VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Snowmageddon is here. The jetta does alright but there is one huge gripe. TC, kicks in whenever i need to drop the boot and dig through something. It drives me nuts and almost got me stuck a couple of times today.
How can i disable T/C, i am ok with disabling ABS in the process, but i cant figure out where the fuse is.

To be clear this is for Extremely limited use, i dont need a solution thats viable for everyday driving, just something i can do with a foot of snow on the ground.

any ideas?

·
Registered
264 Posts
So Snowmageddon is here. The jetta does alright but there is one huge gripe. TC, kicks in whenever i need to drop the boot and dig through something. It drives me nuts and almost got me stuck a couple of times today.
How can i disable T/C, i am ok with disabling ABS in the process, but i cant figure out where the fuse is.

To be clear this is for Extremely limited use, i dont need a solution thats viable for everyday driving, just something i can do with a foot of snow on the ground.

any ideas?
What happens when your temp solution to disable ABS works and gets you through a pile of snow, then you crest a hill and cant stop going downward?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What happens when your temp solution to disable ABS works and gets you through a pile of snow, then you crest a hill and cant stop going downward?

This is why i hate this forum, You ask a question and all you get is people telling you why you shouldnt do x y or z. No one here actually answers anything.
Everyone thinks they know better than you.

to answer your question 1. I dont plan to go up any major hills, its all flat roads anywhere i would go.
2. if i was stupid enough to get in that situation you angle into the snow bank on the side of the road and let the deep snow slow you. If you get stuck you dig your self out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
it really is ridiculous that these cars don't come with an esp-off button...
I had asked a shop about possibly disabling it with Vag-Com, but was told it's not possible. Not sure if anyone on here might know more about that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
There's a method I read about that if you start your car a certain way, it will temporarily disable ESP, but it re-enables again after the car detects the wheels turning normally.

I can't seem to find it though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is why i hate this forum, You ask a question and all you get is people telling you why you shouldnt do x y or z. No one here actually answers anything.
Everyone thinks they know better than you.

to answer your question 1. I dont plan to go up any major hills, its all flat roads anywhere i would go.
2. if i was stupid enough to get in that situation you angle into the snow bank on the side of the road and let the deep snow slow you. If you get stuck you dig your self out.
Ok champ, good luck with all this.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I got stuck in my Jetta 3 times on the way home from work yesterday mainly due to the tcs in this car. If it let me spin them a little i probably would have got out of the situation. But the total loss of power to the wheels once they slip is horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Orrrrr, OP could use it long enough to get themselves out of whatever predicament they're in and wanting the solution for in the first place, and (shocker alert) promptly proceeds to reenable it after said predicament. Sheesh.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's a method I read about that if you start your car a certain way, it will temporarily disable ESP, but it re-enables again after the car detects the wheels turning normally.

I can't seem to find it though.
I posted this up on how to disable it without the switch, but it only works for a few feet before it senses the back wheels turning, and it re-enables the Traction Control. Still have not tried it on Ice or Snow to see if it allows enough spin to get unstuck...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7277545-How-to-disable-Traction-control-and-ABS-without-installing-a-button

·
Registered
264 Posts
Orrrrr, OP could use it long enough to get themselves out of whatever predicament they're in and wanting the solution for in the first place, and (shocker alert) promptly proceeds to reenable it after said predicament. Sheesh.

And if you thought that was a shocker alert, Ive got another for you
http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Braki...raction-Control-Button-Kit-Square-Button.html

They make a kit for this, not sure if youve heard of it :thumbup:

The premise of my disagreement with pulling fuses and **** is the ease of re-enabling. Whereas using a button would be the intelligent option. You may say "well, I have fuse "abc" pulled (or whatevery your corner-cut method is) Ill just get through this rough spot and then stick the fuse back in once I get home, I should be fine" then bam, you hit a granny in her walker crossing the street.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
10,945 Posts
I got stuck in my Jetta 3 times on the way home from work yesterday mainly due to the tcs in this car. If it let me spin them a little i probably would have got out of the situation. But the total loss of power to the wheels once they slip is horrible

Same.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought the wiring and the switch from ecs tuning...I've yet to install it but I'm in the same boat as you....without being able to turn off my traction control it makes it a hassle to get through some snow...I'm just waiting for warmer weather to go out and work on my car

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have to agree - the traction control system on these vehicles is absolutely awful. I'm thankful that my car has the button pre-installed, as I would have been stuck many times already without it. Shifting power for control/traction is one thing, but cutting it out completely is unacceptable.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.