VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet uncle Touchy, my 87 Brougham. It got the LQ4/4l80/Cam/ etc... treatment. Not sure if the horns are staying.

Posting here because like most of TCL, I am getting to be middle aged and cranky and don't hang out in Taco Bell parking lots to show it off.

And did you know that you can upgrade the weak 10 bolt rear with 14 bolt from a hearse? How cool is that.

·
Premium Member
18,578 Posts
Hehehehehe That is sweet. Horns need to stay.

Ok, so I was hoping you meant you were thinking of ditching the train horns and I was gonna be like "I will buy those!"

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Nice! I occasionally search Craigslist for grandpa cars, but no space means it never goes anywhere. You've solved the only real problem with '80's BoF GM cars - the weak engines.

I'd lose the horns and reserve them for the white convertible Caddy that they belong on.

Show us more of your shop as well!

·
Registered
BMW M3, Mazda CX-5, Ford E350, motorcycles
2,275 Posts
I love malaise-era american barges in so much as they're so unlike what you can buy now. I kinda want one now. I'd take a Grand Marquis in silver over red leather.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Your 'Cam/etc' upgrade is very nice. Never seen a cam with a volute on it!

And even nicer....an upgrade from a hearse!?!

·
Registered
'21 Mazda CX-9 GT / '72 Grand Prix J
72 Posts
Whoa - any videos on that? I want to see that in action.

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,392 Posts
Nice. I have had an itch for a big barge for a while.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
18,996 Posts
Cool. I had a white on white '85 Fleetwood Brougham with a leopard print headliner... Drove it up to Massachusetts and back in comfort. Ended up trading it to my father in law for his Jaguar Series III XJ6.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ah I freaking love these. X2 on video please.
I'm glad we have a fleetwood brougham thread--something that has always bothered me is that the eighties ones seem to sit so much nicer than the later refresh models.

I cant tell if they were actually lower or if it was just the way the bumpers and the cladding looked on the nineties refresh.

Plus I greatly prefer the old school quad headlights with the crest in the horizontal amber reflector.

·
Premium Member
3 MQB hatchbacks and some Fords.
689 Posts
This just might be more of a sleeper than a Golf R or Stinger..

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
What's that snail doing there?

Have to admit that while I'm not a fan of the land yacht cars, I love the sleeper treatment here. Any idea what kind of power it's putting down? What are you doing for engine management?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This will have to do for now. Need another set of hands to do a video while doing pulls...

Tough to tell just how quiet it is in the video, but standing next to it you wouldn't think anything. When it's uncorked it gets very loud. The stock exhaust is so restrictive, the turbo won't even spool until it is uncorked. I am OK with that for putting around town.

It's on Terminator X Max.

Goal is to run 10.50's with it and drive it home.

Was gonna put the gauges in a tissue box on the dashboard eventually.

·
Registered
Japanese Truck, Italian Motorcycle
2,102 Posts
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, good sir. This is the type of crap I'd like to see more of around here.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts