VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
521 - 540 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
2020 BMW M340i
1,075 Posts
That's not really how energy works, and honestly makes combustion engines look even worse. So while an EV can travel 3-4 miles per each KWH, a gasoline vehicle getting 25mpg uses 34kwh of gasoline, thus meaning it gets only 0.7 miles per kwh.

It highlights just how horribly inefficient combustion vehicles are, and that's without even touching on things like hellcat TRX's getting 12mpg or those 25mpg cars that drop to 15mpg in winter when parked outside and running in the driveway to warm up before departing. I have loved this ICE powered age of cars, but it's pretty clearly not sustainable.
Thanks for the feedback. Here's a source for my 34 kw/hrs:

Convert Gallons of Gas to Kilowatt Hours (calculateme.com)

I agree about the inefficiency of ICE mobiles. My human-powered personal best was about 300 watts for a couple of minutes. Without stroking out, I could maybe manage 50 watts for 8 hours, hence it would take me about 3 months of 8 hour days to match that gallon of gas. Thats why even current gas prices still seem like a deal :)

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Local NC Piedmont holiday season gas prices for the cheap stuff:

High side $3.13 per gallon
Low side $2.98 per gallon

And all the Bro Dozers sat around the pumps and gave thanks for all things liquid and cheap.
I think they were actually talking about beer though.

For context.
This is everyday living, picture taken at the local biscuit joint.

Car Sky Wheel Automotive side-view mirror Tire

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,678 Posts
I'm reading that OPEC was "considering" releasing an extra 400,000 per day but was only considering that after hearing word that the US, Japan, China, and India was planning on releasing reserves to help with oil prices.

Biden supposedly worked with the above-mentioned countries to try to coordinate a joint release. Both China and Japan have confirmed oil reserve releases now as well. I'd imagine that OPEC will not do it now.

This just sounds like OPEC being OPEC to me.
It’s about the only tool countries have to “negotiate “ with OPEC. Remind them that you have big stockpiles and that everyone can win if they keep the right balance with price and production.

The coordinated release between the U.S., India, China, Japan, Republic of Korea and the United Kingdom is the first such move of its kind.

The U.S. will release 50 million barrels from the SPR. Of that total, 32 million barrels will be an exchange over the next several months, while 18 million barrels will be an acceleration of a previously authorized sale.
The SPR is a bit over 600 million barrels and is regularly “turned over.” What we are actually putting into the market is small. It’s a negotiating tactic. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t, I don’t know. It certainly seems to be bringing OPEC to the table at least.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Its amazing the people think Biden is like a south american gas tsar or something. its OPEC people.....OPEC !! The entire world is having expensive gas prices right now...get a brain.
You mean Biden doesn't have a massive oil storage tank sitting in his backyard with a sign on it that says "Keeping oil prices high is my doing"??

·
Premium Member
38,678 Posts
Drill, baby drill

·
Premium Member
38,678 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Forehead Publication Font Poster Newspaper

"In March of 1980, Carter used his presidential powers, as Ford did before him, to impose a $4.62 per barrel tariff on imported oil to begin on May 15 ($10.95 in 2011 dollars). The tariff was projected to increase gasoline prices by ten cents (24 cents in 2011 dollars). Once again Congress resisted. Both the House and Senate passed legislation to block the tariff. Carter vetoed these attempts. What may have been the final nail in a gasoline tax coffin, the House overrode Carter’s veto by a vote of 335 to 34. The Senate voted the veto down by 68 to 10. This was the first time since 1952 that a president’s veto was overridden despite his party controlling both houses."

Press coverage almost always lays blame on the feet of the sitting president, so not much new in that arena except that definition of "the press" nowadays has expanded exponentially to include numerous nontraditional sources, I mean LOL many Americans rely on memes (or facebook) to get their "news", it is truly a sad state of affairs.

The only silver lining that I can see with high gas prices if sustained with the upward price trend is perhaps a "great reset" away from the ubiquitous big ugly trucks and back to more economy-minded smaller cars, as well as giving initiative for more "common folk" to transition from gasoline to "clean energy", which is all okay in my book because I'm pretty damn tired of the SUV-dominated trafficscape.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Car

·
Registered
215 Posts
Does anyone know how many millions of barrels USA consumes / produce per day this year?

Back in 2016 I think the consumption was something like 20 million barrels per day, Production was something like 15 million barrels per day and import was around 5 million barrels per day. I just remember the numbers because they where so easy to remember. ^_^

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Does anyone know how many millions of barrels USA consumes / produce per day this year?

Back in 2016 I think the consumption was something like 20 million barrels per day, Production was something like 15 million barrels per day and import was around 5 million barrels per day. I just remember the numbers because the where so easy to remember. ^_^
Who knows?

Not us.

“I’m curious if you know how many barrels of oil the United States consumes per day?”

CBS News reporter Ed O’Keefe asked Granholm during the White House briefing.

“I do not have that number in front of me, sorry,”

Granholm replied.

Joint Podium Microphone Shoulder Lectern

·
Registered
35,776 Posts
From: United States Oil Reserves, Production and Consumption Statistics - Worldometer

Barrels per Day Global Rank
14,837,6401st in the world
19,687,2871st in the world
Daily Deficit​

It sounds like the 50 million bbl release will take about a quarter, if not more to complete. Let's say it's 100 days. So 50M / 100 days = 0.5M/day. It would work out to about a 2.5% daily increase for 100 days during winter, which is a traditionally low oil usage time period. Also if OPEC+ is cancelling their 0.4M global increase scheduled for spring, then the strategic reserve release seems unlikely to make a notable difference. Other global factors will play a bigger role.

One of them? Interest rates. We've seen the USD reach one of the strongest levels in at least a year and a half due to the Fed getting a bit more hawkish about raising interest rates. A stronger dollar tends to mean lower effective oil prices for us, even if other countries end up spending more in their own local currencies. So what raising interest rates may take away from the economy in terms of cheap loans, it may give back in the form of putting the brakes on rising oil prices. Everything is interconnected though, there's hundreds of variables in play at any given moment.

521 - 540 of 759 Posts