VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
18,857 Posts

Evora launched in the US and world to a big wet thump. Lotus screwed up and launched it without a supercharger, and by time the S launched with more power, the press had made up their minds. Car was panned by the press, and it didn't sell well at all.

10 years later, the series 2 Evoras are generally praised, and a lot of it is because they're a brand new but old school and analogue feeling car. But the first series cars are still fantastic cars, and they're a total riot to drive.

·
Chili Bigot
19,979 Posts
By the time Pontiac and GM got this right, they put it down.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I'll go there - the Mark 4 Supra.

It got generally good headlines, but it was generally considered to be an uglier cousin to the sevlte 30ZX Twin Turbo, a Japanese Trans Am.

And having driven one, I agree with that assessment. In stock form, they were nothing really special.

But thanks to Fast and Furious....

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's a TCL darling, but damn few people are buying them...

·
Registered
18,330 Posts
The current Mazda 6 is such a handsome mid-size car.

·
Registered
18,330 Posts
Third generation Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo. They didn't even bother selling them in Canada, and 19-year-old me wanted one very much. :(

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Dealers couldn't give them away at the time, and with this photo it's sorta easy to see why. They're a wee bit stick legged in stock form.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
The Alfa Spider got decidedly mixed reviews at its introduction in 1966.

It was priced similarly to a Jaguar E-type but had just a 4 cylinder engine. It was nearly twice the price of an MGB. The styling was not widely praised- it was considered gimmicky. Its advantages over other sports cars of the period were subtle. Although it ran a small 4 banger, it was a very advanced engine for the time with dual overhead cams and a very good flowing head by the standards of the day. It had a 5 speed transmission when many cars were still doing with 3 and it had 4-wheel disc brakes when 4 wheel drums were the standard. Arguably, it was Hollywood that saved it when it became the star car in "The Graduate." It's really only luck that the film turned out to be an all-time classic that got people interested in the car.

Anyhow, despite the lackluster reviews and slow initial sales, it ended up with a nearly 30 year run with only minor revisions over the years despite 4 generations.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I'll go there - the Mark 4 Supra.

It got generally good headlines, but it was generally considered to be an uglier cousin to the sevlte 30ZX Twin Turbo, a Japanese Trans Am.

And having driven one, I agree with that assessment. In stock form, they were nothing really special.

But thanks to Fast and Furious....
The Mk4 Supra was a heavy GT 2+2 and not really a sports car.

And along those same lines: Nissan 240SX.

These were nothing special when they came out: under powered, not really all that sporty, bland looking. It wasn't until DORIFTO!! took off that anyone cared about them.

·
Registered
677 Posts

Weird looking, weird door layout, down on power, terrible MPG and unreliable. Plus it wasn't what people were expecting as a successor to the RX7.

I think that people are starting to appreciate them a lot more after figuring out how to keep them running (don't flood them, premix, etc) and that it's actually a great handling chassis.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts

Weird looking, weird door layout, down on power, terrible MPG and unreliable. Plus it wasn't what people were expecting as a successor to the RX7.

I think that people are starting to appreciate them a lot more after figuring out how to keep them running (don't flood them, premix, etc) and that it's actually a great handling chassis.
I think the RX-8 was both under and overrated at the time. People like Jeremy Clarkson gave them favorable reviews, but it wasn't until after a couple years did people come to understand the limited longevity and special needs of the Renesis motor.

I think Mazda's main failure with the RX-8 was going downmarket compared to the RX-7. It should have been a 2-seat 400hp turbocharged track monster. The kind of person who buys a car like that is willing to put up with things premix and the occasional failed apex seal. Making it a practical quasi-4-door and selling it at an accessible price meant it got purchased for daily driver duty that it just wasn't well matched with. The suicide doors are neat from a practicality standpoint, but they also keep the car from looking as svelte as it could have.

·
Chili Bigot
19,979 Posts
As I recall, the 240SX was pretty hot when it came out. My dad and I looked at and test drove them in 89 and the dealers all wanted $500 over MSRP. I think the reason the 240 ended up as a popular drift-mobile was because there were so many on the used market and they could be bought cheaply by the early-mid 2000s. My XW had two. A 91 S13 fastback and a left over 95 S14. She only gave up the latter because we were expecting our first child.

The S14 ultimately failed for the same reason a lot of the other Japanese sports cars mentioned in this thread did; they got too expensive. Nissan tried to take the 240 upmarket as a kind of low cost Lexus SC (the sticker on our S14 was $35K which was insane for 1996). The MkIV Supra and FD RX-7 also got too expensive. That's why Toyota dropped it and Mazda tried to bring the rotary back with a lower priced RX-8.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
The Mk4 Supra was a heavy GT 2+2 and not really a sports car.

And along those same lines: Nissan 240SX.

These were nothing special when they came out: under powered, not really all that sporty, bland looking. It wasn't until DORIFTO!! took off that anyone cared about them.

Yep - the Mk4 Supra was a GT car and didn't get any attention until the first F&F movie.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
LFA

Built to perfection. Best sounding car ever. Exotic V10. Apparently not prestigious enough for some old rich dudes

1 - 20 of 106 Posts