VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have I mentioned that I hate the holidays?
I was riding with the wife in her cabby yesterday and noticed that the brake light was coming on.
I'm thinking "Great now what?" So I asked her how long it had been doing that, to which she replied "Oh I don't know a couple of days now."

LSS... She got the lecture about indicator lights and how they work and I got to finding out what the hell was wrong.
Put it up on the lift today, and BHAM brake fluid everywhere. It looks like its leaking out of the booster, and the master cylinder.
Could it be one and not the other? I'm having a little trouble tracking down a brake booster. Are there any vendors still carrying these? I'd rather not buy one from autozone or pep boys.
What about used parts? I'm a little sketchy about using old brake components but if I have to

· Registered
737 Posts
Re: Um yeah... Got no brakes (doubleosneeky)

think the master cyl is the problem. they are reasonable priced new $20-30 dont have a link for ya though for i get my parts local. its an easy fix just be gentle with the lines. gl http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,657 Posts

The brake booster doesnt have fluid in it, unless it leaked into it from a bad master cylinder. Remove the MC and clean out the booster. Install a new MC. Booster should be fine. Make sure the "finger" inside the booster is sticking into the MC piston when you install the mc. Try ebay for a new MC, i got my last new one there for a good price. My last used one only lasted about 6 months. If your wife drives the car i wouldn't take any chances if i were you.

· Registered
453 Posts
Re: Um yeah... Got no brakes (xjronx)

the rear seal on the master cylinder has worn out and the vaccum booster has sucked the fluid into itself. Trust me I am a mechanic and have seen this many times, just replace the master and find a way to try and suck out the brake fluid from the booster

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have any recommendations for sucking the brake fluid out of the booster? I'm not from Texas and I most certainly can not suck a golf ball through a garden hose.
I was thinking of just spraying it down with brake clean, but I don't know if that would work

· Registered
194 Posts

Brake lite would be to do with low brake fluid and there is a reason for that. start first with the wheel cylinders in the rear. Just need one to loose the fluid and the brake system doesn't work.
A faulty brake booster wouldn't have any indicator except you need to have the legs of Arnold Swartnegger to stop the car. Thats how hard the pedal needs to be pressed.
The booster is rebuildable, it is but a couple of rubber gaskets(that got blown) Yank the unit out of the car - no timing to worry about and clean it and dissassemble it, clean it put in new parts and reassemble and reinstall making sure the hoses that connect up to it are in good flexible shape too(they get hard and crack= junk) and tighten up the clamps.
As for the wheel cylinders, autoparts store should have them or can direct you to a VW parts store who would have them. Chance of master cylinder being gone is less than the wheel cylinder.

· Registered
194 Posts

the master cylinder will be your concern. And any VW parts store should have that. Not the booster. You should clean up the brake fluid that got away(if it is excessive). The fluid won't hurt any rubber parts if you don't get it all off so no major worries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.