VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 Gli with the original grey&black recaros, the back of the drivers side seat was fine one moment, ant the next, it slanted on an angle. Not only does the seat look awful because the headrest and seatback is slanted to the right at a 20 deg angle, it is very uncomfortable on longer trips. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, if it is cureable, and how to go about straightening it up. any help is appreciated
-J

· Registered
4,335 Posts
Re: Twisted Recaros (whofarzed)

I've never done it to a recaro but i imagine the process would be similar.
-take the seat out.
-use needle nose pliars to undo all the upholstery clips
-pull the upholstery/foam off the seatback
-find where the problem is
(on mine the seat backframe was cracked at the shoulders, causing the slant)
I took the seat to a small muffler shop where the guy welded it with a line feed welder in 5 minutes.
cost me 5 bucks and a couple hours of my time.

hope that helps

[Modified by lyledriver, 8:00 AM 4-5-2002]

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Alright, thanks for the info, I was hoping I wouldn't have to take it out, as the tracks are a bit rusty/dirty, and sliding it is a pain, but I guess it gives me an excuse to clean up the tracks.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Oh, i forgot to mention: Another problem is that the seat-back adjustment knob is stuck in place, is this part of the problem, or something different, i guess i'll find out when I gets to taking it apart

· Registered
2,408 Posts

Ugh, I have the same Recaros and my driver's seat also sits a little crooked...a friend of mine told me it could have been due to the car that the seats are from being wrecked, possibly hit hard from behind, causing the driver to be thrown forward, then backwards HARD into the seat, and it can bend the supports. Who knows...

· Registered
193 Posts
Re: Twisted Recaros (2Dr16vJettaGirl)

molly could be right, i got my recaro's out of a wrecked gti, the drivers seat was twisted something awful, i took it apart and found that there is a square stock that the top tilts on it, the right side of the seat had jumped 90% on the square stock, plus lots of bent metal, i managed to grind the rivets off and get it back, but i guess the bottom was bent too cause the back wouldn't tilt much then the cast aluminum(sp) finally gave way and its stuck so it looks like i'm pimpin, oh well still a $50 recaro, still looking for a torn up seat to steal the frame from.
hope that might help out in some way
ryan
Oo=\x/=oO

· Registered
2,884 Posts
Re: Twisted Recaros (gli4life)

if it was fine one day he was driving, then the next it broke, it sounds like a weld came loose or a weak part of the seat frame broke (like what happened to my 91 GTI)....those situations require the welder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.