VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started playing with an Arduino. Seems there's a few opensource projects that provide FIS, 3LB, CAN and LIN libraries for the platform. I'm setting up a test bench to see what I can do with an Arduino based bluetooth bridge on the CAN bus feeding the FIS and stock head unit. If I can do what I think it can do, I'll want to integrate said bridge under my dash.

I think this is a perfect excuse to remove my dash and clean up any issues under there. One item I know I want to address is the center speaker and speaker wires. Another is repurposing the analog cell phone hardware. There's also verifying gear integrity on hvac flap stepper motors (I had to replace the cabin air inlet flap motor once because it cracked).

My question is what else should I just replace with the dash out of the car?
What jobs call for removing the dash and might as well be done with the dash out?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Heater core. Glovebox lights. Just a few things that come to mind. I think the A/C has to be evacuated if you want to take that unit apart, though.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
According to the Bentley manual, the dash center speaker is only for navigation and car phone.

Was the flap motor you replaced, the V71 Recirculation motor under the cabin filter? I'm trying to do that one right now... I got the old failed motor out but I can't get the new in, my hands are too big to reach in to install it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the cabin air inlet motor is the one I replaced years ago. A gear had snapped so the motor would just turn. As I recall, the real pain is getting the levers to work the flap to line up. Can't offer much other than my condolences on that one.

For the center speaker, I put in an after market head unit for a while after the stock tape deck killed itself. That head unit gave me a blown center speaker. Reclaiming navigation and phone functionality is something I think I can accomplish with an Arduino based bluetooth bridge. If I can, then I might as well have a working speaker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts