VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

And there were even five units of 'new' 2020 Caravans sold in 2022...

Let's play a game. Using the internet, post any discontinued models that are currently available in yer neck of the woods. I will also allow new 'discontinued' models that you purchased before. No poll this time. Enjoy! :p

It has been a while since Dodge stopped making the Dart. It was in 2016 that the American automaker pulled the plug on the Dart production, but it appears a few units of the compact sedan were still sold during the last three months of the year.
In FCA's Q3 2022 US sales report, three units of Dodge Dart were delivered to rightful owners. This means that these units have been in stock for six years before getting sent to their new owners. The same sales report saw the Fiat 124 Spider, 500, and 500L getting new owners despite being out of the US market a few years ago.

The number of Dodge Dart sold in Q3 2022 reflects the same number sold in Q3 2021. Year-to-date numbers reveal that Dodge has delivered four units of Dodge Dart so far – a bit down from the five units sold from January to September 2021.
Motor1

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
This thread makes me wonder...

What else is out there that's old but still brand new, like untitled?
I'd imagine there are collectable cars like this. A dealer principle is holding onto a 2005 Ford GT or similar.

I bet these manufacturers would be pissed at these old cars selling brand new years later, since the warranty period starts at the sale date.

·
Registered
2023 Subaru Outback
5,336 Posts
I'd imagine there are collectable cars like this. A dealer principle is holding onto a 2005 Ford GT or similar.

I bet these manufacturers would be pissed at these old cars selling brand new years later, since the warranty period starts at the sale date.
Wasn't there a big deal about a Chevy dealer auctioning off new 60s and 70s stuff in Iowa a few years back? Nothing was ever titled so therefore it was new.

Also, the Dart was an absolute joke.

Even rally cross spec was ugly and that's not an easy task.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It must have sold, because the site says no longer available.
I guess that Autotrader keeps them open for some reason. There are some 2020 Mercedes A35 AMG sedans available too. But some now say 'no longer available'.

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
38,896 Posts
Service loaners on dealer plates?
It feels like a loophole to put a car on the road for years on end without registering it individually. I get that it's legal, but perhaps states should consider putting something in place so you can only keep a vehicle unregistered for X months maximum, beyond which the dealer must take ownership and register it to themselves. That would provide an incentive to actually sell new cars rather than use them as pretend "new" cars for years on end.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It feels like a loophole to put a car on the road for years on end without registering it individually. I get that it's legal, but perhaps states should consider putting something in place so you can only keep a vehicle unregistered for X months maximum, beyond which the dealer must take ownership and register it to themselves. That would provide an incentive to actually sell new cars rather than use them as pretend "new" cars for years on end.
Yeah because in my eyes, if it doesn't have the new car smell and look new, it isn't new. I don't care if it's considered new as far as the law is concerned.

I remember pre-COVID when my local Benz dealer started getting piled-up with S-Class coupes and some of them were over one model year old, but could have been over two years old depending on the actual build date. There was not a single whiff of new car smell but instead, that crayon and wet concrete smell that Benzes get, and dusty weatherstripping which could have benefitted from lubrication. BUT it had never been titled, had been on the lot since it came off the truck, and had the Monroney label in the window.

I can't even imagine passing off several year old beat up service loaners as new.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts