VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Sportwagen S, just picked it up. LG G7 Android phone.No matter what try, when AppConnect says to connect phone, it does not see it. I have tried multiple cables including (I believe) the one that came with the phone. All of the cables work for data exchange with my computer via USB. Had it into the dealer for some mild issues and they said its a cable issue. Any thoughts????

Dave

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
333 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smart Alec (and I'm not a geek either), but this might help you since you said you just picked up this car (unfamiliar w/ it):

Get to Know Your VW Android AppConnect

If you can transfer data from the LG to the computer, then you should be able to do the same with the head unit with the same cable/s, unless there's something wrong with the USB port itself or the communication protocol is not established properly.
In that video I just noticed there are a few prompts you have to check/mark as to allow communication between the devices, hence that's why I'm suggesting watching it.
Good luck and keep us posted

Edit:
This VideoClip as well

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not trying to be a smart Alec (and I'm not a geek either), but this might help you since you said you just picked up this car (unfamiliar w/ it):

If you can transfer data from the LG to the computer, then you should be able to do the same with the head unit with the same cable/s, unless there's something wrong with the USB port itself or the communication protocol is not established properly.
In that video I just noticed there are a few prompts you have to check/mark as to allow communication between the devices, hence that's why I'm suggesting watching it.

Edit:
This VideoClip as well
Thanks! Will do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Edit:
This VideoClip as well
I did review it, thanks. The problem is that none of the prompts come up if it doesn't see a connected phone! I'm thinking its the USB port itself. I tried blasting it clean with compressed air, next step is contact cleaner. ALso need to ask an i-Phone friend to bring over their phone and cable and see what hapens...

·
Registered
333 Posts
That's a good idea.
If the friend's USB factory cable does not connect, then there's something wrong with the head unit itself. I'm sure though your LG's factory cable should have transfer capability, not only charging as you said you tried it.

I don't want to speculate, but I offer you a personal anecdote.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone. Last winter I installed in my MK6 (2011) Sportwagen a Chinese-made Android 8.1 head unit that came with two USB cables. Well, I kept testing them with the phone to the point that it got me pissed and
had me "shouting" at the seller about the piece of "crap" they sent me... The head unit would just not see my phone. I tried almost everything possible since the phone cable is the factory one. I even downloaded an app called SmartSwitch in both, the head unit and the phone...Nothing. So I even ordered a PC to PC Data Link file Transfer cable .
While I was waiting for that thing to arrive, I plugged in as a curiosity an older WD usb drive I've had laying around. The head unit recognized the WD drive right away. I ended up using mainly the Bluetooth function to listen to something I have on the phone.
I would think the factory-installed VW head unit is not as...fiddly as the Chinese unit.
Please update again when you have "news". The curiosity gets the best of me :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good idea.
If the friend's USB factory cable does not connect, then there's something wrong with the head unit itself. I'm sure though your LG's factory cable should have transfer capability, not only charging as you said you tried it.

I don't want to speculate, but I offer you a personal anecdote.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone. Last winter I installed in my MK6 (2011) Sportwagen a Chinese-made Android 8.1 head unit that came with two USB cables. Well, I kept testing them with the phone to the point that it got me pissed and
had me "shouting" at the seller about the piece of "crap" they sent me... The head unit would just not see my phone. I tried almost everything possible since the phone cable is the factory one. I even downloaded an app called SmartSwitch in both, the head unit and the phone...Nothing. So I even ordered a PC to PC Data Link file Transfer cable .
While I was waiting for that thing to arrive, I plugged in as a curiosity an older WD usb drive I've had laying around. The head unit recognized the WD drive right away. I ended up using mainly the Bluetooth function to listen to something I have on the phone.
I would think the factory-installed VW head unit is not as...fiddly as the Chinese unit.
Please update again when you have "news". The curiosity gets the best of me :p
will do. I have some actual LG cables on order, if they don't work I am going to get on the dealer/VW as a warranty issue. It was a leasedcar and I think not well cared for (there was a minor door accident that was not reported to Carfax and was he source of the unlocking issues, so It may be something as simple as spilled mountain dew in theUSB port. I'll definitely update if/when I get it solved. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update- well,it didn't work with the LG cable that finally arrived (but connects to my laptop with no problems with several different cables I tried.). Spoke with VW Tech support and he agreed it is a warranty issue, probably a bad USB port. Going into the dealer next week. We shall see...

·
Registered
333 Posts
This tells you how "well-trained these "technicians" are nowadays. It used to be where dealers certified and sent all of their technicians to a manufacturer's central training facility.
You had the car in initially and they said "it's a cable issue", so either they didn't really investigate/diagnose the problem or they have no clue what the hell they're doing w/ these new head units VW uses for Android/Apple connection.
You had to have an extra expense just to eliminate out of the equation the "cable" element, based on their initial "determination".
Sheesh...they're good to turn fudge in St. Louis' Union Station...
Thanks for updating, Dave!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This tells you how "well-trained these "technicians" are nowadays. It used to be where dealers certified and sent all of their technicians to a manufacturer's central training facility.
You had the car in initially and they said "it's a cable issue", so either they didn't really investigate/diagnose the problem or they have no clue what the hell they're doing w/ these new head units VW uses for Android/Apple connection.
You had to have an extra expense just to eliminate out of the equation the "cable" element, based on their initial "determination".
Sheesh...they're good to turn fudge in St. Louis' Union Station...
Thanks for updating, Dave!
Better news- they did find an error code related to a bad USB port, have the part on order and should have it fo me Monday (today is Friday). I will update as to the specific error code, issue, and most important if it fixes the problem! I did talk to VWNA before going back to the dealer- and the guy there was very helpful- apparently dealers have to first ask if it is an "original" cable, but he agreed that it was probably a USB problem. When I took the car back, I emphasized that it was now the correct cable, which also worked fine to connect the phone to my laptop with full data exchange, and what VWNA had said. When the service rep called me, she said they had not gotten an error code when they first looked at it, but did this time. Intermittent problem or CYA? Anyway I'll update after Monday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success! They did get an error code this time for "no communication to R293 USB Power Distributor". Replaced he USB Port/Distributor (looks like a small block circuit beaker)- it connects and I have all Android Auto functions! Waze, PAndora, etc. all work though Google Voice command when I hit the talk button on the steering wheel. Cool!!!!
Dave

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks Dave!
I just picked up a new 2021 Kona and has the Android Auto. Your experience might come in handy, albeit being a different manufacturer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well, I went today back to the dealer to have the heated seats installed in the Kona. I had a cheap aftermarket USB-Type C cable with me for the Galaxy S8 and I couldn't get the Android Auto app connected - although I can transfer files with it just fine between the phone and the computer!!! :ROFLMAO:
As soon as I got back home I grabbed my "oem" cable and Bingo... everything got setup in a jiffy. Sometimes when something doesn't add up I even put in doubt I'm indeed a sentient human being. :unsure:

·
Registered
20,183 Posts
2018 Sportwagen S, just picked it up. LG G7 Android phone.No matter what try, when AppConnect says to connect phone, it does not see it. I have tried multiple cables including (I believe) the one that came with the phone. All of the cables work for data exchange with my computer via USB. Had it into the dealer for some mild issues and they said its a cable issue. Any thoughts????

Dave
The LG G7 doesn't play well with Android Auto. You can google it and see the problems people have reported with the LG G7 and android auto.

Granted never had AA issues with my Samsung Galaxy S7 nor my cheap Motorola Moto X4.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The LG G7 doesn't play well with Android Auto. You can google it and see the problems people have reported with the LG G7 and android auto.

Granted never had AA issues with my Samsung Galaxy S7 nor my cheap Motorola Moto X4.
Well, as you can see further down the thread, they did find a bad USB port. Replaced it and Android Auto is working flawlessly on the G7. Curioser and curiouser...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I went today back to the dealer to have the heated seats installed in the Kona. I had a cheap aftermarket USB-Type C cable with me for the Galaxy S8 and I couldn't get the Android Auto app connected - although I can transfer files with it just fine between the phone and the computer!!! :ROFLMAO:
As soon as I got back home I grabbed my "oem" cable and Bingo... everything got setup in a jiffy. Sometimes when something doesn't add up I even put in doubt I'm indeed a sentient human being. :unsure:
Hmm! Interesting indeed. I need to try my aftermarket cable again and see what happens...

·
Registered
20,183 Posts
Android Auto is extremely picky with cables. Just because an aftermarket cable work on your computer for data transfer, it doesn't mean it's going to work with AA. Certain brands work better than others. For example... Anker cables from Amazon usually work with AA.

Best USB-C Cables for Android Auto in 2021 | Android Central

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's my first encounter w/ Android Auto. I'm neither familiar, nor oblivious to its quirks or moods. :p
If you think about it, it's the same USB technology. Either an USB cable has a transfer data wire incorporated - hence it should facilitate transfer of data between two devices, or it doesn't have a data wire incorporated - hence it does not permit transfer. The protocol is unchanged ever since USB appeared (despite the strides made in the department of transfer speed) which was the basis for the "sanity" joke.
Thanks for the Anker cable suggestion, even though it seems you need an extra "reverse" adapter from UCB-C to USB-A, as I don't recall seeing yet a car that sports USB-Type C native port/s. However, I don't frequent luxury cars, so I might be behind times if those indeed have the newest technology connectors pre-installed.
It looks as for my case the Aukey cable is more suitable and more reasonably priced.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just tried an Anker Cable (USB to USB-C) in mine and it also works fine. USB means UNIVERSAL serial bus- it's a standard. Any cable that will transfer data from your phone to a computer's USB port absolutely should work with VW's Android Auto. It's absurd that VW makes you show the "original" cable (btw, my original LG cable is a cheap piece of crap and is fraying out quickly even though its in a charger station and never moves!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts