VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
5,638 Posts
Re: (MrPiZaT)

Quote, originally posted by MrPiZaT »
what is the prupose (im an uber n00b who is attempting to gain all the knowledge in the world through asking dumb questions)

It alows the turbo to cool down, saving the life of your turbo. Rather than beating the piss out of your car and turning it off when you get home, it keeps your car running for a minute or two allowing the turbo time to cool down.

· Registered
65 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Installation Was a breeze (eclepticmind)

I recently had an HKS TT installed, works great with manually setting the minues for cool-down, but I could not figure out where to hook up the wires for the speed and rpm sensors to use the automatic calculation for cool-down (or to use the performance features). Have you done that? If so, where do I connect them on the VW side?
BTW, love the way it flashes between VW BLUE and VW RED for the countdown! I didn't know that until I tried it the first time.

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Installation Was a breeze (Phantazm)

Quote »

is that the funky humming noise i hear when i turn off the car?

No. (Especially if you don't have an aftermarket turbo timer in the first place.) When you drive your turbo gets hot. When you drive hard the turbo gets very hot, so hot that it actually glows. See for yourself some time -- drive the car hard for awhile and when you get home, open the hood and look down where the turbo is and you'll see a glow. Obviously this is easier at night.
Without a turbo timer, in order to prolong the life of your turbo, you should run the engine for about 1.5-2 minutes at idle in order for the oil to continue to circulate and to cool the turbo. Otherwise, the oil gets cooked pretty bad in the scorching hot turbo and it eventually will lead to an early demise of the turbo unit.
A turbo timer allows you to turn the key to the off position and remove the key, lock the car and go on your way but the engine will actually idle for awhile on its own and then shut off. Different turbo timers work differently: some by a preset timer and other by monitoring your driving to determine how long the car needs to idle.

· Registered
858 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Installation Was a breeze (turbovw18)

i also have the HKS turbo timer, its a sweet timer, if you guys want to get the other stuff working, you need to tap in behind the guage cluster, lemme find the correct threads so you know which wires to tap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.