VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was checking the coilpack on my Mk3 GTI VR6 to make sure it's not the cause of a random misfire, and in the process took the coilpack out and cleaned the contacts. I also disconnected the big round wire harness on the back of the block, and cleaned those contacts as well. Now the car won't start. It turns over, but never starts. While turning over the clock and odometer fade in and out. Vag-com tells me this:
10 Faults Found:
17952 - Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187): Signal too Large
P1544 - 35-00 - -
16505 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69): Implausible Signal
P0121 - 35-00 - -
17645 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 1 (N30): Open Circuit
P1237 - 35-00 - -
17646 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 2 (N31): Open Circuit
P1238 - 35-00 - -
17647 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 3 (N32): Open Circuit
P1239 - 35-00 - -
17648 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 4 (N33): Open Circuit
P1240 - 35-00 - -
17649 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 5 (N83): Open Circuit
P1241 - 35-00 - -
17881 - EVAP Leak Detection Pump: Open Circuit
P1473 - 35-00 - -
17650 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 6 (N84): Open Circuit
P1242 - 35-00 - -
16502 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Signal too High
P0118 - 35-00 - -
The EVAP LDP code has always been there, but those other ones just appeared all at once. What the heck did I do?
Nate

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Unhooked big round wire harness (billiethebutcher)

You also may not have the engine harness connected fully. Disconnect it, spray both sides with electric cleaner to remove any grease and reinstall fully. The engine will not start if the ECM doesn't see the injectors.
Oh, and I'll put money down that you need a new coil. When you get it running, mist the coil with water or a water/soap mixture. Almost guaranteed it will miss very badly. Pony up the $250 for a new coil.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Unhooked big round wire harness (iraqtroop)

Success!! Turned out that the big round harness wasn't fully connected. What happened was almost all of the tabs on the ECU end of the harness have broken off, and most of the plastic on the rotating collar has also broken off. So when I would twist it to lock it in place, the two parts would separate, and none of the pins on the engine half of the harness were touching the ECU half. I had to remove the rubber seal on the ECU half and it finally seated all the way and started right up. Whew. I was really worried. Thanks for all the help, I thought I was totally screwed. Now all I have to do is figure out why I'm getting a misfire on cylinder 4 sometimes. Thanks again everyone.
Nate
Oh yeah, I did have some problems with my coilpack when it would rain. I took it off and found two big cracks, one on each side. I did the JB Weld fix and it's been fine ever since. Well, except for the random misfire. So I'm hoping I can just use the one I have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.