VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice folks.....I don't know much about brakes. My 1980 Scirocco has a 16v rear axle with discs and a 16 v master cylinder....went to go to a meeting today----little pedal pressure/pedal went way far to almost the floorboard......added some brake fluid...(needed some)...No help...still little pedal pressure.....the brakes work, but need a lot of pedal pressure and the pedal goes to about the floorboard.......I hae found no leaks anywhere---not on the master cylinder anywhere, or on the calipers or SS brake lines.....Ideas? Need a new master cylinder? If I do, what size do I need----20mm or 22mm piston--(BIG price difference between the 20 and 22MM piston MC)......Ideas? Sources for parts??
THX!!!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Re: UGH!, need some help with my brakes....!! (woody96)

sounds like your master cylinder seals are shot, time for a new MC...
With the 16v rear disks you need the 22mm. If one for a " '88 scirocco 16v" is expensive, try one for a " '90 corrado G60" belive it or not, the corrado one while still being the same and 22mm is usualy cheaper.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: UGH!, need some help with my brakes....!! (vwnut84)

Do you know how hard it is to replace? Bleeding the brakes hard/difficult? THX!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (woody96)

Here's the latest....when the engine is off....the brake pedal is softer than normwl and travels deeper than normal, but does reach a point where the pedal gets firm...about haplfway down....if I keep my foot on the pedal and crank the car, once the engine fires up, the pedal slowly almost goes to the floor.........with the weight of my foot......MC or maybe the booster gone bad? Again, I have the 22mm MC from a 16v and a 16v booster........larger 10" calipers in the front....Any more help here? I have found a Corrado g60 MC and booster.....would this fit and work in this car??
THX!!!

·
Registered
7,011 Posts

Sounds like the MC is bad, you just need to change that, no tthe booster too. Its an easy straight forward job if you can bleed brakes. G60 mc will work fine, plus its cheaper so thats the way to go http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif You said that the fluid level was low though, before. Have you checked it again recently? If it is low again then you have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts

To repeat this again, the 16V MC will not work with the stock 1980 booster - the "pin" length is different - you won't be able to get full pedal.
Did you add rear brake proportioning valves? Running rear disks without them is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts

Rear brake proportioning valves too?
Did you adapt the pedal assmbly for the brake light or did you swap in the 16V pedal assembly too? (1985 & up brake lights are controlled by the pedal, whereas up to mid 1984 model year the brake light was controlled at the MC).
Sorry to ask so many questions - I'm just trying to figure out exactly what your setup is.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Mash)

Brake lights are comntrolled by the pedal.....not sure about the proportioning valve setup you are describing.....where is that--in the rear??

·
Registered
3,372 Posts

Quote, originally posted by woody96 »
Brake lights are comntrolled by the pedal.....not sure about the proportioning valve setup you are describing.....where is that--in the rear??

With the 1985 &up booster/MC, the proportioning valves are located on the MC one each for the rear brake lines between the MC and the brake line. On the Scirocco 16V, one is located on the MC and one is located in-line below the booster.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
From what you've described, it sounds like a bad MC.
If you have 9.4" front brakes, then a 20mm MC should be fine.
If you have 10.1" front brakes (16V), you should use the 22mm MC.
If you don't have rear brake proportiong valves - get them or you may find your rear brakes locking up at a most inconvenient time.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Mash)

WooHoo thanks!!!.,......I think I have found a passat 22mm MC that I can get for $35......gonna jump on it and give it a whirl....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts