VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was trying to get the swirl marks out of my paint so i bought some rubbing compound and polishing compund.. it says to rub back and fourth, which i did. but now instead of swirl marks i have straight line ones.. and im using a mirco fiber towel.. what can i use to make no back and fourth marks????

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Re: ughhhh help... (Jesstzn)

You aren't going to be able to properly do it with the Rubbing Compound and Polishing Compound you purchased.
This is also a good lesson to all of you who are thinking about or might think about in the future of buying Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound or Polishing Compound.
As stated on this site in the past, it is complete garbage and will do more harm than good.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Re: (stephen!)

Quote, originally posted by stephen! »
it was pretty cheap so i thought id give it a try

Would you apply that philosophy anywhere else? Bungee jumping, replacing an airbag, car seat?
C'mon people, if it's $4.99 at Walmart, there's a reason it's $4.99 at Walmart

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (jonfran21)

Quote, originally posted by jonfran21 »

Would you apply that philosophy anywhere else? Bungee jumping, replacing an airbag, car seat?
C'mon people, if it's $4.99 at Walmart, there's a reason it's $4.99 at Walmart

lol it was 2.99... oh well it didnt hurt anything.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,506 Posts

Quote, originally posted by stephen! »

lol it was 2.99... oh well it didnt hurt anything.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Until you try to remove the marks it made ..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Jesstzn)

Quote, originally posted by Jesstzn »

Until you try to remove the marks it made ..

i got them out...
thats why i said it didnt hurt anything.. its not like i went to town with the sh it

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Actually, you may have unnecessarily thinned your clear coat which might eventually cause premature failure. This isn't something you can check unless you have a reliable paint thickness gauge. Factory clears are really thin to begin with and using something rough like that Turtle Wax compound could really harm the surface in the long run. I used this compound on my headlights a long time ago and while it kind of worked for what I was trying to do, I found out about its reputation before I ever used it on my paint.
I still have the can, just to remind me of my early days.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (me)

Quote, originally posted by me »
Actually, you may have unnecessarily thinned your clear coat which might eventually cause premature failure. This isn't something you can check unless you have a reliable paint thickness gauge. Factory clears are really thin to begin with and using something rough like that Turtle Wax compound could really harm the surface in the long run. I used this compound on my headlights a long time ago and while it kind of worked for what I was trying to do, I found out about its reputation before I ever used it on my paint.
I still have the can, just to remind me of my early days.

the part i tested it on isnt on my car anymore anyways.. i already threw the stuff away

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well Ive been detailing for about 3 years or so, here is what you need to do,Clay your car first of all, then get your self a buffer, a black pad (polishing pad) and buy some 3M spot finishing/or Finesse and buff those out, if that dosnt work, get a white foam buffing pad and hit it with some 3M rubbing coumpound (not heavy grit) then follow through with the blackpad and the spot finishing/ or 3m Finnese that will remove all the scratches and or any blemishing/flaws.... follow through with a "good" quality wax or sealent. If you dont have an eye or experience in the detailing world, take it somwhere. This will get you outstanding results.

Modified by 1.8t luv at 9:25 AM 11-8-2008

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Re: (1.8t luv)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8t luv »
Well Ive been detailing for about 3 years or so, here is what you need to do,Clay your car first of all, then get your self a buffer, a black pad (polishing pad) and buy some 3M spot finishing/or Finesse and buff those out, if that dosnt work, get a white foam buffing pad and hit it with some 3M rubbing coumpound (not heavy grit) then follow through with the blackpad and the spot finishing/ or 3m Finnese that will remove all the scratches and or any blemishing/flaws.... follow through with a "good" quality wax or sealent. If you dont have an eye or experience in the detailing world, take it somwhere. This will get you outstanding results.
Modified by 1.8t luv at 9:25 AM 11-8-2008

I think you need to detail for a few more years to get more experience with products/processes before you start suggesting things like you have explained. I won't go into detail about each thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.