VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out Eurotuner Mag, page 21 May 2002 edition. Could it be true that 1.8T, in the Beetle Turbo S stock formation puts out over 200 HP vs the advertised 180?
If so does this hold true for the 1.8T Jetta?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Re: Turbo S posts 215 HP from Factory (raewhalon)

Until some dyno sheets start showing up, I wouldn't bank on that being 100% true.
They also mention that the vr6 were good for 190 hp.....Not from the dynos I have seen.
There has already been a thread about mystery 210HP 1.8t's. If you do a search, you can probable find it.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Check out Eurotuner Mag, page 21 May 2002 edition. Could it be true that 1.8T, in the Beetle Turbo S stock formation puts out over 200 HP vs the advertised 180?
[HR][/HR]​
The Turbo S 's engine is not really different from the 2002 Golf and Jetta. The only cars of any year that have dynoed over 200hp crank are ones with at least a chip, so unless VW chipped these differently (very unlikely) it ain't true.

·
Banned
2,127 Posts
Re: Turbo S posts 215 HP from Factory (dbrowne1)

Aren't you guys glad that the Turbo S makes (let's say it does) 215 hp, and is still slower than the 2002 GTI 1.8T....
The NBTS weighs more than the GTI. So I think it'll need those extra ponies just to keep up, despite the 6 speed.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts

Man, Were are u guys getting these numbers!!!???
Are we magazine racing again??

[Modified by stone, 6:03 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
37 Posts

The April issues of both "EuroTuner" and "European Car" both discuss the Turbo S as being 180 HP. I'm guessing maybe the article was with consideration to mods.
By the way - I heard the 2001 Wolf is really 571 HP, VW just understated the numbers because they don't want to take sales away from the new Lamborghini Murcielago!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: Turbo S posts 215 HP from Factory (missouriJ)

Anyone know if the cabriaro is going to get the 1.8t motor?
If so, I want to be the first to claim its making 215 HP.
Hell, every other 2002 VW 1.8t has had this story applied to it.....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Re: Turbo S posts 215 HP from Factory (SatanX2112)

Actually the latest European Car states that the motor has already been dyno'd at 210-215HP crank more than once on different cars. It also states that the car runs a full second faster quarter mile than VW's claims. It is very common for vw to under-rate it's HP and 1/4 nubmers unlike Honda and Mazda (that also is a direct quote from European Car). I'm not saying it's true but they are a pretty well respected magazine, I don't think they'd print total BS.
- As a side not, EC claims that the common VR6 174 HP regularily dyno's at 180-189 in stock form. Who knows...

·
Banned
13,061 Posts
Re: Turbo S posts 215 HP from Factory (Dirtydog)

quote:[HR][/HR]...European Car states that the motor has already been dyno'd at 210-215HP crank...[HR][/HR]​
If they printed that in the magazine, you can take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure they did not remove the engine and dyno test it. I'll also assume they did not state the figure they used for drive train loss.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Re: Turbo S posts 215 HP from Factory (Electron Man)

"The NBTS weighs more than the GTI. So I think it'll need those extra ponies just to keep up, despite the 6 speed."
Oh no...not this again. So far it looks like the variation is 47 lbs. I don't see where an S will be straining to keep up with your precious GTI

[end flame]

[Modified by BMGBeetle, 3:23 PM 4-8-2002]

·
Banned
900 Posts

There is no way in hell that it has 215 hp. The newest issue of either Car and Driver or Motor Trend only got like a 15.3 at 90 out of it in the 1/4th mile. The GTI ran a faster time.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Re: Turbo S posts 215 HP from Factory (Golf 2 Slow GLS)

I never said it did. Read my post. I'm dissagreeing with the "beetle is heavier than GTI" remark.
"There is no way in hell that it has 215 hp. The newest issue of either Car and Driver or Motor Trend only got like a 15.3 at 90 out of it in the 1/4th mile. The GTI ran a faster time." Mag times=grain of salt...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Re: Turbo S posts 215 HP from Factory (BMGBeetle)

Ahhh who knows, lets hope all the magazines aren't completely full of it!
I'm sure we'll see some dyno's soon. I think EC also mentioned that the ECU has been re-mapped once again for a little more smoothness and power. Only time will tell!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.