VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so tired of this issue, but I don't want to dump a fortune into fixing it. It's hard describing, read below
Symptoms:
*Need to feather the gas to get the car to accelerate properly, too much at once and it groans and won't get the hell going
*Kind of groans like it wants to go when nailing the gas, but won't until backing off and easing back on the throttle
*Sometimes just "snaps" out of it off and on
*My car is about as fast as a Rabbit diesel while this is going on, and I don't know what to do
*Engine has a quiet kind of diesel-like sound when running at times (knocking?) *EDIT!* BBM suggested this was my tranny not entirely disengaged in neutral (throwout bearing?)
I just replaced the wires, plugs, blue temp sensor, cap and rotor. I removed the throttle body and verified funcition. TB contacts idle and WOT switches properly.
I don't know much about engines, but my ideas are:
*Injectors dying *EDIT* (found my wiring to be brittle with potential arcing points!)
*FPR not functioning properly *EDIT* Running almost 4 bars fuel pressure even though it's a 3.5bar!
*Chip/ECU not functioning properly
*Fuel pump issue *EDIT* Diaphragm stuck open or something?
*Internal issues
*EDIT* Seems like head needs a bit of work, but not terrible...
The 02 sensor is fairly new and wires are not cracked. Catalytic converter is not very old and should not be plugged up. Checked for vacuum leaks and all lines, etc are in great shape. *EDIT* Found out the intake manifold gasket was leaking...a lot. Line to ECU is exactly 1m long as needed.
Engine Details:
*Garrett stage IV chip
*260/268 assym cam
*3.5 bar FPR
*Lysholm w/ silencer kit and 57mm pulley

Modified by Syncronicity at 7:12 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Re: UGH! Lag WON'T go away Please help. (StaggerLee)

Talk to JBETZ or MRKRAD they are the lysholm and digi1 kings. Might I suggest jumping on the SNS tuning bandwagon also. I'm guessing the motors either pulling gobs of timing or you've got a fueling problem. Got 30 pound injectors?

Modified by IMNOBUG at 12:48 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: UGH! Lag WON'T go away Please help. (OdorCide)

Quote, originally posted by OdorCide »
What is your a/f gauge reading? You think it might be a timing issue?

Running a tad rich, but not extreme. Then again, I didn't have a wideband to test.
Quote, originally posted by StaggerLee »
How did it run previous to the silencer install?

Similar, but now more noticable.
Quote, originally posted by IMNOBUG »
Talk to JBETZ or MRKRAD they are the lysholm and digi1 kings. Might I suggest jumping on the SNS tuning bandwagon also. I'm guessing the motors either pulling gobs of timing or you've got a fueling problem. Got 30 pound injectors?

I'm playing sick tomorrow to go to BBM and get my ISV back and talk to them. They set the timing. Injectors are stock.
Quote, originally posted by TBT-PassatG60 »
air/fuel readings?
fuel pressure readings?
knock sensor good?
timing set to?
electrical short?
bad O2 sensor?
done a leakdown test on your block?

-Air/fuel seemed okay, though I need a wideband to really diagnose
-Fuel pressure....not sure how to check it other than having a gauge, which I don't have
-Knock sensor...will check tomorrow
-Timing? Not sure, BBM set it and I'm too stupid to check
-Electrical short...doubtful
-O2 sensor...less than a year old, stable readings with a/f gauge
-Leakdown test....not since I bought the car. Haven't built up the experience and tools that much yet.
Quote, originally posted by IMNOBUG »
how about your grounds?

I have verified them all. No reason to believe they are a problem.

Modified by Syncronicity at 1:54 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Did you two-man verify the operation of the wot switch? One man cannot verify if its being hit unless you have superman vision or some trick mirrors. seriously. Two men to verify the wot switch is depressed with pedal to the metal.
and pay attention to your dead a/f gauge when you notice this anomaly.
you got w6dp0 plugs right? anything aftermarket must be gappered at 24 thous. or it'll misfire sounds like puh-puh-puh from blowing out spark.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Re: UGH! Lag WON'T go away Please help. (Syncronicity)

I had a similar problem with my G60, the car would bog down when accelerating. It turned out to be the in the tank fuel pump.
You might want to check your fuel pump and make sure it is working properly.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (mrkrad)

Quote, originally posted by mrkrad »
One man cannot verify if its being hit unless you have superman vision or some trick mirrors. seriously.
and pay attention to your dead a/f gauge when you notice this anomaly.
you got w6dp0 plugs right?

