VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

61 - 80 of 693 Posts

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Well the MK2 is only doing a short stay until it continues its travel north to its new owner :p
Awwwww. :(

mmmmmm......fire......

I will most likely trim the cardboard to the base are and then slide it out after done shifting them into final position prior to anchoring them down.
Tricky. Just stay safe... Dems is heavy! :beer:

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I was thinking to cut it down to a little bigger than the footprint, loosely bolt it to the floor and rock to one side to partially remove, rock to the other side to finish. Repeat as necessary. If some stayed underneath just retorque as the cardboard rots. :laugh:

You know, because fire bad. :)
Rocking them is how I got them into place so far from bringing them in on the forks. Just requires a good bit of patience and not getting greedy with it has to be done right meow.

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
So this weekend had some slow moving progress in the way of getting the lift in final position thanks to @secondgen and @vwjunkie42 who stopped by to lend a hand. Next up is to just finish the wiring and leveling of the arms.

With the stairs all finished, it was time to turn some of the old shipping brackets from the lift into some support brackets for the stairs.

So broke out the plasma cutter and chopped some sections to take back down to the shop on Sunday to machine up.

Milled and drilled for lag bolts

Next up was to move the Bendpak scissor lift from the other bay into the main center area. First had to go dig this plate of steel out of storage to set the lift onto to prevent marring up the floor.

Then with some brute force and use of the fork truck was able to slide it carefully onto the steel plate.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Hey Noah, took a drive by there yesterday saw you working on things. Just wanted to say you're doing some awesome work with the place! I remember when Robs Auto Body was next to your shop. It's nice to see this happening in more or less my backyard!
-Dylan

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
What a great space! You're living the bachelor car guy's dream right there my man.

Excellent work so far. :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Hey Noah, took a drive by there yesterday saw you working on things. Just wanted to say you're doing some awesome work with the place! I remember when Robs Auto Body was next to your shop. It's nice to see this happening in more or less my backyard!
-Dylan

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Thanks Dylan! Saw you cruising by!

What a great space! You're living the bachelor car guy's dream right there my man.

Excellent work so far. :thumbup:
:beer::beer:

With a long Thanksgiving weekend it made for some time to get some things moved around and out of the way for wall/ceiling painting. So first up was to move all the wheels and tires out of the east bay to be able to move the wood working stuff into that area.

Up and down stairs made for a great morning exercise. Then followed by a couple hundred old WWII books that needed a better home than sitting on the floor in the garage.

Then came time to move all the wood working stuff out of the way to be able to address some peeling paint.

Not going to lie, this straight up sucked to scrape off all this paint from what looks like old water damage.

Lots of paint chips

By this time Jeremy (secondgen) and Rick (sir8valve) stopped by to lend a hand with the first round of painting. I have to say many thanks again guys as it was a lot of work to attempt to knock it out in an afternoon.

First coat by the stairs area

The entrance to the east bay, with that wonderful parting line between the old once was white and the new white paint.

Where the stock rack use to be and with the first coat of paint. Some areas will not need two coats, but areas like this will get two coats due to the staining.

Outside wall to the assembly/parts room with all the holes in the sheet rock filled.

Can thank Jeremy for this great pano shot

·
Registered
590 Posts
Very nice. Looks like good work. Are the stairs going to stay as "feats of strength" or will you put on railings? I figure if you leave them, darwin will work his magic. right?

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Very nice. Looks like good work. Are the stairs going to stay as "feats of strength" or will you put on railings? I figure if you leave them, darwin will work his magic. right?
Thanks! Yeah once the stairs are painted up I will be doing some railings that are removable at least on the end so if needing to bring something awkward up into the attic it will be easier. Plus having railings will finish the overall look and safety of the stairs.

·
Registered
20,598 Posts
This shop is so cool. Deserves to be a vintage TV/movie set someday.

I see so many old 'garages' just falling apart that have been left to crumble. Really neat to actually preserve one.

Aand I don't know whose is whose but jealous of having both the 996.2 and the 928. Looking at it now it seems to be various guests... now a 997, TT, etc.

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,083 Posts
Wow, this looks awesome man good work. And here I was bitching about getting my dining room painted by Thanksgiving. :laugh:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
It's looking even better!

Once everything else is done are you thinking about painting the lift? It'd look fantastic with old industrial green paint and black. Perhaps green/brown or green/tan. :heart:

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
This shop is so cool. Deserves to be a vintage TV/movie set someday.

I see so many old 'garages' just falling apart that have been left to crumble. Really neat to actually preserve one.

Aand I don't know whose is whose but jealous of having both the 996.2 and the 928. Looking at it now it seems to be various guests... now a 997, TT, etc.
Thanks! Yeah it has been a long road so far and still many more weekends and years to go! The 928 belongs to secondgen that needs some good loving after the waterpump ate into the block :(

Wow, this looks awesome man good work. And here I was bitching about getting my dining room painted by Thanksgiving. :laugh:
:laugh: Some times it just takes some good old brute force and sheer will power to get projects rolling along. I always try to lay out a plan and pick away every night for an hour or two. This keeps the ball rolling and allows tasking smaller projects that all combined could easily take up an entire day on the weekend, but singly picking one a night tends to work out well. This I always finds allows for the weekends or holidays to be big day projects that require extensive works.

It's looking even better!

Once everything else is done are you thinking about painting the lift? It'd look fantastic with old industrial green paint and black. Perhaps green/brown or green/tan. :heart:

Hadn't thought about that yet........crap guess another project added to the list :D

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
:laugh:

But it'll look great! :D
It would, perhaps using the same color green that I used in the offices would work well or the mustard color. First up is to get the Corrado back up and running after being apart for nine years :eek: So the big push is to get up and running to be able to tackle that car starting after the first of the year and then the 996 gets a motor drop.

Looks really good!

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
It would, perhaps using the same color green that I used in the offices would work well or the mustard color. First up is to get the Corrado back up and running after being apart for nine years :eek: So the big push is to get up and running to be able to tackle that car starting after the first of the year and then the 996 gets a motor drop.
I would love to see some pics of both of these coming back together and being torn apart respectively. :laugh:

The shop is turning out great. What a fantastic space. :cool:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
That'd be fine. :)

Of course you won't be able to use the same kind of paint, but that's not a problem. It should be a simple scuff and paint. That'd be a cinch compared to the dumb waiter or the Corrado. :thumbup:

The shop is turning out great. What a fantastic space. :cool:
It really is. I am sooooo jealous.

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
This weekends progress was scattered with a proper case of ADD. First up was to get some new heat ducting run into one of the offices prior to it getting really cold. Using a strap and some duct tape to hold the heat ducting in place while getting things positioned worked like a charm. Once positioned using some self tapping screws to secure everything in place.

Providing the heat directly into the new office space worked like a charm with only some small blood letting from those pesky sharp sheet metal edges.

Next up was to get the base plate bolted down. The install kit from Greg Smith Equipment did not come with this type of hardware. So turning down some bushings I had kicking around from building control arms would work the trick to keep the base plate from pushing down on the hoses/cables.

With the wall next to the lift all painted, it was time to get some of the old posters up to add some much needed flair to the room.

Nick (vwjunkie42) and Jeremy stopped by and lent a much needed hand to build the new doors between the center bay and the east bay.

Closing off the east bay was a substantial gain in no longer needing to heat non-work space, but still allow easy access into the area if needed.

61 - 80 of 693 Posts