VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a TT Downpipe to replace my leaky stock downpipe/cat and I broke a stud trying to get the old junk out. Should I give it a try drilling it out and using and easy out to remove the stud? Or should I take the whole damn manifold off and go get it drilled out and helicoiled?
I'm about to the point where I just wanna drill out the stud and put a bolt in there with some lock washers and get me car back on the road.
Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Re: ugghh, broke manifold stud, what do I do now?? (DriversFound.com)

Same thing happened to me. DO NOT USE AN EASY OUT! They are hardend steel and if they snap off (which they do because they're brittle) you will be one sad roc owner. My best recommendation is to get yourself 1/8" and 1/4" cobalt drill bits. 1/8" to pilot and the 1/4" to actually drill out. Of course you cannot bend and twist these either because they do not have tensil strength side to side and will break if you're not careful. Although if these break they're easy to remove unlike the easy out.
Oh yeah...heli-coils are just fine and thats what I had to use

Cobalt or Titanium would be suitable for your bits.
Goodluck!

Modified by MK1Scirocco1980 at 6:37 AM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: ugghh, broke manifold stud, what do I do now?? (MK1Scirocco1980)

Thanks for the advice, I was a little reluctant to use the easy out myself. I'm debating taking the manifold off and sending it to a shop to get drilled out and helicoiled. I hope I don't break one of those studs...

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Re: ugghh, broke manifold stud, what do I do now?? (supernova)

well my experience may or may not be like yours, but it ended up costing me $150 to get it professionally drilled... Of course hindsight is 20/20

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Re: ugghh, broke manifold stud, what do I do now?? (MK1Scirocco1980)

I had 2 bolts extracted for about $85... $20 more to bead blast it...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Re: ugghh, broke manifold stud, what do I do now?? (EUROROC)

I should add that this was based on $85/Hr and it took about 10 minutes to remove one bolt and 50 minutes to remove the second...
Quote, originally posted by EUROROC »
I had 2 bolts extracted for about $85... $20 more to bead blast it...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Re: ugghh, broke manifold stud, what do I do now?? (supernova)

When this happened to me, the upper exhaust stud for the #4 cyl(closest to throttle body), I tried an ez-out with no luck. I had to remove the head and have it drilled and helicoiled by a machinist.
-Rob

·
Registered
512 Posts
Re: ugghh, broke manifold stud, what do I do now?? (robw_z)

This is going to sound hokey, but it REALLY works, and costs less than five bucks.
I had the same experience as you--broke an exhaust stud inside the head while installing a 4 into 1 header, so there's nothing to grab on to, to get it out.
The good news is, you still have seven good studs.

Go to your local parts store and get the orange, copper-impregnated RTV. This stuff is certified for exhaust type high temperatures. In my case, I liberally gooped the hell out of the flange and the surface of the head, then put the header in position and fastened the seven remaining nuts, and let the whole thing dry overnight.
I can't remember whether I even bothered using an exhaust gasket on that cylinder, but if I'm not mistaken, I elected to forgo it as being unnecessary.
Believe it or not, this actually worked! The next day I fired up the car and was pleased and surprised to find NO exhaust leaks of any kind. I have since beaten the hell out of the car for TEN YEARS and it's still holding strong.
Look at it this way--you have nothing to lose by trying!

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts