VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So im very much interested in somehow installing the medium sized ( small than my 1984 US tail light) UK / Canadian taillights on my rabbit.
I really love the look of them alot. I'm referring to these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8bcf24f3&vxp=mtr

Now from what i've read so far....these arent TOO much different from the US lights, and they are simply just a little bit taller.
What exactly would be required to do this swap? Easier to simply change the entire tail-pan out for the proper one?
Electrically, are the two types much different?

If anyone has done this before i would greatly appreciate the info, as i'm having a hard time finding this online anywhere.

Thanks!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I love the later Euro rear ends, too. Growing up there they speak to me.

The rear pan has very different dimensions for the lights in both the shape and the fastening locations of the lights, and also the height and shape of the body line that runs underneath the lights. The pans are swappable if you're inclined to do the body work:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're telling me the best / proper way to do it would essentially be to chop off the back of my car, and weld this one on?
Well......it may not be SUCH a psychotic option, as i really need to change that whole lower pan on mine anyway as its one of the few spots with rot that i have.

Now im' really thinking. lol.
Where can i find that piece and how much is it roughly?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow..........this is absolutely awesome. Will i get to see that car for my first PA show this year?

To be honest.......it may be stupid of me because all of my metal back there is pretty darn good and original.
Not to mention, i'd be so deathly afraid of chopping the back of my car off having never done serious body work like this.
I can weld and fill and handle it im sure....but when it comes to lining this stuff up properly and knowing WHERE to cut
would probably be pretty nervewracking!

I guess i'll get in touch with that guy anyway and see how much one of those rear panels would run me.
I'm planning on starting body work this summer at some point.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Wow..........this is absolutely awesome. Will i get to see that car for my first PA show this year?

To be honest.......it may be stupid of me because all of my metal back there is pretty darn good and original.
Not to mention, i'd be so deathly afraid of chopping the back of my car off having never done serious body work like this.
I can weld and fill and handle it im sure....but when it comes to lining this stuff up properly and knowing WHERE to cut
would probably be pretty nervewracking!

I guess i'll get in touch with that guy anyway and see how much one of those rear panels would run me.
I'm planning on starting body work this summer at some point.
Nah, this car is undergoing a full media blast and complete rebuild. I'll be in my 75 this season.

And to be honest it wasn't much harder than doing a round front end swap.

#1 thing is secure it with clamps and straps and open and close the hatch to make sure it is aligned properly. Add a few tack welds and try the alignment again. That's the hardest part.

I did mine cause I was always interested in doing it and found the panel cheap from South America. The small tails were done pretty sloppy so for me to correct that I would have to respray the rear anyway.

Once I got the panel I was so dead set on doing it I just took a saw and cut straight down the middle of the original panel and said "Well, have to do it now":laugh:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nah, this car is undergoing a full media blast and complete rebuild. I'll be in my 75 this season.

And to be honest it wasn't much harder than doing a round front end swap.

#1 thing is secure it with clamps and straps and open and close the hatch to make sure it is aligned properly. Add a few tack welds and try the alignment again. That's the hardest part.

I did mine cause I was always interested in doing it and found the panel cheap from South America. The small tails were done pretty sloppy so for me to correct that I would have to respray the rear anyway.

Once I got the panel I was so dead set on doing it I just took a saw and cut straight down the middle of the original panel and said "Well, have to do it now":laugh:
I've never done a round front end swap either. lol. So do you simply cut the metal off of those two frame parts that stick out?
Or are their spot welds that need to be drilled out? Also, did you have much trouble locating the tail-light back piece pan things and the bulb sockets?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.