VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did a search for underdrive pulleys for the g60 and came up with nothing. i have already pulled the ac compressor and even less resistance would be nice. i plan on running the stock lysholm pulley at 12 psi to save stress on the engine. also i have a lightened flywheel. (12lbs.) are any of you guys running underdrive pulleys? if so, what brand, and did they help? i've seen dyno's on 240's and a sentra se-r and such and the underdrive pulleys made up to a 12 hp gain at the wheels!

Modified by discoloredcurrency at 3:16 PM 11-19-2004

· Registered
13,236 Posts
Re: underdrive pulleys (discoloredcurrency)

TT makes an underdrive pulley for the Alt, but it is really just to be able to use the stock belt when going with the 68mm Pulley. What else are you looking to underdrive since the h2o and PS pump are all thats left and I don;t think you woudl want to mess with them
If you are looking to squeeze out every last ounce, you could go with the lightweight Cam and I/S Cogs and maybe a lightweight Crank Mass assy to reduce the rotational mass and help with Revs. You prolly will notice ver little if anything on the rollers from it, btu I am sure it will help with revs. I am not sure who makes the crank one or what the results are (i.e. good or bad) but I know I have seen an AL one that was a few lbs lighter...
S

· Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: underdrive pulleys (sdezego)

the crank and the cog for sure, but i read that the smaller pulley on the ps pump did make a noticable difference in steering on the 240. it might on the rado though, i really don't want to risk it on the steering if no one has done it and says it doesn't make a difference. as far as the h20 pump, i'm not ******* with that. cooling is too important. i think just the ac removal will make the most difference. i probably should get a cam, as much money as i have in this damn thing already! i would ask which cam is best for a stage III lysholm at 12 psi with lightened flywheel, but i don't want to get "searched" to death
so i will do so. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
13,471 Posts
Re: underdrive pulleys (psykokid)

Quote, originally posted by psykokid »
remove the ps pump and use an electric unit from a subaru. Im not sure what model the one you want to use comes from, but iirc its an older car.

Electric Pumps come in:
Citroen Saxo's
Toyota MR2's
Almost all Porsche's
Subura Legacy First Gen
etc etc
I would go with the MR2 unit,pictured here:

As for underdrive pulleys.I am having Richard Hoffman make me a set for $200US.This includes all pulleys from Alternator to water pump to PS etc etc.
He is on here,Billzcat1...give him a shout and see what he can manufacture for you.

· Registered
13,471 Posts

Quote, originally posted by discoloredcurrency »
excellent! what year mr2? my friend has a part car ae86 corolla, it might have one if it's the mk1 mr2. they both had the 4age. and the sc mr2 was 4agze. i hope not is wasn't only on the 3sgte

AE86 doesnt = MR2.
I beluve 1991 or 1992 MR2 is the pump you want.Whatever the case its an electrical pump, and yes its from the MR2 with the 3S-GTE

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: underdrive pulleys (psykokid)

Quote, originally posted by psykokid »
remove the ps pump and use an electric unit from a subaru. Im not sure what model the one you want to use comes from, but iirc its an older car.

You mean water pump right? they do take power, i heard like 10 hp.

· Registered
20,747 Posts

If you run an underdrive pulley for the crank then you will want to run a lot smaller charger pulley(say 65mm-60mm depending on the crank pulley size). if you still want to run 12psi.
Remember if you run an underdrive pulley the accessories and supercharger will be underdriven.
If you desire to go this route you could always just use the UR MK3 2L crank pulley.
Personnally I would rather run a lightweight overdrive pulley and a larger charger pulley:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1346439

· Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: underdrive pulleys (sdezego)

i would rather run a higher psi with a lighter pulley elsewhere than a smaller charger pulley. it seems logical to me to underdrive rather than over work the charger and engine. nice piece and link! thanks! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
13,471 Posts
Re: underdrive pulleys (G60ING)

Quote, originally posted by G60ING »

Personnally I would rather run a lightweight overdrive pulley and a larger charger pulley:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1346439

Not for $240US.Alot of guys recently are over charging for stuff.3 hours on a lathe and some patience with a block of aluminum will save me $240.Thats just my opinion...

· Registered
13,236 Posts
Re: underdrive pulleys (Wizard-of-OD)

hmmmm, so those eliminate the harmonic dampener completely? I wonder how that runs. Vibrations etc.. Looks good for race, but wonder how it would be for street use.
The AL ones that I have seen still have the rubber dampened mass, but basically replace the heavy cast hub with An AL one.
Shawn

· Registered
20,747 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Wizard-of-OD »

Not for $240US.Alot of guys recently are over charging for stuff.3 hours on a lathe and some patience with a block of aluminum will save me $240.Thats just my opinion...

If it were as simple as a chunk of Al and only 3 hours I think that there would be a lot more people running custom Al. pulleys
I know of a few people that have had the pulleys on their daily driver cars since I sold them and they have had no problems. Also if you are building a motor up you should consider having the internals balanced with the flywheel, pressure plate, and crank pulley so they are balanced as a unit because a balancing them individually will not always net you the best results. Something else to remember is that the stock harmonic balancers are getting to be over 15 years old and the rubber is probably deteriorating or maybe in some cases popping out. I know a few people have told me how their balancers have come apart

· Registered
13,471 Posts

If it were as simple as a chunk of Al and only 3 hours I think that there would be a lot more people running custom Al. pulleys

Ok let me put it simply for you.If i were to give $240US to Billzcat1 he would make me:
1. Crank Pulley
2. Alternator Pulley
3. Water Pump Pulley
4. PS Pulley
5. Anodise them blue and clear coat them.
Sorry not meaning to low ball your sale or whatever but that is the harsh reality.They will all be machined from 6061-T6 Aluminum(billet<<this just means fresh block of aluminum
)
As for balancing your engine or else it will blow up is a mith.If your using stock bottom end and placing lightened flywheel + lightened crank pulley on there just make sure that whoever is doing the machining is certain that there are pre balanced.Simple...
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
20,747 Posts

Sorry not meaning to low ball your sale or whatever but that is the harsh reality.

you aren't lowballing anything as they are all sold and as I stated in the sale I won't be making anymore

As for balancing your engine or else it will blow up is a mith.If your using stock bottom end and placing lightened flywheel + lightened crank pulley on there just make sure that whoever is doing the machining is certain that there are pre balanced.Simple...
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I never said that not balancing your bottom end will cause your bottom end to blow up I simply said it should be considered.
If he makes all that stuff for $240 he should open up shop http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Man the grief I get for expanding the topic to consider that underdrive crank pulleys will spin the charger less and also produce less boost. I wasn't trying to steer anybody to buying a pulley . Hell they were all sold over 7 months ago

· Registered
13,471 Posts

Man the grief I get for expanding the topic to consider that underdrive crank pulleys will spin the charger less and also produce less boost. I wasn't trying to steer anybody to buying a pulley . Hell they were all sold over 7 months ago

I must apologise,did not mean to push your buttons.He doesnt have a shop because he is still in school.
Thanks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.