VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is an old thread with a lot of arguing about this: Does Alltrack have underbody cladding?

There is golfdave's original thread, which is still active (62 pages long on web browser), and TBH his sticky posts in it are full of extra info and very short on photos. It's also very Euro-centric and less helpful to North American GSW/Alltrack owners (and also FWD focused). So, if I spent a few weeks of free time reading through the massive thread, I might figure everything out, but I'm wondering if someone here has already figured out what additional underbody cladding fits on the Mk7/7.5 Alltrack and GSW 4motion.

It's clear that we already have a good extended skid plate under the engine (glass-reinforced plastic, quite heavy). I am interested in additional protection and aerodynamic improvement from adding more plates/cladding elsewhere under the car. Anyone here done it?

·
Registered
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
261 Posts
You only have to read the first few post on the first page as all the info is there & upto date...

There are other threads, but the same applies..

Basically as you have the AWD Haldex system most of the panels that fit the 2WD will not fit your car.....the only other panels is to replace the rubber protector covers (which you might have factory fitted) on the lower rear arms & fit the MK8 Golf plastic "aero covers" here in this thread:-...

How to retro-fit the Mk8 rear suspension aero covers or stone guards to a Mk7 Golf. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

& again only the first 5 posts on the first page include the relevant & upto date info..

Reactions: VQVW and surfstar

·
Registered
22 Posts
Basically as you have the AWD Haldex system most of the panels that fit the 2WD will not fit your car.....the only other panels is to replace the rubber protector covers (which you might have factory fitted) on the lower rear arms & fit the MK8 Golf plastic "aero covers" here in this thread:-...
Interestingly, the Alltrack (2017 SE) does NOT come stock with these. You'd think it would have all under carrage protection possible.

I have also been looking at this tunnel shield. Which is a glaring hole seemling in need of protecting. And see they make a similar aluminum replacement front skid plate... if someone wants to swap out the existing plastic stock piece. Not as cost effective as the parts from VAG, obviously.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interestingly, the Alltrack (2017 SE) does NOT come stock with these. You'd think it would have all under carrage protection possible.

I have also been looking at this tunnel shield. Which is a glaring hole seemling in need of protecting. And see they make a similar aluminum replacement front skid plate... if someone wants to swap out the existing plastic stock piece. Not as cost effective as the parts from VAG, obviously.

I've heard people make their own, and it ends up trapping a lot of heat inside.
I wonder if someone could make one like this with an entrance and exit NACA Duct however.

·
Registered
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
261 Posts

Depends on your countries importer & the spec they choose.....& the exhaust tunnel has a front cover which fits betwen the rear of the front subframe & upto the middle bracket...but you have the cardan shaft bracket in this place. You can fit it but you would have to use slightly longer bolts & bend the "wings" to get it to fit 100%. The AWD are only designed to have the "short" front exhaust cover which is basically an aero flap...Again all info in the first few posts on the first page of that big thread...

& If you were to completely cover that exhaust tunnel you have heat problems...even on a 2WD with all the covers possible fitted, there is still a few gaps for the heat management of the exhaust..

One other cover I forgot to mention that you can fit is the Tiguan front subframe cover...

How to retro-fit the front subframe cover from the VW Tiguan (2016->) | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Reactions: surfstar and VQVW

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I picked up that OEM front tunnel cover it was cheap when i ordered the rear hatch wings. Once crawling under the car, I notice how tight it is with the prop shaft and OEM cat all living in the tunnel, the cat is much lower to the plane of the car, so the OEM tunnel cover would be touching the cat (it does have some aluminum for heat shielding but i figure it wouldn't be enough).

If you were to go aftermarket DP you'd then have an inch or two clearance, air flow at idle would still trap a fair amount of hot air.

The other thing to keep in mind these OEM things are aero aids and provide zero projection for "off roading".

For me, i figured if i cared about aero improvement and MPG, a I'd just drop my speed from 75mph to 70mph and I'd reap way more benefit than potentially melting some plastic and junking up the underside.

Reactions: danvphotos and VQVW

·
Registered
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
261 Posts
I picked up that OEM front tunnel cover it was cheap when i ordered the rear hatch wings. Once crawling under the car, I notice how tight it is with the prop shaft and OEM cat all living in the tunnel, the cat is much lower to the plane of the car, so the OEM tunnel cover would be touching the cat (it does have some aluminum for heat shielding but i figure it wouldn't be enough).

If you were to go aftermarket DP you'd then have an inch or two clearance, air flow at idle would still trap a fair amount of hot air.

The other thing to keep in mind these OEM things are aero aids and provide zero projection for "off roading".

For me, i figured if i cared about aero improvement and MPG, a I'd just drop my speed from 75mph to 70mph and I'd reap way more benefit than potentially melting some plastic and junking up the underside.
That front exhaust tunnel cover is not made for the AWD...its basically "try at your own risk"..there is the very short aero lip for the the AWD...

For off roading the only pieces which are 100% designed for protection is the reinforced front full skid tray & the rubber covers for the rear lower arms...

Reactions: surfstar and VQVW

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You only have to read the first few post on the first page as all the info is there & upto date...

There are other threads, but the same applies..

