VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 693 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
So what are the plans then here, I don't want to get too personal, but it looks like the shop is for your personal use, you'll rent out the office portions inside the house and inside the garage, then live on the top floor of the house portion? Does that sound about right?

Place is amazing.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The power belts made me think of the Red Mill in Clinton, NJ and all the belts taking water power through the floors and throughout the building. What an OSHA nightmare. :D

http://www.theredmill.org/
Wow that looks like one hell of a place to check out on a fun day trip. Yeah OSHA would have a field day with open belts and old punches :eek:

So what are the plans then here, I don't want to get too personal, but it looks like the shop is for your personal use, you'll rent out the office portions inside the house and inside the garage, then live on the top floor of the house portion? Does that sound about right?

Place is amazing.
No problem, pretty much sums it up. Figure if I ever settle down the office space can me turned into more of the residence section with simply adding some internal stairs.

Last night made some simple progress getting the air compressor bolted down and some lags installed to be able to put legs on the new landing for stairs going into the attic for storage. Moving things up and down ladders is never fun like winter wheels :mad:

Landing is seen here is made as large as possible to make moving things up and down the stairs as easy as possible without installing a old freight elevator. Perhaps some day a freight elevator will be in the cards as I love the things in old buildings.

Breaking out the Bosch Hammer drill makes quick work of drilling the concrete

Next up was to find some some isolation pads for the air compressor. Digging around in all the spare parts boxes did not come up with anything other thank a chunk of an old solid rubber engine mount. So with use of the hack saw cutting some 1/4" sections off I now had some pads.

Isolated and lagged in

Ready to rock and roll again with supplying air in the shop.

·
Registered
44,312 Posts
Hey, would you do me a favor and at least half-ass something so that I can feel better about my garage? :p

Have you thought about a large powered dumb waiter to move things to the upper level? It'd be easier than installing a full freight elevator and would do the hard work for you. Also, is that still oil heating? I haven't seen one of those tanks in quite a while! As you probably know they can make great wood burning stoves or BBQs! The space appears to be just about perfect for a dumb waiter, too. :)

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hey, would you do me a favor and at least half-ass something so that I can feel better about my garage? :p

Have you thought about a large powered dumb waiter to move things to the upper level? It'd be easier than installing a full freight elevator and would do the hard work for you. Also, is that still oil heating? I haven't seen one of those tanks in quite a while! As you probably know they can make great wood burning stoves or BBQs! The space appears to be just about perfect for a dumb waiter, too. :)
:D

Did not really think about the dumb waiter idea....now that you have me thinking about it as that sounds like a great little project to build from scratch for moving wheels and such up and down from the attic.

·
Registered
27,769 Posts
Wow that looks like one hell of a place to check out on a fun day trip. Yeah OSHA would have a field day with open belts and old punches :eek:
It really is a neat place and would be a nice day trip from western MA. It's right off 78 in Clinton, NJ. Go for the car show in June. Just search "Red Mill NJ car show."

Check this out ... someone on a BBQ site I'm on went to an event in MO. There was a woman painting from a picture of the Red Mill that I identified for him. Pretty funny. :p

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44962

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Silica dust, I'm calling OSHA. :p:laugh:

That's what we did in our shop since it's got a loft, we've got that's raised and lowered with a pulley system and a WARN electric winch. Works really well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
44,312 Posts
That's what we did in our shop since it's got a loft, we've got that's raised and lowered with a pulley system and a WARN electric winch. Works really well. :thumbup:
An electric winch is perfect for that job. 1/2 of the mechanical issues solve themselves with that. Pretty please pics of pulleys perchance? :p I'd like to see how that's laid out. :beer:

You can buy dumb waiters as a kit, but I just don't think that'd be "right" in this old building. It needs some age appropriate bits to make it fit the feel of the building.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
An electric winch is perfect for that job. 1/2 of the mechanical issues solve themselves with that. Pretty please pics of pulleys perchance? :p I'd like to see how that's laid out. :beer:

You can buy dumb waiters as a kit, but I just don't think that'd be "right" in this old building. It needs some age appropriate bits to make it fit the feel of the building.
Agreed, using an old or aged pulley system in combination with using a channel/tube guide might do the trick with some good time put into it. Thanks guys for another project to add to the short list :laugh:

·
Registered
44,312 Posts
Agreed, using an old or aged pulley system in combination with using a channel/tube guide might do the trick with some good time put into it. Thanks guys for another project to add to the short list :laugh:
Yesssss. With little space or time I have to live vicariously through others. Thanks for coming through for me! :laugh: :beer:

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Progress over the past two weeks has been slow but still moving along. The other ram on the fork truck decided to give up the ghost so that was first priority to fix. Pretty straight forward considering that it looks like it has not been apart since 1970's. I had the method down pretty solid from doing the first one earlier this fall and with having all the parts on hand it made it only a half day project. HGM is a great source for parts for these old fork trucks.

Leaking seals seen here, I did not want to have to spend hours cleaning up hydraulic oil off the freshly painted floors.

First thing was to disconnect the chains.

Using a strap wrench was the quick trick to break the collar free where I could then use a drift punch to rotate the collar quickly out. Note the strap threaded through the bearing housing to be able to lift the cylinder out. At 60+lbs it is always a fun experience added with wearing hydraulic oil :mad:

Cracked seal and trashed wiper seal

Putting the seals into a plastic ziplock bag then heating up water to get them pliable on a hot plate does the trick to get them to slide right into the gland nut

More progress on the stairs as things are getting a bit cold these past couple nights as winter seems to be coming. Using the fork truck to catch the stucco and debris from opening up the hole further now that it does not leak all over the floor worked pretty well.

Stairs framed in between the platform and the attic

Took a quick trip down Friday night to drop off the Street TT to its new owner in PA and pick up a MK2 GTi heading up to Maine for a friend in a quick 24 hour tour of the north east.

Good bye TT :(

MK2 loaded up to bring back to Mass.

Sunday was able to then tackle the lift raising. Taking each post outside and using the strap method was able to right them up and bring them in.

"Does not matter if it clears by half an inch or a mile. Clearing is clearing! "

There is some sag to the I-beam which resulted in measuring to find the high spot to be able to snake the lift in on the forks. At first attempt I was like "Ah crap I am going to have to lay them back down and have someone help lift them up in place...." But alas things just sort of worked out!

First one in position. Placed them on cardboard to prevent marring up the floors while doing final positioning them. Walking them off the forks was one of the more sketchy moments of the day as it required all 150lbs of me bear hugging the thing to get it to move.

Placed second post and time to call it a day. Going to tackle the rest of assembly this week and wiring to hopefully be operational this weekend or next to be able to replace the downpipe on the Saab.

·
Registered
44,312 Posts
Wait... you have that killer shop space and a MkII GTI. I don’t like,you any more. :mad: ;)

Also, how do you get the cardboard out? :wave:

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Wait... you have that killer shop space and a MkII GTI. I don’t like,you any more. :mad: ;)

Also, how do you get the cardboard out? :wave:

Well the MK2 is only doing a short stay until it continues its travel north to its new owner :p

Set it on fire.

;)
mmmmmm......fire......

I will most likely trim the cardboard to the base are and then slide it out after done shifting them into final position prior to anchoring them down.

·
Registered
44,312 Posts
Set it on fire.

;)
I was thinking to cut it down to a little bigger than the footprint, loosely bolt it to the floor and rock to one side to partially remove, rock to the other side to finish. Repeat as necessary. If some stayed underneath just retorque as the cardboard rots. :laugh:

You know, because fire bad. :)

41 - 60 of 693 Posts