VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello VWvortex,

I am no stranger to the site. I am a former 2002 MK4 VW GTI owner. My previous username was "autobahn1.8t" on here but due to my recent purchase, I felt like it was time to start fresh so here we go...

My MK4 was getting to the point where it was just too unreliable and costing me more time and headache than it was worth so I started saving and looking for a new car and vehicle to purchase before the end of 2016. I initially wanted to purchase the new 2017 Honda Civic Type R. I even went as far as putting a down payment to be the first to own one in the Central Florida area. The car was rumored to be available summer 2016. As time went along, Honda took their time releasing details about the new Type R and when it would be released. I still to this day have no idea when will be for sale here in the United States.

During this wait, my MK4 was getting worse and worse. The oil light would come on while driving, the breaks were failing, ad countless other things were coming up. The car was no longer safe to drive so I had to act fast. Honda had yet to provide any new details on the car I wanted so I was forced to look elsewhere. I started looking around for used BMW 335i, R32 Nissan Skylines, and a few others. I never thought I would be able to afford the new Golf R so it wasn't even a thought to look hard for one. Then one day while browsing through autotrader.com, I saw Golf R for sale within my price range except it was all the way down in Miami which is about 3.5 hours away from me here in Orlando. I called the owner and made arrangements for us to meet one day after I got off of work to test drive it. This Golf R was the exact color I wanted (Onyx White was second). After a quick test drive and look around the car, I knew I had to have it! I drove down two weeks later after I came back from a trip to Rochester, NY and picked up the car. I was able to purchase the vehicle a little over $34,000 with only 5,000 miles on the odometer which was perfect to me.

Every day I walk outside in the morning and look at the car, it puts a smile on my face. I love this car and is such a blast to drive! I can't wait to start modifying it in the near future one step at a time while also considering Volkswagen's warranty. But something tells me that will be voided soon... :rolleyes:

Vehicle: 2016 Volkswagen Golf R (Base) with 6 speed manual transmission
Color: Limestone Gray
Mileage: 5,100

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This past week was a sad but good week for me. I sold my MK4 GTI in less than a day without me even putting it up for sale officially. Sold the vehicle to my good friend's ex-girlfriend out of all people.. :screwy:

I got enough in the sales price to make me comfortable with getting rid of it. At least it made covering state taxes on the Golf R much easier. :thumbup:

Here are some photos of the car in its "glory day" to kinda get an idea of my style. I will likely do something similar with the Golf R.

069 by turbovw1, on Flickr

On a side note, living in Florida, it tends to rain a lot and I didn't want to ruin my OEM floormats so I decided to pick up some new ones. I installed these today and I absolutely love them! Easy to clean and keeps my carpet nice and dry. Definitely recommend these to any other Golf R owners out there if you are in the market for some.

Manufacturer: MAXpider 3D
Part Number: L1AD03301509

IZAP9179 by turbovw1, on Flickr

JDYT4263 by turbovw1, on Flickr

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Since purchasing the vehicle a few weeks ago, I have been wanting to detail the car to bring out the true shine of the Limestone Gray paint. I have been wanting to try Chemical Guys' products for a while now and pulled the trigger on some products.

I first washed the car, clayed the paint, put on a layer of pre-wax glaze, and then finished off with a wax and sealant. I am very pleased with these products! After roughly 5 hours of detailing in the hot Florida sun, I could not believe how gorgeous the Limestone Gray paint looks.. :eek:

I found a few scratches from the previous owner but nothing too major. I decided to go for a photo shoot with my Nikon camera at the local Sanford Marina. Unfortunately the weather turned out to be a little bit overcast and I was not able to get the sunset photo I was hoping for. Here are a few shots I took..

·
Registered
592 Posts
^^^ Great shots. I too have LSG and I love the color. Great job on the detailing. I splurged on OptiCoat because I know I'm too lazy most of the time to really detail my car as well as you did.

+1 on Chemical Guys. Great products.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The car looks perfect. Same as mine. :)
One advice , leave it at that state. Do not ruin it pls.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car looks perfect. Same as mine. :)
One advice , leave it at that state. Do not ruin it pls.
Thank you!

I don't plan on touching the body at all. Just a few tasteful mods down the road.

- United Motorsports Flash
- Downpipe
- Intake
- Full Dampening Coilovers
- 3-Piece Wheels (BBS, CCW, ect)
- European Mirrors
- LED Tailights

My goal is to have a 400hp / 400tq car that is OEM+ with a nice suspension set-up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thank you!

I don't plan on touching the body at all. Just a few tasteful mods down the road.

