VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is not about numbers. it is about efficiency with stock internals. i am new to the 1.8t platform, and i dont necessarily know the best parts to use but give them to me and i will install it.
i was wondering what bolt on turbos i can run with the stock internals. i am a poor college student and plan to do the installations myself. i also do plan to get some EMS i dont know who just yet though. remember i want to keep the stock internals, so no kits please. this will be run with a 2.5 catback and downpipe, so i dont want too big turbos that will run past efficiency. even better if anyone knows what cars i might want to look at for turbos that will bolt on if i go salvage yard hunting. i may not know what turbos exactly will bolt and run efficiently with stock internals, but i do know that 15psi on a bigger turbo is better performance than 15 psi on my small turbo, so that is why i just do not go with a chip. plus i love working with my hands and dont mind time under the car, i am a builder.
if anyone can help me with this thank you. i have done searches but it seems everyone is looking to talk about numbers, or are talking about kits.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Re: turbo upgrade question (bacek)

First of what do kits have to do with keeping stock internals?? Second off look for I belive name is MRP2001GTI or something close.
Check out vwturbo.com they have a kit starting around 2k. If you want to do custom, popular set ups now include either a t3/t4 and gt28rs ball bearing, to name a few. You will need a manifold, injectors, maf, all kind of lines, custom turn dp, and some sort of diode or softwear. Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i didnt mean internals i meant keeping the stock manifold plus the stock internals. sorry for the misunderstanding.
see i dont want to have to change all those things, such as injectors manifolds, might change maf though. i want to try to keep those stock. there has to be people out there that have some setup like this, where virtually the turbo is the only big change.
thanks for the info though. it did help me a bit.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Re: (bacek)

You wont really get the benefit of having a larger turbo if you dont change those other things. If your just looking to put a bigger turbo on then go for the ko4 but dont expect much.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was thinking ko4, but that was the only possibility i could think of. i was wondering if anyone else on here had done something like this.
and liek i said i wasnt looking for big numbers, you must have misunderstood my original post i said i was looking to keep efficiency. for big numbers i would probably go t3/t4.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: (bacek)

bro, I live in Thousand oaks... but on topic now... Like the man said before.. if you don't swap out the stock stuff, such as lines, mani, maf, fuel pump, injectors, spark plugs, ect... then the power and efficiency will not be as expected... The whole point of upgrading the turbo is to do it right the first time around, and make sure that the turbo has all the necessary components to accomidate all that boost so it runs smoothly... If you decide to go custom... thats great.. its less expensive and has just as much potential as any other kit around, but you must do it right the first time. I would also recommend a new clutch.. but that is if you are going for lots of power... its all on your hands.. thats my 2 cents.. good luck

Modified by MRballer337 at 7:44 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it does seem right. i was just talking from my experience with other turbo cars. i guess ill just run a mbc or a cheap electronic boost controller until i gather all the necessary parts thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts