VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got the engine/dsg combo done and it's worth every penny, I love the smooth shifts and increased mpg. This combined with the EVOMS CAI was a great upgrade, hopefully the haldex tune will be coming soon! I also just put on some Talladegas and I love the way they changed to look of the car.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I just got the engine/dsg combo done and it's worth every penny, I love the smooth shifts and increased mpg. This combined with the EVOMS CAI was a great upgrade, hopefully the haldex tune will be coming soon! I also just put on some Talladegas and I love the way they changed to look of the car.
Get some cams in her and some lightweight wheels and you have a very capable car!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
UM Triple Tune

Everything he said in his review is absolutely true...
It transformed my car so much its like a new car.
I had Lui do the Haldex last year at Wookies, with my son driving on damp roads, the transformation was incredible
( first time I'd ever been a passenger in my own car)
It shows why DSG is the ultimate tool when tuned and I watched the speed go between 30 & 90 for the length of the Dragon - As a driver I had never been able to watch the speedo.....

I will do this to any VAG car I buy from now on, its worth every penny.

I let a guy inour Euro club with aq MKVI R with APR tune drive it it - he was stunned at the level of performance, he's faster in a straight line, but was blown away by the Haldex.
He has APR ECU he said and says no comparison......
I love my car!!

I had the full APR when I bought it, overwrote with UM ECU first, then added the other tunes, best ever change.My car also has a Borls catback & and a VF CAI among other things, I'm thinking cams if I don't sell it this year.

It has 58,853 miles and has been trouble free.

Call Lui - get it done and fall in love with your car all over again.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Well.... what did you think? I know its been beat to death but always like to hear someone else say its worth it. I am going on Friday to get the combo done (cant afford the Haldex on this go around) so the more praise i see, the better I feel about driving 7 hours each way to drop $1000. lol
Man I forgot to reply to this thread haha. After the tune, I was very happy with it especially now i have a full milltek exhaust and headers with HFC. The only thing that i did notice is the jumping and buckling of the DSG and roll back on hills. I did not notice this before the tune but now it is more pronounced. Not sure if this is the mechatronics (FYI, I've replaced mine twice under the warranty). Any of you with the tune experiencing this? I feel like I am driving a manual again with the roll back haha having to put the handbrake on and press on the gas.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Man I forgot to reply to this thread haha. After the tune, I was very happy with it especially now i have a full milltek exhaust and headers with HFC. The only thing that i did notice is the jumping and buckling of the DSG and roll back on hills. I did not notice this before the tune but now it is more pronounced. Not sure if this is the mechatronics (FYI, I've replaced mine twice under the warranty). Any of you with the tune experiencing this? I feel like I am driving a manual again with the roll back haha having to put the handbrake on and press on the gas.
What I find is that every once and awhile I need to do a vcds clutch adaptation and that fixes any of the jerkiness of the dsg. link attached.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)#Clutch_Adaptation

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am running an APR tune and I know its off topic but would you mind telling me the process you went through to get the Mechatronics unit replaced the second time? Ive already had it done one time but I have all the symptoms of it needing replacement again and the dealer wants to run me in a circle because it has no fault codes, I literately just purchased all the fluid and filter for the DSG service from VW today and plan to do it Sunday.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I am running an APR tune and I know its off topic but would you mind telling me the process you went through to get the Mechatronics unit replaced the second time? Ive already had it done one time but I have all the symptoms of it needing replacement again and the dealer wants to run me in a circle because it has no fault codes, I literately just purchased all the fluid and filter for the DSG service from VW today and plan to do it Sunday.
AFAIK, I do not believe it throw any fault codes but based on the behavior of the transmission. Maybe it also helped that I went to 2 different dealers. But honestly, if you are experiencing the same symptoms again before you replaced it the first time, they should be able to do it. I forgot, i will still under warranty when this happened and I believe the extended warranty for the transmission ended last week if you still had less than 100K miles. If any fix needs to be done at this point, then you will not be covered unfortunately.

