VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
561 - 580 of 738 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input on the clutch issue guys.. :thumbup: Might try a spacer or something. not sure yet.
Car is at the media blaster and all hot parts are out for ceramic... Been doing some work on the flares.. Made a 3d model of ones way oversized. I think I can make them out of thin fiberglass sheet then cut them way down to fit proper. They need to be about 5.5" deep in the rear lower portion where they will blend with the bumper, So I made the model 7" deem. They will be cut down to only about 3" deep at the top of the wheel. ..

I had to grind and chip out all the undercoating from the wheel wells.. 2 days of hard labor.. "good times"

trimmed out some more weight out of the rear

With these templates I can make the flares out of anything.

First ones are lowes fiberglass shower liner.. :laugh:

I used a protractor to measure the angle off my laptop for the flares. 70 degrees

If anything Ill chase this guy down and sell him a set..

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 ·
The 24v 02Ms use a "cover plate" between the engine and trans. I don't think its thick enough to complete stop the rubbing, but it can't hurt.

02M301159F - http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKIV--3.2/ES272445/

Thanks for that part number, I ordered a set, Maybe 2 sandwiched together will solve the issue...

If you're at TX2k next year, I need a ride. Car is looking more and more badass man. :thumbup:
That will be my goal, however Im not sure Ill be ready for those guys by then..

I am from VT and I would make a trip to you just to see thing in person. Amazing build you have here :beer::thumbup:
Thats a long haul, but you are welcome to check it out anytime... I should be doing some test hits at bandamire late summer..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
wow, those fender flares look like something from group b rally.
regarding that nasty undercoating, a heat gun and putty knife seem to work pretty well.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 · (Edited)

Another twin engine car about to get into 8's

Mickey garages car is cutting 1.3x 60ft nice

Launching on 26's in 2nd gear on stock o2m's :thumbup:

I am wishing I had the cage built for 7.50's.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 · (Edited)
Got it back today, clean pallet to work with. I have been thinking a lot about the color. I was thinking just vw surf green with a matte finish. Now I am leaning heavily towards House of Kolor's Planet green with several coats of clear. With the flares and trim in a matte black finish. I am planning on painting the carbon hatch and hood to match the rest of the car. However Im not against doing a rally stripe or something with a clear finish to reveal the carbon underneath. Roll cage matte black with green water tanks. Or green cage with black tanks. Decisions decisions.

Looks like I have a few days next week to get started on the body work.

Planet green

If anyone has a line on some decent mk3 2 door roof rail rain gutters, please let me know.. Would be nice to find a new set in some warehouse somewhere...

I found the left side here
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_III--VR6_12v/ES304733/

but I cant seem to get the part number for the right

thanks

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Did you check Germanautoparts.com ? they might have them

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
Thanks for the part number, seems vw no longer has them available.. Looks like Ill have to find some used ones..

Got a roll of lightweight fiberglass to make the flares from with some reinforced mat behind. Looks like it will work.

Not quite sure how to finish off the backs just yet.. It took me all day to make the template for 1 flare very time consuming to say the least..

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 ·
That car is awesome, I have seen the build thread before. I like those arches, but want mine to be on a 70 degree angle.

I got the rears mocked up, still a long way from finished but I can get an idea how they will look.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #577 ·
So Im about to order a chute for the car. According to the chart I need the #430 http://www.stroudsafety.com/DragChutes.html

Can someone tell me If I need the spring or air launcher? Not sure when those will be necessary. I would think those would help more in the 1/8 mile. I will have an onboard airsystem so The air launcher would be cool. However If it never gets used would be unnecessary added weight (along with the billet valvecovers , glass sunroof, flat screens, and other stuff)

Im thinking lime green chute :rolleyes: unless someone tells me not too... lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
Chute is needed over 150.

Go for the air launcher. Personally, I don't like the idea of a large spring at nut-height right in front of you as you pack the chute.

For the air chute, install a ball valve on the tank that makes your shifter and chute live at the same time, that way you never forget to turn it on.

561 - 580 of 738 Posts