VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend helped me install a greddy turbo timer into my 20th, but now my aftermarket alarm won't start when the turbo timer hits zero. I am not an expert on relay systems and electronics, but I thought maybe someone on here would have some helpful information that i could relay to my friend. thanks much-
jon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Problem (BLKjonnboyRBT)

If I knew how to post topics in a reply I'd hook you up, all I can say is work that search button bro, there are at least two answers to your problem out there... the one I'm going with is the companion... I like the option of being able to disable it by turning off the turbo timer for those dreaded dealer visits
... hopefully the guy with a link in his signature will chime in, wish I remembered his name

·
Banned
5,712 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BLKjonnboyRBT »
My friend helped me install a greddy turbo timer into my 20th, but now my aftermarket alarm won't start when the turbo timer hits zero. I am not an expert on relay systems and electronics, but I thought maybe someone on here would have some helpful information that i could relay to my friend. thanks much-
jon

Ha ha haaa thats funny!

·
Registered
363 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BLKjonnboyRBT »
jon

This site might help. This guy figured out a way that makes the alarm and turbo timer work at the same time.
http://vwroadtrip.peterbeers.n...s.htm

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Problem (spoon8818)

My take on a turbo timer

Why do you need one??

From what I know they are installed to let the oil drain out of the turbo while the car is at idle after you shut the car off.
This draining of the oil while the car runs is suppose to legthen the life of the turbo and/or engine.
If VW and other car makers spend millions of dollars engineering these cars, why woulnt they engineer in the electronics to do this??

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Problem (Boston20th)

Quote, originally posted by Boston20th »
My take on a turbo timer

Why do you need one??

From what I know they are installed to let the oil drain out of the turbo while the car is at idle after you shut the car off.
This draining of the oil while the car runs is suppose to legthen the life of the turbo and/or engine.
If VW and other car makers spend millions of dollars engineering these cars, why woulnt they engineer in the electronics to do this??

you seem mis-informed

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Problem (Grogthefrog)

Quote, originally posted by Grogthefrog »

you seem mis-informed

just a little...
after running your car somewhat hard...the turbo gets really hot and the oil running through it can turn into little pieces of hardened oil and over time this can really **ck up your engine...i think..

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Problem (htchinesep)

Quote, originally posted by htchinesep »

just a little...
after running your car somewhat hard...the turbo gets really hot and the oil running through it can turn into little pieces of hardened oil and over time this can really **ck up your engine...i think..

that pretty much sums it up.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Problem (Grogthefrog)

Quote, originally posted by Grogthefrog »

you seem mis-informed

how is he misinformed, he phrased it a bit differently than most explanations but thats the jist of it.

·
Registered
53 Posts

bro just stick to the standard alarm...i have no problems with my greddy turbo timer having the standard vw alarm. the only anoying thins is that u have to lock the car with the key...not good u have a couple of
's on u...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Problem (reddanger)

Quote, originally posted by reddanger »
bro just stick to the standard alarm...i have no problems with my greddy turbo timer having the standard vw alarm. the only anoying thins is that u have to lock the car with the key...not good u have a couple of
's on u...

as someone else already posted:
http://www.turbotimercompanion.com/ <-- pretty cool

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Re: (onyonees)

Quote, originally posted by onyonees »

http://members.shaw.ca/autowindow/index.html
autowindow tt/rs: closes windows and sunroof and locks the doors. can also roll windows up and down from the factory remote or disable it from the factory remote.

Hello Guys, This info is WRONG!
The Auto Window TT/RS will NOT work when the engine is runing with the turbo Timer.
Go to the Autowindow site and check for the TT/RS specs and you will read the following: (Default). When Turbo Timer cuts the ignition after leaving the car, TT/RS locks the car and arms the alarm.
This mean that when you leave your car while the engine is runing with the Turbo Timer, THEN and only when the TT shut off your engine is that the TT/RS circuit will lock the doors and arm the factory alarm.
In any part of that site says the TT/RS circuit will allow you to use your factory remote to lock the doors while the Turbo Timer is runing your engine.....If it say so, please show it to me!
With the TT/RS you will have to lock your doors manually with the key blade, then when the TT shut of the engine it will arm the factory alarm.
So I ask you these, When is that you going to take advantage of the window and sunroof clousure if you can not use the remote while the engine is runing your engine?????

The COMPANION is the ONLY circuit on the market that allow you to use the factory remote to lock and arm your factory alarm while your turbo Timer is runing your engine.
For more info check my web,
THX,
Isaac

Modified by Turbo Boss at 11:14 AM 2-20-2004

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Re: Turbo Timer Problem (spoon8818)

Quote, originally posted by spoon8818 »

This site might help. This guy figured out a way that makes the alarm and turbo timer work at the same time.
http://vwroadtrip.peterbeers.n...s.htm

Oy. I used the MWG circuit and it works great. Here's the full link to my Turbo Timer page. I added a brief discussion of the wiring recently.
http://vwroadtrip.peterbeers.n...l.htm
As someone posted earlier, this is the link to the MWG circuit.
http://www.geocities.com/chaco....html
I haven't used Isaac's Turbo Timer Companion yet. At some point in the future I'll probably mess around with it. For right now, I'm happy with the MWG. It does everything I want it to do and I have no reason to make any changes.
Luis, the guy that makes the MWG, is a great guy that did a ton of research to make a product to specifically help the Vortex community. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to Isaac for his work too.
PEace
PEter
PS: Grog: Sorry I'm slow on finding the Turbo Timer thread. I'm doing everything a little slower these days.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Re: (Turbo Boss)

i was not trying to say that u can use the factory remote when the car is running. my bad for the vague post. the tt/rs works just like the mwg trigger circuit. after it shuts off your car, it can lock doors, close sunroof and windows.
however, whenever the car is off, the remote works just like stock. when the car is off, u can roll the windows up and down as well from the factory remote.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Re: (onyonees)

Quote, originally posted by onyonees »
i was not trying to say that u can use the factory remote when the car is running. my bad for the vague post. the tt/rs works just like the mwg trigger circuit. after it shuts off your car, it can lock doors, close sunroof and windows.
however, whenever the car is off, the remote works just like stock. when the car is off, u can roll the windows up and down as well from the factory remote.

Hello onyonees, yes basically the AUTOWINDOW TT/RS is a COPY of the MGW circuit. But usually the people that have a Turbo Timer always get out of the car with the engine still runing with the turbo timer so in my opinion the window roll up feature the TT/RS has are worthless because you can not use your factory remote to lock the doors and neither arm the factory alarm while your Turbo timer is runing theengine http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Botton line: The COMPANION is the ONLY gadget on the market that allow you to use the factory remote on any 02/03/04 to lock and arm your factory alarm while your turbo Timer is runing your engine http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Best regards,

Isaac

Modified by Turbo Boss at 4:35 PM 3-14-2004

1 - 20 of 35 Posts