VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a little research on the Turbo Timer install procedures on 2002 1.8t's. Apparently it can be done but there are two existing problems:
1) your airbag light will remain on because you are splicing into it's wiring
2) your alarm will not arm until the turbo timer is done idling your car
pls. correct me if I am wrong on any of those points. what i need to know is:
1) has either one of these problems have been fixed?
2) will the problem still exist with aftermarket alarms?
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Install on 2002's (Magsapino)

My new TT will arrive on Tuesday, so I'll figure it out on the 03's. Should be the same on the 02's.
Don't go poking around with a standard test light either, get one that is airbag safe and can detect both pos and ground.
Anyone that can't arm, have you traced the comfort control module leads yet? That's what I'll be doing and using a relay to trick it as to thinking the car is "off" so you can arm the alarm and walk away.
It's just a matter of (my) time

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Install on 2002's (syntrix)

From what I've read, the problem with the 02's is that the comfort module either isn't there, or it is wired in a different way now. The relay trick doesn't work anymore. No one has been able to successfully install a TT on a 02 without lights popping up, or having to leave the alarm unarmed.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

run a search, i can think of about 4 or 5 topics in the last two weeks about this subject... due to the comfort control module being routed differently there is no way to make it work with out disabling something (alarm or airbags)
in response to getting a non-factory alarm.. yes it will work fine with most factory alarms since they usually aren't mapped into the comfort control module... but really since the turbo is watercooled... you dont need one but if you insist on letting it cool... take the 2 minutes

i know of at least two people on vortex that are trying to figure out a way to get around it...

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Install on 2002's (Blue.Jester.02Gti)

i have a timer on my 02,and i never had the airbag light on but i do have issues with the factory alarm.then again i put a clifford in it so that part doesnt bother me anymore.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

i IM'ed mrdejected tonight to see what his progress was and he had given up. Syntrix, you might want to talk to mrdejected to see what he went through and that might save you some trial and error time.
i am very interested to see this project through completion. best of luck with this project. keep us informed.
matt

·
Registered
3,791 Posts

the airbag light was an effort to get the car to arm properly, ie idle and be able to lock with the remote. under a normal install tapping into that wire would have never happened. so far from what i understand the CCM is routed differently. and yes some people have attested to seeing an 02 arm properly, so it is possible, just noone wants to tell. i personally do not know where the CCM module is to begin with, so i can't take my hack at it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Install on 2002's (rex_racer)

If your car has power windows it will have to connectors its a black box a little smaller in width than a CD Jewel

[Modified by wtmsvw, 3:13 AM 9-28-2002]

·
Registered
853 Posts

If the airbag light is on then there is a fault in the system. That DOES NOT mean that the airbags will not fire in a collision. The airbag control module will do its best to fire whichever airbags off it deems correct to ignite.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Install on 2002's (rex_racer)

If you try to turn the car on with the cluster removed, the airbag light will stay on.
Also, if you don' know where the CCM is, how would it be possible that you know what you are doing?

I get mine on Tuesday... if there's a way, I'll figure it out.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts

ok, i'm not understanding the air bag light thing that you are talking about. and as for the CCM thing, my brother does the electrical work for me, i just have to get information first, on what to wire etc... and he never really bothered to look for the CCM anyways. when i got my car it was one of the earliest 02s so we didn't expect the problem to arise in the first place...

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Install on 2002's (gwebel)

quote:[HR][/HR]If the airbag light is on then there is a fault in the system. That DOES NOT mean that the airbags will not fire in a collision. The airbag control module will do its best to fire whichever airbags off it deems correct to ignite.[HR][/HR]​
Sorry it took me so long to respond to this. A person on the provided thread says a friend of his contacted VW/VW roadside assistance and was told the airbag would NOT fire if the light was on. It makes sense too, if there is a fault in the system then there is a chance they could go off when not needed, or vice versa. If they fire improperly during an accident then they could hurt you more than without them.
here's the link:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=321632

·
Banned
29 Posts

I installed a Greddy Turbo Timer on my 2002 GTI, and I don't have any lights popping up. Why would you splice into the airbag wires, I don't know?! Its a simple install, and you are making it harder then it is! Only problem I have is that the car won't arm itself even after done idiling. All you do is turn it off, close the door, and lock car manually with key, and let it idle down.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.