VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
£UK Storm Rocco Project

The original project thread was lost in the move so a quick re-intro then just a lot of pictures to bring it up to date. 1981 Noisette Brown rhd storm w/tan leather interior minus drive train. Plan is a restoration in my home garage doing most of the work myself including a few surprises along the way. I've had the car now for a few years but just started messing with it. Glad I can share, hope you enjoy! Now to bring it up to speed... lots of pictures.

the pickup

mk4 8v AEG bottom end as a base with a 20v head up top. Both will get attention.

11 pence, enough to by me a loaf of bread!

binned the crappy servo and was planning to do something like this.

The trans from my last build. 02J with a tdi 5th. These gears will be coming in handy later.

the "new to me" transmission(s) 4 cyl 02C

cleaning

Some gearing comparisons.
So real quick what is going on. I have an R&P from the CCM VR6 that I picked up a long time ago. The gearing from the 02J EBQ was a bit too short especially with the smaller tire size compared to a mk4 (3.938) in the last car so the plan was to build up a gear set to work better such as the 3.389 from the CCM VR.
CCM VR 02A (left), CBC 02C(02A)(center), EBQ 02J (right)

Yankin stuff off to bin.

built this body cart with some extra material kicking around.

And now the floating scirocco.

More to come as the project progresses.

cheers.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
:thumbup: looks good so far :)

£ ... will be watching this thread :D :cool:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Nice. Gotta love working out of a normal size garage. Forces you to be more organized. :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first big step of the project was taken care of this weekend. Instead of moving the steering rack and dealing with that can of worms, I decided to raise the motor to allow the prop shaft to clear the steering rack. Starting with the mounts from the previous build, I chopped them up and mocked them up to the proper location and welded em back together. I'll pull the mounts, make some fixtures from them and build some fresh mount brackets.

Next up is some sawzall action. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Did you raise the engine the same amount all round? How much did it need raising to clear the rack?

Just asking.......:cool:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
and is there space under the hood or will that be modded too?

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you raise the engine the same amount all round? How much did it need raising to clear the rack?

Just asking.......:cool:
I started with my own custom raised mounts already from the previous build then raised them more so it's really hard to say. It was a lot of leveling and making sure everything was where I wanted it to be (hoist, jack and a strap to make it all work). Needless to say once I get the first set done for myself I would consider making more.

and is there space under the hood or will that be modded too?
The FPR on the fuel rail will have to be changed for my application. A lot depends on your intake manifold and how tall your injectors are that will push the rail up (depending how much spacing your stock rail needs). The rail won't hit, it's the FPR that is sitting a bit too proud and will most likely hit under acceleration.

·
Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,019 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Realized I never posted some updates of some more cutting action from last summer so adding that now to keep it current. Cut out minimal material for now to get a better idea where everything will be going.

Rear diff height mocked in place with desired ride height. Planning to raise the rear floor approx 2" and retain the rear seat. So far so good.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
One question,rack and pinion?

I want RWD my 83.
Looking good I like the fact that minimal metal was removed.
I often ponder how I would carry out this task.My first thought always what about the rack?
Out of curiosity what are you doing for drive train and engine?
I would like to use a torque tube out of a 944 so the trans and the rear diff would be in the same ball of wax.Then again I dont know what engine would mate to 944 stuff.I would like to do it with the 9A,due its smaller size.
Sorry for the tread jack,but seeing this kind of stuff gets me thinking.:popcorn:

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One question,rack and pinion?

I want RWD my 83.
Looking good I like the fact that minimal metal was removed.
I often ponder how I would carry out this task.My first thought always what about the rack?
Out of curiosity what are you doing for drive train and engine?
I would like to use a torque tube out of a 944 so the trans and the rear diff would be in the same ball of wax.Then again I dont know what engine would mate to 944 stuff.I would like to do it with the 9A,due its smaller size.
Sorry for the tread jack,but seeing this kind of stuff gets me thinking.:popcorn:
Not a problem. The rack is right there in the picture below where the shaft will come past (not sure how clear it is in the photo). The motor is going to be a SC'd 2.0 20v motor which needs custom mounts anyways. The drive train was raised to fit the prop shaft over the steering rack and retain the stock mounting of the rack. There will be more cutting of the tunnel mainly inside the car and hopefully just the top and retain the stock width, but just enough to fit the height of the shifter to clearance over the prop shaft. A marriage of mk4 and mk1 metal. Because the drive train was raised, putting the prop shaft higher as well, the exhaust will still be able to tuck up nicely into the tunnel and not hang low and scrape which is an issue that I have seen with some of these conversions.

For your situation, an adapter plate would work to mount your desired engine to transaxle system. I'm not too familiar with 944 stuff but it seems that there are either kits or if you have the means to do so, adapter plates or bell house plates are the solution for a different motor.

1 - 20 of 378 Posts