VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an appointment to have a shop look into this but though I would pose the question in case anyone had any preliminary ideas.

Recently, my car has started sporadically sputtering when under light load and between 2k-3k rpm's. At first I thought it was a coil pack failing but it never threw a check engine light. After a couple of weeks, I've also noticed that it seems to do it more frequently when I am approaching 1/4 tank of gas or less.

Part 2 of this is I've pulled two soft codes. P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Implausible Signal and P2293 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve Mechanical Malfunction. To reiterate, these are soft codes, no check engine light. Both are listed as "intermittant". Fault frequency of 0341 is 10 and 2293 is 2. Both have date stamps of within two days of each other. There were no other stored codes.

Car is chippped with APR stg1
Neuspeed cold air intake
Timing belt done at 80k (about a year ago)
Cam follower was changed at 50k and again at 75 with no issues noted
Car now has 92k miles on it

Any ideas?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For any future searchers....Diagnosis came in as damaged camshaft. They are replacing under extended warranty. :)

So I guess the proactive replacement of my cam follower did little to prevent this. :banghead:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Correction

After dealer dug in further, discovered that the timing belt idler pulley had sheered off. It knocked a hole right through the timing belt cover and damaged the mounting point on the head. I'll post pictures later.

Initial diagnosis was based on codes only. No damage to cam from HPFP or cam follower.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone ever see this scenario before? Any ideas as to why this bolt would back itself out like it did? It appears to have backed itself out then the pulley wobbled on it for a while (causeing the threads to wear smooth) until it sheared off. It looks like it backed out about 1/4 inch before breaking off.

Lucky that the belt didn't jump teeth and screw up timing.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Timing belt was changed about 10k miles ago. The shop that did the timing belt install has taken care of the repair. Compression checked out fine in all cylinders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.