VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm dabbling my feet into what I've heard is the most technical of all technical forums. So just a quick one.
I've got a 90 Jetta GL with an Audi 9a 2 liter motor in it. The motor is fresh, less than 10 k on everything including a kraftswerks tranny.
I'm thinking about going T, but I really am NOT looking for anything crazy. Here's what I'm looking for:
I'd like to see 160 WHP (so about a 60HP gain)
I'd like to run a low boost application (sub 10 psi)
I'd like to see full boost by 3k, pref. lower.
Is it possible? Can you guys reccomend a turbo?
I'm planning on running a small sidemount IC (probably a saab blackstone IC or somethin to the effect.) Along with either a G60 Harness or MegaSquirt for fuelining issues.
My hope is that running a low enough boost setup and not going nuts on power will allow me to retain daily driveability.
If I've got my head up my ass, please feel free to tell me http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: Turbo sizing question (sevnseat)

Grab a turbo off of someones 1.8T. That will provide you at leat that much power... infact I can get you one for $150 CND if you're internested.
one thing you need to clarify. You've stated your motor was 9A, but an Audi. The (a was used in VW's exclusiely AFAIK, or at least for sure in NA. Its the 16v. Do you mean you have the 3A 8v Audi? (Dang is it 3A? I'm always forgetting that engine code)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Turbo sizing question (Action Jackson)

yep, 3A my bad, I'm an eediot and forget numbers too all the time. I think it's a 3A at least. I'm dead sure it's an Audi Bubble Block 2 liter 8v. Just can't quite remember the code
I looked into the K03 cuz of the economy of it (they are dirt cheap), but I really didn't want to do that due to the stupid flange. I'd need to make a manni for it to fit on my 8v (old manifold pattern, not the new one found on the 1.8s).
Plus if I ever did decide to upgrade, it would be a lot easier to have a T03 bolt pattern on my manifold.
Thanks

Modified by sevnseat at 10:47 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
Re: Turbo sizing question (sevnseat)

If you were to slap on an ATP Stage 2 kit, you could get 180-190 whp out of the motor and, contrary to high-hp naturally-aspirated engines, it would be civilized and daily driveable. That's the whole beauty of turbos, they hang-out and chill when you're not driving hard, and are right there waiting for you when you need to get the stupid driving out of your system. You can have a high-power turbo motor that drives and behaves like stock when not under boost.
Some people have had decent results with TDI setups.
If you want to keep the cost down, it's going to be a lot harder, and it will require a lot more work and more research on your part, but it's doable.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Turbo sizing question (Agtronic)

Thanks,
The kit is appealing under th auspices that it's a kit. I don't have the money for a kit really, so it's going to have to be a custom setup. Plus, where's the fun of a kit?

I'd like to go junkyard wherever possible, but I'm not willing to sacrifice a couple things. I'd rather pay the money for a turbo with little/no shaft play then save the $$ and risk bad things happening.
I'd really like a higher torque, on boost quick setup than an obscenely high HP setup.
I'd also like to keep boost low so that I'm not gonna have to worry quite so much about the motor itself getting unhappy and doing something rash.
I'm thinking about fuelining it with either a G60 system or a Megasquirt standalone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts