VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK today was the second attempt at putting the timing together. No matter how we tried, it was always off. Now, I'd like to know two things:
1. which setting is better
2. what will be the differences in power curves/driveability between those two pictured settings.
And before you ask - yeah, I'm 100% sure I'm at TDC.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Re: Unalignable camshafts - pics inside (mecca666)

either there is something wrong with you cams since at may be cut wrong or the chain has stretch.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts

Man your in the same boat I was in. Look at my post below yours. Could be a worn chain. Is your chain tight when your aligning one cam? Could be the slack in the chain. Looks like your still off some, but close. Also just be sure your notches on the cams are facing up, and also that the notch on the intermediate shaft is visible and in line with the mark on the pressure plate mark. Other then that good luck! I know I did'nt have any.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Re: Unalignable camshafts - pics inside (ricers-beware)

Do you have a cam alignment too? If so and you can get it to fit then your timing chain is most likely stretched.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Re: Unalignable camshafts - pics inside (JETTSET)

Are you using aftermarket cams??
Those look like cat cams and they don't always line up exactly, it's okay if they are a little of becaue when the things are spinning at 4000 RPM they aren't gonna stay exactly lined up anyways. You can double check your tensioners as well.
But if your concerned one option is to enlarge the notch in the cam gears to make your own adjustable cam gears. You can then set the timing exactly how you want it and then tighten down the bolt.
Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts

I too had exactly the same problem. and out by the same amount. Solved by replacing the chain, tensioner and the plastic guide rail. It's also woth checking that the intermesdiate sprocket is alligned up correctly. unfortunately it is a gbox off job and easier if the engine is out.
good luck
rob

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Unalignable camshafts - pics inside (rshiers)

Thanks for ideas guys. Yes, those are Cats 274. Plastic guide rail was replaced, tensioner was not because I dodn't want to drop the tranny just yet.
Still I'm wondering which setting would be "better"... As for the worn chain/tensioner - problem is stock cams lined up perfectly... the cats don't.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

I would put them so they are more rotated foward cause it will be more advanced. (correct me if I am wrong). Then just make sure you turn the motor over by hand before starting. But I would say your chain is stretched.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Unalignable camshafts - pics inside (VRQUICK)

I had it for a week in the first "advanced" position. Pulled great but ran out of breath past 6000. Now I have it in the second position and it pulls worse than stock and hardly revs past 5000. Plus it stalls at every single lights.
I'm lost...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

How many miles are on the motor. I think you need to do your chains and tensioners.

[Modified by VRQUICK, 9:23 AM 3-23-2003]

[Modified by VRQUICK, 9:23 AM 3-23-2003]

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

mecca666, have you tried to contact Robert, a.k.a YellowSLC. He did my DSR 256's and let me tell you, he is no joke! The guy can do cams in his sleep. Try sending him a message and see if he can guide you through it or point out if your missing on something.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Re: Unalignable camshafts - pics inside (Lukedub)

yeahup this same problem caused me to order like 300 dollars in chains tensioners and blah blah blah to fix it, but yeah i had the same prob.. wad a biTTTTCH

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: Unalignable camshafts - pics inside (Manic_VR)

Have you tried running it? The phase of the cams will change once the chain tensioner builds up some oil pressure. It loses some of its oil when the cams come out and chain will not pull the cams straight. just a thought

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Unalignable camshafts - pics inside (vr604)

yes I've run it in both positions. As I said the first one (advanced) pulled great but only till 6000 RPM. THen it was like stock.
Second setting is horrid - car stalls every time I lift off the throttle, feels about 100HP strong. Hall sender here I come?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Unalignable camshafts - pics inside (need_a_VR6)

That's what I'll be doing today. I've had BVH done (intake) and MAYBE the valves are not sealed properly...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts