VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
141 - 160 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also think you're suffering from compressor surge. Instead of removing the tune completely, why not switch over to the low torque tune? I'm assuming the boost request at lower rpms is lower for the low torque tune. If your problems disappear, then you know for sure what the problem is. Until then, you'll have change your driving style and downshift into fourth when getting on it at highway speeds. You really DON'T want compressor surge, not unless your plan is to replace the turbo sooner rather than later.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
We have some new files available.

In general: ANY tune trying to run big mid-range torque can see compressor surge, (this is not isolated to any vendor).
The effect can have some to do with driving style:
Full load at ~lower revs and high gears is where you see it. Calling for ~too much pressure for current compressor flow.

If the boost curve is optimized for 6th gear to completely avoid surge this may seem
like 'slow spool' in lower gears.

If the boost curve is optimized for 3rd gear, you ~may drive into surge in high gears.

'Low boost' files avoid this altogether but tend to produce less peak torque.

Its interesting: these ecu's have anti-surge limitations built in. We did not cut/go around/or otherwise remove/tune
this fucntion out, yet surge is occurring in some cases. Change intake parts also plays into this.

Anyone who believes they have compressor surge running UM software:
Please return to your UM dealer immediately: we will address the issue. Absolutely no cost.
This will NOT be: choose one of two choices. We will sort you individually.
If your dealer is unresponsive call us directly. 203 889 0008

-Jeffrey Atwood

·
Registered
67 Posts
We have some new files available.

In general: ANY tune trying to run big mid-range torque can see compressor surge, (this is not isolated to any vendor).
The effect can have some to do with driving style:
Full load at ~lower revs and high gears is where you see it. Calling for ~too much pressure for current compressor flow.

If the boost curve is optimized for 6th gear to completely avoid surge this may seem
like 'slow spool' in lower gears.

If the boost curve is optimized for 3rd gear, you ~may drive into surge in high gears.

'Low boost' files avoid this altogether but tend to produce less peak torque.

Its interesting: these ecu's have anti-surge limitations built in. We did not cut/go around/or otherwise remove/tune
this fucntion out, yet surge is occurring in some cases. Change intake parts also plays into this.

Anyone who believes they have compressor surge running UM software:
Please return to your UM dealer immediately: we will address the issue. Absolutely no cost.
This will NOT be: choose one of two choices. We will sort you individually.
If your dealer is unresponsive call us directly. 203 889 0008

-Jeffrey Atwood
You just won my business with just a few words.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Wow, I like how you run your business. Very similar to how I run mine. When I'm ready for a tune, I'm fairly certain this is the way to go. And it looks like you have a local dealer here, even better! :thumbup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Jeff just sent a file specific to my car to my UM dealer. Unfortunately, I am out of town so I have to wait until next week to get updated. I am very excited!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Would you recommend early adopters to upgrade their software even if they're not experiencing surge?
Are there enhancements/improvements other than correcting for the surge? ECU/TCU

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
tried to get tuned yesterday at a show and um's server said they were out of credits :banghead:

was all excited seeing the post of the guy running 11.5 @ 115 too

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Today, I went down to EFI Express in Lee, NH. These guys were awesome!

We started things off by them putting my Golf up on the lift and checking my DP installation and making sure I did everything correctly since this was my first time doing any major car work. Other than not tightening everything down perfectly, they were happy with my work. I have some Bull-X downpipe issues I've posted in this thread.

I went in wanting the Golf R 2016 Full Torque w/ Downpipe Tune along with the DSG Tune (required for full torque). EFI spoke with Fred and the way it was explained to me is that my DSG part number was unrecognized and they didn't have a file for it. So I had a few choices.

• Drive 2 hours back home and wait for the DSG tune to become available for my car
  • Drive my car 3.5 hours south to Connecticut and leave it there for 1-3 days while they build the file and test it
  • Get the Low-Torque ECU Flash for my car w/o any bells or whistles and wait up to 3 weeks for UM to build a tune specifically for my DSG part number

EFI did pull a ton of data from my car and send it to UM. Now they supposedly are waiting for another customer w/ my part to come in to their shop in CT to get a tune so they can make sure it's perfect.

While I appreciate their professionalism, I also wish companies like UM would have a thing on their website that instructs potential customers what to look up in VCDS (ECU & TCU codes / part numbers) so I could have just emailed that info to EFI Express and saved myself a tank of gas.

I went with the low torque file and had a blast on the drive home. I'm just disappointed I have to drive another 4 hours to get the DSG tune. It could have been avoided I think if I knew my DSG part didn't have a file built for it
-----

It took a few photos:

-----------

My initial impressions are hard to judge. I'm not going to talk much about the pros because I really want to keep my comments reserved for the ECU + TCU combo w/ DP & Full Torque on 93 Octane fuel. I think that's fair. I am very impressed with this tune. I have some criticisms on the power namely you don't get 25PSI boost until you're in 3rd gear. Does that change with launch control? Is that a feature of the low-torque DSG saving tune?

I would like to list the issues I experienced today intermittently:

• In Manual DSG without doing launch control, just getting onto the freeway in 1st to 3rd gear, I would experience a weird drop in boost PSI around 4K RPM and 5K RPM. This drop in boost pressure while I was clearly throttling hard also lead to an audible bump sound along with a tiny vibration that coincided with the PSI drop of about 5PSI and stall in RPM climbs. Note, this stutter does not happen in automatic (drive or sport) Only Manual.
  • At 15 MPH in 2nd gear, as I come to a stop at a red light and apply the breaks, the usual shift from 2nd to 1st gear is abrupt but it's far more pronounced with this tune also making a small knock noise and jarring me even more than stock. This is in Full Auto "Drive" DSG.

Part of this could be the lack of a TCU Tune? The low torque file? The issues I am listing occurred on every situation for the 105 miles it took me to get home. i got off a few exits and back on to recreate the abrupt stop feeling and the strange boost drop acceleration. These are not reasons to ask for a refund. My course of action is to keep the tune on, get the TCU tune and then re-evaluate.

I am really confident that Jeff & Fred are rockstars and if they do want me to do any VCDS logging, I'm happy to oblige. If what I'm getting is normal, I'll work around it at least until I go full ECU+TCU and re-evaluate how I feel.

You can see some examples in a video I posted today. the 10:35 mark are some clips after getting the tune.

Sorry for being so wordy. i don't want anyone to think I'm ****ting on UM. Everything I've seen here and in my tune today, I'm really happy. I have full confidence everything will work out.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Very weird boost drop, that cant be the way they limit torque, it should be trimming boost.

Anyway, my car did nothing different (except going really effing fast) after going stage 2, and I know apr doesnt require the DSG tune so I would be wary.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Well said Adam; send UM a message on Facebook, link this thread and ask them to read post number 156.

By all accounts, they make things right provided they have all the details. Please update the thread when they resolve the issues.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Had my car tuned today at EFI Express. Day after Adam. I have MT and got full torque. With tune, installed CTS Downpipe w/ Cat and VWR Intake.
The car is fast and pulls hard. Its sounds great. No strange noises or boost drops. I have only ran it for about a half hour today and will get more
time on it tomorrow. So far I love it. EFI guys are great and the UM tune is a big jump. Need to get a dyno test done but appears to be a 70-75HP jump.

141 - 160 of 419 Posts