VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figure I've done a good amount of work since taking ownership of this. Maybe I should chronicle it's life so far.

So, April 2013 was fed up with my rusted to hell Wolfsburg golf I'm still selling parts off and enjoyed the hatch thing so Wagon's were where my eyes started wandering.

Luckily one popped up locally with a salvage title from VA and 172K kms on the clock so I checked it out. (Note I'm in Canada so we didn't get these for 2 more years with park bench bumpers)

The price was right but there were a number of things to address and some hoops to jump through as it was Quebec plated due to the owner being a U.S resident living in Ottawa and Ontario won't register a vehicle to a Non-resident.

Car when I picked it up

Next came an onslaught of cleaning as the car looked like this

became

For those interested, I used this on the leather and it did wonders (as can be seen of the one swipe in the pic above on the back seat)

Since I hate driving anything stock height I started searching for some springs as it will be the daily and the car came with bilstein HDs all around :eek:. Sourced some Tein 2" lowering springs with KYBs in MTL so i paypaled the guy and had him deliver them to my parents house. Sold the GR2s for what I paid for the whole setup and lowered the car for $0

Luckily the car came with 3 sets of tires and two sets of wheels. Unfortunately the tires on the wheels were both winters :p

Not a problem as I had a set of bugattis off my mk3 vr for the summers provided

Also added some volxtuning orange repeaters which faded to yellow so eventually those went in the trash.

I then found that the whole blended windows looked good and wanted to try it out. Went to sign-o-rama on merivale and grabbed some semi-gloss black vinyl. Since the windows were tinted as this was a Virgina car, it would hopefully flow.

Car stayed roughly this way all of last summer while I waited for **** to fall off or break as it was new to me.

Should also mention I did the regular maintenance prior to all of the mods like plugs, filters, oil, coolant, tie rods, strut bushings, strut bearings, rear bearings, brake rotors and pads, Downpipe and cat etc.

Said filters before :shock:

End of the summer I put in a euro switch and GLI headlights for that semi smoked look and fogs (although the general population believes they're my high beams :rolleyes: )

Winter came, I put the winters back on and drove it while I collected the much needed parts for the timing belt, waterpump, serpentine, thermostat, etc as the car was nearing 200k.

At the same time I acquired some 5x100 to 5x112 adapters since i stumbled upon a beat pair of Audi Sport wheels

Took my time to fill in the massive curbage and sand down the faces for the minimal scratches, mask them and paint them with Duplicolor High Performance wheel coating. Came out like

followed this DIY http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-WHEEL-REPAIR-!!&highlight=wheel+refinish+diy

Also sprung an exhaust leak in the spring so figured it would be a good time to search for a newer or new exhaust as mine was from 2001. I had replaced the downpipe and cat since it's a 2.0l and they all rot out about once very 2-3 years (stupid VW :clap: )

Came Accross a guy hoarding a barely used turbo back from a 337/20TH he swapped to an APR exhaust a long time ago for $250 (new it's like $1150)

Sold the Downpipe and cat as I had no use and picked up a neuspeed rear sway for the same price.

I toyed with the idea of a turndown tip versus a dual tip and even ordered the turndown tip from Techtonics tuning since it was perfect for the 2.5" exit on my GTI exhaust.

I then realized i'm more of a dual exhaust type of guy and was worried about possible drone from a free'r flowing exhaust. I looked around and found a steal for these puppies @ $50 shipped in Canada (42DD sells it for $110 USD + Shipping)

So recently, when I took the vr back out this spring I completed the much necessary timing belt items, control arm bushings were installed with the R32/Poly combination and a set of Audi 90 strut bushings for that extra half inch to get the car sitting as such (less reverse rake)

I Also recently swapped the leather shift knob that was peeling for a slimmer Polo knob which looks like this

Up next I have a set of lower vent fogs with yellow laminex I may or may not choose to run. I need to do the exhaust setup this week or next as I finally obtained all of the necessary Bosal OEM clamps to do it right. Will require some DIY exhaust cutout which I intend to do properly and make it look OEM.

·
Registered
799 Posts
(Note I'm in Canada so we didn't get these for 2 more years with park bench bumpers)

The price was right but there were a number of things to address and some hoops to jump through as it was Quebec plated due to the owner being a U.S resident living in Ottawa and Ontario won't register a vehicle to a Non-resident.

Fill me in on the 2 year delay. I know about the bumper rule that was changed in 08'ish, but is there something about the wagon that was non compliant in Canada?

As a US citizen in Ontario, I had the worst time dumping my 01 GTI. Actually sold it to someone for $1k that couldn't figure out how to import it so then was able to get $3k in the states(thank god).

Regardless, looks good. I desire a wagon, but love my GLI too much haha.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
makin some serious progress :thumbup: an I had a set of volxtuning amber fender lenses that faded something fierce in less than a year too :banghead:

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Cajetan : i was moreso referig to the two years the wagon was available in the U.S. before canada. During that time they received the euro rear bumpers. Likely along the same lines of the 08 change. Basically north america got the big bumpers after 02 for which no aftermarket or even good euro valences fit.

Im lower: thanks, its always fun to polish a turd :p

Boradie: thanks

Sommersprossen: they were yellow after two months. Guess they're just painted rather than the oem ones that are actual orange plastic.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I hope you make quicker progress cause youve done good so far :thumbup:
I may have to pick up that semi-gloss vinyl too. Ive been thinking of actually sanding and painting my pillars...

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope you make quicker progress cause youve done good so far :thumbup:
I may have to pick up that semi-gloss vinyl too. Ive been thinking of actually sanding and painting my pillars...
I wish i could too. It's the down fall of owning another VW and having a wife that likes to do stuff lol. Spent all last night with my porter cable, some meguirs 105/205 and my White mk3 seen above. Polishing takes forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't help that the parts store ordered me the wrong clamp for my exhaust either. Should be in today.

I wish I could turn my car into a wagen.:beer:
I think I will always have atleast one wagon in thee stable from here on out ;)

:thumbup: Well alright then.
:beer:

for those who are interested, the other money pit. (Don't mind the wax on the grill :banghead:)

which started as

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Likin the other pit too :thumbup: and about the amber fender lenses, I contacted volx and they said they received a bad batch of them and had changed suppliers. Also offered me a 25% discount on future purchase :beer: however, when I went to order clear bumper lenses(went a diff direction w car)they were outta stock :banghead:

sent from my tater

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Ya he gave me the option to swap them for another set as long as I paid shipping but I just wasn't feeling the clash of color on the car anyways (all red tails and orange repeaters :sly:)

Decided to color match the side markers and run clear repeaters for a cleaner look in my eyes.

So forgot to mention, I was able to source a trek edition rack off a lady local for $40 including the cross bars, install booklet, tools and all hardware :laugh:

local dubber had the wagon roof rails so i sold the crossbars for more than I paid for the whole setup and grabbed the wagon rails so me and the lady could bring our bikes wherever we want.

(don't mind the reverse rake, car was loaded for a road trip)

1 - 20 of 370 Posts