VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 693 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,943 Posts
Wow, neat project.

I can't believe you painted that wood floor. :(

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh, and now you need one of these to go with the finished job. This is a Model T-era Ford service sign, much like the one in the picture. You can see it's double sided, just like the one in your 20's picture.
Yeah it could for sure use one, it is on the list to hunt down in the near future.

Is there a living space attached to it or is that all just office space?
The lower part of the building is office space with the upper two floors being my living space.

Wow, neat project.

I can't believe you painted that wood floor. :(
I was hoping not to, but doing multiple repairs to sections that were going to potentially be issues for trip hazard for the rental office was more the worry.

There was already existing office spaces where the old line shafts ran for the grist mill. This area never was used for machining so the floors ended up staying in much better condition when these offices were put in ~15 years ago.

Common kitchen area for the office spaces

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,943 Posts
I was hoping not to, but doing multiple repairs to sections that were going to potentially be issues for trip hazard for the rental office was more the worry.

There was already existing office spaces where the old line shafts ran for the grist mill. This area never was used for machining so the floors ended up staying in much better condition when these offices were put in ~15 years ago.

Common kitchen area for the office spaces

Ahh, got it. That is a really awesome old building. Thanks for saving it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
18,454 Posts
That is really awesome. Great job!

But what do you mean, the lake broke and it was repaired? I take it this is either a small man-made lake or a reservoir of some sort?

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
What an amazing building!

The historical aspects of the east coast make these old buildings so much more than just 4 walls and a roof. I love it.

·
Registered
44,354 Posts
Oh man, this just keeps getting better and better.

I love the "complaint department" door. Is that department run by Helen Waite? "If you have a complaint, go to Helen Waite!"

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
That is really awesome. Great job!

But what do you mean, the lake broke and it was repaired? I take it this is either a small man-made lake or a reservoir of some sort?
In 1878 a severe storm caused it to break and take out the building along with many other structures in town. The Dam was repaired and the mill. After which it was taken down and moved off the stream closer to the road but still next to the lake and became a Ford dealership. The lake is now a tourist attraction with plenty of swimming and non powered boating.

Lake from atop the earthen dam.

What an amazing building!

The historical aspects of the east coast make these old buildings so much more than just 4 walls and a roof. I love it.
Yeah the old mill buildings have lots of history when they we built and employed in many cases entire families and or entire towns for generations.

Oh man, this just keeps getting better and better.

I love the "complaint department" door. Is that department run by Helen Waite? "If you have a complaint, go to Helen Waite!"
Beware of trap door into basement ;)

Looks great! :beer:

Where in MA?
30min West of Amherst :thumbup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Looks great! :beer:

Where in MA?
Well he did say Western MA, so anything outside of 128 counts.

I'm going with the Rt 7 corridor (N. Adams, Adams, Pittsfield)

Now you've got me looking for historical lake failures in MA as well as old Ford dealerships

Thanks. Just what I needed.

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Now you've got me looking for historical lake failures in MA as well as old Ford dealerships

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going with Huntington. It's the only flood listed in 1878 that's west of Amherst. But I can't see any reason to have a Ford Dealer out in the boonies. Everything else is way east or south (Westfield)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Coolest project thread I've seen in ages, kudos to the awesome work my friend!

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
Since it was a mill, and you have so many leather belt shaft holes, you should totally do old fashioned ceiling fans.

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Nice seeing all the pics in one thread. great progress Noah.

I used Legacy for my garage floors, did you use clear on them?
Thanks Frank! Yeah ended up not getting clear from our conversation about how yours ended up yellowing. I did get flakes but chose not to use them.

Been following the updates on IG, awesome to see the more detailed story behind the madness :thumbup:
:thumbup:

Since it was a mill, and you have so many leather belt shaft holes, you should totally do old fashioned ceiling fans.

Love those! Yeah at some point might have to go that route. There is part of the line shaft but not much else, but that could change with some digging around some of the old mills that they are tearing down in the area.

21 - 40 of 693 Posts