- United Motorsports Flash
- Downpipe
- Intake
- Full Dampening Coilovers
- 3-Piece Wheels (BBS, CCW, ect)
- European Mirrors
- LED Tailights

My goal is to have a 400hp / 400tq car that is OEM+ with a nice suspension set-up.
We have the same goal/mod list, so we should definitely do some mods together since we live relatively close to each other! :thumbup:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have the same goal/mod list, so we should definitely do some mods together since we live relatively close to each other! :thumbup:
We can start with my 034 insert since you just did yours. I got mine in the mail last week and haven't had a chance to install it yet. :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Finally made some time over the past few weekends to install a few parts I've been wanting to put on the car. Nothing performance related yet but I'm really happy with them all so far.

Manufacturer: Xuji
Part Number: Golf R Leather Steering Wheel Cover (Perforated / Smooth)

One of my biggest complaints about the Golf R is that the steering wheel didn't feel "thick" enough. It didn't make sense to me why it felt so small for a performance vehicle. I also wanted to prevent any wear on my steering wheel so I decided to look for a quality cover.

I came across the Xuji Steering Wheel Cover here in the forms and decided that was the route I Would go. Please pardon my sewing skills but overall I am happy how it came out. The wheel feels great now and I feel like I have more grip with the perforated leather sides. Love this mod for the price I paid for it! Only complaint is, it took me over 3 hours to complete everything which I am sure I could have done quicker if I were to do it all again. The gray thread is slightly off of the OEM stitching and a little thicker but you can't really tell unless you look closely.

Manufacturer: Volkswagen
Part Number: VW9366

If you have ever been in Florida during the summer months, you know how hot it can get. Best way to reduce the interior temperature of the vehicle while parked is to use a quality sunshade. I found this OEM Volkswagen sunshade for around $30. The difference in temperature between using the sunshade and not can be as much as 20 degrees. This helps protect the interior pieces of the vehicle (dash, steering wheel, etc.) and reduce cool down time for the air conditioning to work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Another area of the Golf R that I felt needed to be upgraded was the drivetrain. With the manual transmission, there is quite a bit of engine movement you can feel through the shifter and I felt it needed to be tightened up.

Manufacturer: 034 Motorsports
Part Number: 034-509-1022 (Version 1 Billet Alluminum Dogbone Mount Insert)

I read many good reviews of 034 Motorsports Dogmount Insert. After seeing the video demonstration on how much engine movement was eliminated, I made it my first "performance mod" if you would even call it that.

I really didn't notice any additional cabin noise or vibrations in the cabin of the vehicle. Power is delivered to the ground a lot smoother and the gearbox feels much tighter when switching between gears.

Install only took 10-15 minutes. Just make sure you have a torque wrench to tighten the bolt to proper specifications.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Looking good. I love how you wanted to "try" Chemical Guys and basically bought 15 of their products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking good. I love how you wanted to "try" Chemical Guys and basically bought 15 of their products

I only intended on buying 4 or 5 of their products. Next thing I knew was my cart was filled with 10+ products. :laugh:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Another "mod" I have been wanting to do to the car is add more storage space. Thanks a few YouTube.com videos, I was able to successfully accomplish opening the closed arm rest and it works like a charm! Definitely recommend this "mod" to anyone. One day I will buy the European part to obtain full functionality but in the mean time, this will do.

Part Number: 5G0863328L82V (Rubber Armrest Insert)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Another "mod" I have been wanting to do to the car is add more storage space. Thanks a few YouTube.com videos, I was able to successfully accomplish opening the closed arm rest and it works like a charm! Definitely recommend this "mod" to anyone. One day I will buy the European part to obtain full functionality but in the mean time, this will do.

Part Number: 5G0863328L82V (Rubber Armrest Insert)

That looks deep as hell. How deep is it really?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I just got rid of my TT-RS and bought a MK7 R. Did not want to do it but that's another story. lol.

One of the first things I said while driving the new R was......WTF is up with this steering wheel. I will be doing the exact same thing as you! It needs to be thicker and have a better feel to it for sure! :cool: Ordering some Chemical Guys products as well. :D Your ride is looking good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I always thought how stupid it was for Volkswagen (and other new car manufacturers) to not include a spare tire and a jack kit. I hated the idea of having to tow my car every time I would have a flat tire so I made the decision to order a European Spare Tire Kit. I am so glad I did, since I had my first flat tire just a few weeks ago. Pulled over in a parking lot, took off my flat tire, and installed the spare. I was back on the road in 15 minutes. I strongly recommend everyone to buy this for their vehicles. It will come in handy one day!

Part Number: 5K0601011AA (Spare Wheel)

Part Number: 5QM011221 (Crank)

Part Number: 5C0011031B (Jack)

Part Number: 6QE012219A (Wrench)

Part Number: 5G0012115N (Toolbox Lower Foam Trim)

Part Number: 5G6863459L82V (Cover For Lock Carrier)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts