VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Updated UK AUDI 3A based 2.0ltr G60 engine build

OK I now have a reconditioned head a polished rocker cover and schrick cam all other bit's and pieces are ready to go on. Going on a little trip first with the Corrado to the Nürburgring for the 20th Anniversary of the Corrado but when I get back out will come the old engine!

Some Pictures.

Modified by 3A_G60_MAN at 1:24 PM 9-3-2008

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Re: (SLC4ME)

Old Engine out after it's trip round the ring.

EGT probe installed for a saftey net/comfort blanket.

Valve timing done and belt tensioned

Modified by 3A_G60_MAN at 12:44 PM 9-19-2008

·
Registered
512 Posts
Re: (3A_G60_MAN)

you are my hero!!
definitely wanted to do something along those lines for a while now!!
I can't wait to see it in the car!

-Kevin

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Re: (CaptEditor)

Cheers Kevin. Should be ready to start be the end of the weekend. Need to get the EGT hooked up first though. I hate wiring!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Re: (Tommy D)

Quote, originally posted by Tommy D »
Are you running both an oil to water oil cooler and an air cooled unit?

Yes that is correct. Some people say dump the water one but I'm told it will get your oil up to temperature sooner for short journeys. Thinking of running without the air to oil cooler initially so I don't have to detach it and drain it before going semi synth or synth.
Got all the mounts lined up and bolted down today, the exhaust sealed up and attached, the headbolts tightened, PAS pump on and tensioned along with pulley belt, starter motor in, driveshafts attached, rocker cover done, fuel pipes attached and engine filled with oil.
Tried to prime the engine with oil but wasn't convinced anything was happening with regards to the oil pump pumping oil but I'll look at that again later.

Modified by 3A_G60_MAN at 10:02 AM 10-25-2008

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Re: (Froto-gL)

like the build. very nice a looks very well thought out. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Re: (G0to60)

Coming along nicely http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Re: (MikkiJayne)

Tks Mikki
Raining a lot today but.......
I got the wiring all plugged back in, plumbing done bar the Rad, torqued up the pulley bolt to 90nm but flucked if I could get another 1/2 turn on it, need to take it to a garage with a ramp.
Blocked off the engine breather with a cir-clip and 1/4" -1/2" ratchet adapter in the reducer hose
as I couldn't be bothered figuring out the plumbing of in the rain.
Battery is attached (nice to hear the central locking again) and best thing is I very quickly got the EGT hooked up off the battery on a manual switch and it said 11˚C, checked it's reading against my multimeter and it was spot on, well 12˚C on the meter.
Gearbox linkages are now on and clutch slave attached but still needs bleeding. Bloody hell it's a fair old job putting an engine back together and into a car, lots to worry about etc.

Rain stopped play and don't have any pictures of real interest but here is two anyway.
I don't know why I doubted it.

Will it ever move again under it's own power?

Modified by 3A_G60_MAN at 11:41 AM 10-25-2008

Modified by 3A_G60_MAN at 12:32 PM 10-25-2008

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Well tonight I finally got oil pressure and the engine fired up and idling quietly. It wasn't a pleasant experience and didn't get much sleep last night as my mind wouldn't turn off.
But I now have a new problem. Any attempt to open the throttle results in the engine dying or over reving dropping revs and the reving again with the odd backfire thrown in for good measure.

Not to bothered about this problem I'm sure I'll be able to sort it with forum help, so should get some sleep tonight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Kevin you are spot on, the timing was way out and there was also a problem with the distributor but it all sorted now. Engine revs well and feels like it's ready for some road work.
Marvelous, it is a big relief. Just have to put the front end on and tie up a few loose ends. Learnt a lot in last few days.

As for the metal coolant pipes I had them striped and nickel plated, came up good.

Once I get it on the road I'll post up an initial impression of the engine.
Thanks for your support everyone!

Modified by 3A_G60_MAN at 4:28 AM 10-29-2008

41 - 60 of 114 Posts