I verified it easily alone. The throttle body is visible now (silencer kit) and the click is audible when at WOT. The A/F guage seems to be reading fairly consistently rich, not much change when this happens. And yes, only W6DP0 plugs.
Quote, originally posted by StaggerLee »
I'd be a little worried to run that setup with stock injectors.

Anybody else feel this way or using a similar setup to me without problems?
Quote »
whats happening to the 02 reading when this lag happens?
get a voltmeter and see what your alternator is putting out. If it's low you're probably stuck in limp mode..

Hmm...hadn't considered this. So the ECU could just be keeping me in limphome mode. I doubt this, though, I think the problem would be more constant and not as odd under acceleration
Quote, originally posted by cdncrdoguy »

I had a similar problem with my G60, the car would bog down when accelerating. It turned out to be the in the tank fuel pump.
You might want to check your fuel pump and make sure it is working properly.

This was the first thing I suspected, actually. I need to get to my friend's place today to go after all the electrically run components and verify their functioning. With the fuel pump, would an electrical test of it be adequate to verify functioning? I also have a sneaking suspicion it may be a tempermental idle or WOT switch throwing intermittent signals.

Modified by Syncronicity at 10:48 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Syncronicity)

Perhaps related to the other problems... I have the BBM silencer kit for the Lysholm charger.
BBM says it should idle great without the ISV, but the idle just falls and car dies unless at full operating temperature. Big pain to deal with when I'm trying to back out of my apartment garage in rush hour!!!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Okay, update. Was at BBM today and they did a leakdown. Results weren't good. Cylinders one and two appeared to be losing 30%. However, when testing the third cylinder their gauge kind of freaked out and jumped up from a high percentage to a low one. So I headed to a friend's place and we did a compression test and leakdown. Results were better this time around. 10/7/5/4 with decent compression on all, but the first cylinder, which was 134. Anyway, we did a vacuum/boost leak check and it took us a while to figure out, but we deterimined that the intake manifold gasket is toasted. Leaking like a sieve all around. So...hopefully this is the biggest culprit in this dilemna. I'll replace it tomorrow or Thursday and post the result. Checked the fuel pressure, too, and it was fine. The FPR turns out to be 4 bar, which is odd....because I thought I had a 3.5 on there.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts

AH HA, that 4 bar might be your problem also. I highly suggest not running anything more than a 3.8 bar FPR if your using the stock fuel pump. You MIGHT get away with a 4 bar on a good in tank pump and a CIS in line. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Modified by IMNOBUG at 2:50 AM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: UGH! Lag WON'T go away Please help. (IMNOBUG)

yah you can roast a piston with a leaking intake gasket for sure. wish u the best of luck.keep an eye on the a/f gauge.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: UGH! Lag WON'T go away Please help. (mrkrad)

Thanks. I need to call BBM and see if they swapped that FPR in there (?).

·
Registered
43 Posts

I have a silenced Lysholm corrado with the same pulley. Almost stage 4 other than the cam. I was noticing quite a bit of lag as well at first. I installed a A/F gauge and it seemed to hang back quite a bit under full throttle, not lean, but not rich either. I contacted SNS and they suggested the stage 4 chip (I had an Autotech Stg 3). I installed it and it made a big difference in throttle response. It pulls much harder now throughout the entire RPM range.
I still have times when getting out of the throttle and then getting back in right away, a slight hesitation. Also when firing up the car in the morning, i need to feather the gas for a while to keep it running. I would recommend the SNS chip to you, it made a huge difference for me anyway. my 2 cents.
Thnx

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: UGH! Lag WON'T go away Please help. (Scharger)

Quote, originally posted by Scharger »
I have a silenced Lysholm corrado with the same pulley. Almost stage 4 other than the cam. I was noticing quite a bit of lag as well at first. I installed a A/F gauge and it seemed to hang back quite a bit under full throttle, not lean, but not rich either. I contacted SNS and they suggested the stage 4 chip (I had an Autotech Stg 3). I installed it and it made a big difference in throttle response. It pulls much harder now throughout the entire RPM range.
I still have times when getting out of the throttle and then getting back in right away, a slight hesitation. Also when firing up the car in the morning, i need to feather the gas for a while to keep it running. I would recommend the SNS chip to you, it made a huge difference for me anyway. my 2 cents.
Thnx

Thanks for the advice. In fact, you speak of the same symptoms I had. BBM was sure that the car shouldn't die when not warm. Perhaps it is a sign of something else like a tired engine and we are both seeing the result of this. I'm doing the intake gasket tomorrow and verifying the FPR part number to get to the bottom of this. You should pressure test your intake system as well. My carbon canister turns out to be leaking a bit at its rubber boot as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts