VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, anyone here at all familiar with law? I got a 2 parking tickets today, each $15 for the same violation. Here are the details. I live in a college town, and the city is run by a bunch of @$$holes, but anyways 98% of the streets are marked so that on odd numbered days you can park on one side and even numbered days you must park on the other side. I forgot to move my car this morning from the odd side to the even side and was written a $15 ticket at 8am (so the cop was just sitting on the street waiting as the rule is only in effect from 8am-5pm) and another at 2:30 pm (by the same police officer :banghead:). Now I definitely deserve the first ticket, I failed to move my car, that is my fault. I will gladly pay the first $15 ticket. But the second ticket? Isn't there something like you can't be charged for the same exact crime twice, double jeopardy? Or is this only in a court case? I called the city an apparently they can write a ticket for this kind of violation every 2 hours. So I'm curious, is this constitutional? haha Granted it's only $30 but being a college student I could easily use that towards much better things than paying a city who doesn't use the money for anything useful (terrible roads, terrible plowing for snow storms, not nearly enough parking meetered or unmeetered, etc.) Being in class all day, even if I had known I would get two tickets I would not have been able to move my car, which I think is the point of this "law" so they can get more money out of a simple parking violation.

Also, I apologize, I needed to rant a little...

·
25,560 Posts
i don't know the specific laws in the municipality (because you don't mention it) and what I say means nothing (because this is the internet) but every place I have ever lived has clauses that allow them to issue multiple tickets if you don't move your car (expired meter, no parking, handicap, etc).

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
never removed the ticket or my car, they were both flapping in the wind under my windshield wiper when I returned to my car. Well I guess they can write a ticket every 2 hours, I called. So looks like I'm out of luck for the city rules, but do these city rules violate the "double jeopardy" rule. Also, any good ideas on how to get out of the second? I can appeal it but if I just say "i shouldn't pay because I already got one for the same reason" I probably won't get a break :D

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
FWIW, the double jeopardy standard under the US Constitution was set forth in Blockburger:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockburger_v._United_States

Of course, the fact that these tickets only count as "violations" or "infractions" and not "crimes," it may not apply. Your state constitution may provide more protection, but that above is the floor.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Double jeopardy only applies to criminal cases. That's why the Goldman family was able to obtain a civil judgment against OJ Simpson even though he was acquitted of the murder charges.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Double jeopardy only applies to criminal cases. That's why the Goldman family was able to obtain a civil judgment against OJ Simpson even though he was acquitted of the murder charges.
That is true. Not to mention that fact that the burden of proof in a civil case (preponderance of the evidence) is much lower that that in a criminal case (beyond a reasonable doubt).

However, his tickets are in no way related to any sort of civil claim.

·
Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
44,863 Posts
Wait, so can somebody just sort of verify for me, if it's not too much trouble, that somebody just logged onto the Car Lounge and asked if the parking tickets he got are constitutional? Is this really what I am seeing here?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Jeeeez, man, just pay the tickets already, doesn't anyone believe in accountability anymore? You break the law, you violate the statute, you get busted for it. Consequences ensue. Grow a set, and park where you're supposed to! :banghead:

Double jeopardy... For parking tickets? you've got to be smoking something... :laugh:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I know its not called double jeopardy I just wasn't sure how to state it.

No way, there is consequences for my actions!? :banghead: I know, I'll be paying the tickets. I forgot to move my car. I take accountability for that, and I said I'd gladly pay the first. I was just curious about the 2nd. It's not like I'm taking this to court or something to try and fight it, I WILL pay them both, jeez. I guess curiosity is frowned upon huh?

I'd park in front of my apartment complex but at $70 a month I can't justify that, so I guess I'm still coming out ahead only paying $30 in tickets so far this month.

Thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
depends on how "powerfull" those @$$holes are, nothing might ever happen to you if you just ignore the tickets. eventually, they'll be written off. if the @$$holes have clout with dmv, they might block your registration and license renewal.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Wait, so can somebody just sort of verify for me, if it's not too much trouble, that somebody just logged onto the Car Lounge and asked if the parking tickets he got are constitutional? Is this really what I am seeing here?

I initially had the same thought but I understood what he was getting at, even though he used the wrong term for it. :beer:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I just finished reading the constitution, and there's nothing in there that says you can't be given two parking tickets on the same day. Suck it up, man. I can't remember the last time a parking ticket only cost me $30. I used to live in Montreal, where they hand out $50 parking tickets when you're 100% legally parked. At least you were guilty.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I initially had the same thought but I understood what he was getting at, even though he used the wrong term for it. :beer:

Haha yeah, I know next to nothing about law or law terms so that's the best I could come up with. Thanks for understanding what I was getting at.

And I know parking fines are constitutional, for the record. I was just curious as to whether the city could instate a law like this without violating some other kind of law or regulation, as that is not an uncommon thing in this city. They somehow passed a no smoking law without looking into it and months later it was repealed until a new state law had been instated... like I said, the city is run by a bunch of morons.

·
Registered
20,588 Posts
I was going to do a full bluebooked reply to him just to show how dumb this is. But I'm feeling ill, so:
"The parties are advised to chill."
Mattel, Inc. v. MCA Records (9th Cir. Cal. 2002) 296 F.3d 894, 908.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.