How to retro-fit the Mk8 rear suspension aero covers or stone guards to a Mk7 Golf. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

& again only the first 5 posts on the first page include the relevant & upto date info..
Thanks, Dave. I will go back and read your first few posts. And thanks for clarifying here what works for AWD. Most of the people in this subforum have AWD wagons.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Some how the words "rubber" and off road protection just don't seem to jive with me for those rear LCA covers. Maybe its the definition of "off roading" doesn't translate across the pond of dirt road/driveways vs unmaintained class 6 logging roads with boulders begging to high spot your rockers/belly pan.

As for that front tunnel cover, agreed, only way I'd think of installing it is if i had an aftermarket DP. Meanwhile it collects dust in the garage, i think it was around $20 plus a little more for the mounting pegs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went with the Ares skid plate after a particularly snowy/icy winter took the plastic off for me and it unfortunately gets lots of use but glad to have it! Not much cooling if you have a dsg I think but I have a manual and don't track it so not an issue.

·
Registered
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
261 Posts
Some how the words "rubber" and off road protection just don't seem to jive with me for those rear LCA covers. Maybe its the definition of "off roading" doesn't translate across the pond of dirt road/driveways vs unmaintained class 6 logging roads with boulders begging to high spot your rockers/belly pan.

As for that front tunnel cover, agreed, only way I'd think of installing it is if i had an aftermarket DP. Meanwhile it collects dust in the garage, i think it was around $20 plus a little more for the mounting pegs.
The Alltrack is not designed for that type of trail with big boulders..maximum is a grassy field for parking or a gravel forestry road....its just a basic Golf with higher springs & the R AWD.....

Reactions: goalieman24

·
Registered
482 Posts
Maybe its the definition of "off roading" doesn't translate across the pond of dirt road/driveways vs unmaintained class 6 logging roads with boulders begging to high spot your rockers/belly pan.
Ironic, considering most of this extra 'protection' and stuff like approved tow ratings never even made it to the NAR market.

No matter what they're made of, they wouldn't save a basic wagon with minimal ground clearance from your little scenario.

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
In blue is the stone chip protector for rear control arms as mentioned. Looks like expanding rivets are spec'd.

The part in the VW diagram looks different from the part number mentioned by in golfdave's thread: rear stone guard - left I wonder if we can find the right part number because I'd be interested in adding these.

It also does not look like the other stone chip protector, part #8 in this diagram:

This one is only shown for torsion beam rear axle. No such part for AWD rear suspension.

·
Registered
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
261 Posts
In blue is the stone chip protector for rear control arms as mentioned. Looks like expanding rivets are spec'd.

View attachment 106065

The part in the VW diagram looks different from the part number mentioned by in golfdave's thread: rear stone guard - left I wonder if we can find the right part number because I'd be interested in adding these.

It also does not look like the other stone chip protector, part #8 in this diagram: View attachment 106067

This one is only shown for torsion beam rear axle. No such part for AWD rear suspension.
All the above multilink parts are mentioned in my thread.

The first part you mention (for multilink suspension 2WD or AWD) is:-
Golf Mk5/6/7/8, Stone chip guards:-
Item No.22:- 5Q0 511 533A,
Stone chip guard left, black rubber, £26.92 (x1)
Item No.22:- 5Q0 511 534A, Stone chip guard right, black rubber, £26.92 (x1)

To fit as per VAG require:-
Item No.23:- N 909 203 01,
Rivet nut M6, £1.63 (x4)
Item No.24:- N 911 335 01, Hex head bolt M6x18mm with washer (22mm dia.), £0.96 (x4)
Item No.25:- 8E0 825 267, Plastic spreader rivet, £0.24 (x4)

I had those but removed them & fitted:-
Golf Mk8, Splash guards (Aero covers):-
Item No.22:- 5Q0 501 733,
Mk8 Splash guard (Aero cover) left, black plastic, £11.07 (x1)
Item No.22:- 5Q0 501 734, Mk8 Splash guard (Aero cover) right, black plastic, £11.07 (x1)
These you can fit just using the plastic push rivets, no need for the rivet nuts/bolts if you don't have them fitted.

The last item you mention is a "stone protector like the first item, just ONLY for the torsion beam suspension..this is mention in the big aero/undertray thread in this post here:-

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

·
Registered
161 Posts
ECS Street Shield mounts to the plastic of the front bumper. So if you do hit a rock or something the plate will impact your oil pan and break your front bumper.
both of them have supports that mount to the frame, yes if you hit some from the front it will destroy the bumper, but with the supports you shouldn't have any flex in it.

so oil pan is safe

it is more designed for coming down onto an object as opposed to running into stuff ie chucks of ice, rocks on a rough road. I wouldn't consider it anywhere close to a rally skid plate

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
ECS plate needs to be speced with those front brackets, many people see the lower priced non bracket kit and think they are getting something they are not, it is a decent areo tray, but not much more than that unless those brackets are included.

And lets not kid ourselves, even the OEM pan with the brackets (ECS, or Atlas) will only do so much in preventing catastrophe.

·
Registered
161 Posts
ECS plate needs to be speced with those front brackets, many people see the lower priced non bracket kit and think they are getting something they are not, it is a decent areo tray, but not much more than that unless those brackets are included.

And lets not kid ourselves, even the OEM pan with the brackets (ECS, or Atlas) will only do so much in preventing catastrophe.
That is completely fair, partly why im leaning towards the atlas ones, but might also build some extra protection

1 - 20 of 27 Posts