewhere, and I remember the name now. I’ll for sure check him out.. it looks like such a quality piece. That’s why I had decided on Howies, not sure there are two better choices out there. Fitment was spot on I’m sure

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
I knew I had seen that manifold somewhere, and I remember the name now. I’ll for sure check him out.. it looks like such a quality piece. That’s why I had decided on Howies, not sure there are two better choices out there. Fitment was spot on I’m sure

its a great piece, no need to modify the TB (like CTS) or any concern with interference with the coolant sensors/flange....pic of general fitment

.:R32 - Winter 17/18 by fouckhest, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
its a great piece, no need to modify the TB (like CTS) or any concern with interference with the coolant sensors/flange....pic of general fitment

.:R32 - Winter 17/18 by fouckhest, on Flickr
It’s a beautiful piece.. I hadn’t heard of any TB or fitment issues with HEP’s SRI either.. the CTS piece on the other hand I’ve heard them all.. my friend and the one who’s going to be doing the install and all the fab work threw that out there last year when we went over the build, he’s done a few setups with the CTS piece, and just told me if I could to find a better solution.. these are for sure the two!

One thing to consider with your timing chain service kit is that you’ll probably need a longer upper chain to accommodate the head spacer.
Incorrect - Stock Chains work with HG spacer
Yea was under the impression OEM length chains were gunna be fine.. although I will say I’ve definitely come across the longer chain thing somewhere, in what instance would people need a longer chain? I get obviously if the head was spaced out wicked far but is it just from people running a much larger head spacer? Gunna use the CTS HS.. 8.5:1

·
Registered
2004 R32, 1984 Rabbit Convertible, 2017 Sportwagon 4motion
516 Posts
My assumption was from HPA. Even their smallest kit requires a longer chain. Your spacer may be smaller than theirs though. Just wanted to put it out there as a consideration.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
My assumption was from HPA. Even their smallest kit requires a longer chain. Your spacer may be smaller than theirs though. Just wanted to put it out there as a consideration.
I have an upgraded DTM kit with their head spacer on mine and although it was tight, I was able to re-use my original timing setup.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yea man, I appreciate you bringing that up for sure. I’m glad it isn’t the case with this setup!

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Really good to know. How do you like the DTM setup?
I like it - It's definitely a good and well thought out intro kit!
I more or less immediately upgraded to that of their 20th kit however, along with the UM "fix-it" kit and did basically my own custom install with everything while only using a portion of what HPA provides. In saying that, I definitely could've saved some money in the long run had I just bought the main pieces separately/independently..but oh well, it's long in the past now. lol

Everything (still) works as it should, no regrets there. Unfortunately I can't elaborate on it too much as (sadly) I've probably put less than 50 miles on my R in the last 5-6 years.. and had pretty much completely transformed the car at the same time of the turbo install/build. ..Life changes and a fleet of vehicles have made it a collectible in the garage for the time being. :( One day I'll get back to it,..maybe. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I like it - It's definitely a good and well thought out intro kit!
I more or less immediately upgraded to that of their 20th kit however, along with the UM "fix-it" kit and did basically my own custom install with everything while only using a portion of what HPA provides. In saying that, I definitely could've saved some money in the long run had I just bought the main pieces separately/independently..but oh well, it's long in the past now. lol

Everything (still) works as it should, no regrets there. Unfortunately I can't elaborate on it too much as (sadly) I've probably put less than 50 miles on my R in the last 5-6 years.. and had pretty much completely transformed the car at the same time of the turbo install/build. ..Life changes and a fleet of vehicles have made it a collectible in the garage for the time being. :( One day I'll get back to it,..maybe. :facepalm:
I hope you do get back to it! I thought I drove my car very little, I think I put 1800 miles on it this year.. Granted Vermont weather is variable at best, and because of the salt brine they use on the roads, I wait til a few good spring rains and no snow to get it out, and it went away beginning of November this year before it snowed a few days after.. rains all the time so on those days I just leave it at home and take the truck now that the S8 is gone.

Really cool to hear how you worked your setup.. I had thought a long time about going with a full HPA FT kit.. I think I’ll have a high ceiling with this build, even though to start I’ll be running it at a mild level. I’ll run out of fueling before anything else I think, but I wanna see how that 450-480whp range feels, and if for some reason I need more, I’ll go pro MAF and up the fueling and boost to get into that 500-550whp range but, I’m not sure I’ll even care to. I think I’ll be so damn happy just to have my car boosted that I’ll just enjoy it for a while...... of course that’s what they Alllllllll say haha

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Few more parts arrived today from mk4dan, who by the way is one hell of a guy and stand up seller. If you’re eyeballin anything in his for sale thread buy with confidence.. He got a banged up slave when he got the clutch, DKM shipped him a new metal upgraded one, which he then passed onto me, but unfortunately it arrived broken, and he already took care of it for me when he didn’t need to in my opinion. The community is great because of guys like him

DKM MS series clutch
Precision 46mm wastegate
CTS headspacer and gaskets

Spice approves

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Few more parts to the pile..

Turbosmart Eboost Street
AEM UEGO AFR gauge
New South oil temp gauge
Vibrant catch can
Bosch 550’s w/ adapters
Turbo oil feed/drain lines and fittings

Car gets dropped off May 4th.. basically just about ready to order the turbo, get my manifold from Howie @ HEP.. and she’s under the knife

Hope everyone’s staying safe and healthy

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Turbo just ordered..

Gen2 Precision 6266 / .81AR / Tangential T4 / Vband discharge

Also Howie @ HEP should be finished the manifold this weekend...

That’s all the parts I need, car goes into be built May 4th... and then fingers get crossed and anxiety will set in until it’s done and I’m breaking in the clutch

41 - 60 of 194 Posts