Good luck

·
Registered
127 Posts
AFAIK, I do not believe it throw any fault codes but based on the behavior of the transmission. Maybe it also helped that I went to 2 different dealers. But honestly, if you are experiencing the same symptoms again before you replaced it the first time, they should be able to do it. I forgot, i will still under warranty when this happened and I believe the extended warranty for the transmission ended last week if you still had less than 100K miles. If any fix needs to be done at this point, then you will not be covered unfortunately.

Good luck
When I talked to VW of America I was strongly assured the warranty ends in April of 2018. That being said im going to try a different dealer, the dealer I used must be a joke. Seems everyone has no problem getting the warranty work done a second time, but surprisingly VW stood behind the dealer. Needless to say its worth another shot, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts

Good luck
I am personally going through this right now. It’s been a long ass process. I was having a harsh 5-6 engagement after it warmed up. You would see the rpm drop from the shift then about half a second later a clunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ok. So I will need to start with Clutch Adaptation first not the transmission tolerance and then down the list?
That's what I normally do and it fixes most of the jerkiness from start and shifting.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
United Motorsports Tripe Tune for MKV R32

Its not often where you spend 1 hour staring at a computer screen and leave with a smile on your face. This is definitely one of those times. Lets go over what we have done Engine, DSG, Haldex + Spark cut and Launch control.
You may be asking yourself the old question “ is this flash worth the money?”
Short answer: Yes, Yes it is, every single penny.

Since I’m coming from a GIAC engine tune the engine portion of this review will be VERY brief.

Engine Flash- Well with an increased redline (7200rpm) the car really sings up at that RPM. The engine response is fantastic, with this tune an added benefit is It turns off the SAI system, this makes startup a lot quieter. No more loud SAI pump, also no CEL of cat effiency anymore! That’s everything I have noticed so far, again coming from an already tuned car.

DSG tune- This is where things start to become night and day…
I have owned 2 DSG equipped MKV cars one was a Stage2+ GLI and the other is my MKV R32. Both cars had engine file but neither one had the trans tune. So this is my first DSG tune. Both of my cars were very jerky off the line, I accepted it as a normal thing with this transmission. Well all that is gone now, the transmissions logic is vastly improved over stock. Accelerating in traffic off the line in M mode is a lot smoother, in D same thing, Sport mode I haven’t really had a chance to experiment with yet. Up-****s are very crisp and quick, also downshifts are very smooth now as well no more drive line shock when down shifting at low speeds. That is a very nice perk.
User adjustable launch control- This option I haven’t had time to play with just yet, Lui did show my how easy it is to set. Simply put vehicle in park, rev the motor to the desired RPM and tap the brake, CEL will flash acknowledging that you have set RPM. Will update when it warms up and I can actually use it.
Spark Cut- We all know how this is, its not there in normal driving. To put it simply as Lui said “ You have to be in it to win it” IE full throttle over about 4500rpm or so. But it definitely helps with the shifting plus that bang from the rear is a nice touch!

Gen 2 Haldex Tune- This another very noticeable item. Initially you think the vehicle is behaving normally (as it should)…I first noticed the Haldex system come alive on the on ramp, it was a hard right turn and I layed into the throttle mid turn… you simply feel the car grip, you can feel the rear end rotate. You also feel the torque being sent to the rear during acceleration its just a lot more responsive off the line. Also eco mode provided and additional 3mpg on the hwy. To put the haldex in ECO mode simply set the cruise control and its active. Went from 24.5 mpg to 28mpg. Worth it there! Under braking in city traffic you don’t feel the hold drive line jerking around I believe this is due to haldex remaining active when braking vs disengaging the haldex on the factory strategy. Having never owned a sport controller I cant compare this to that. I will say that spending 699 and keeping the original controller is a good way to spend the money.

All in all after spending $1550 on a fully loaded tune from UM I would gladly fork over the money again if I had to. This tune is simply amazing and turns the car into a completely different animal. Plus for those jumping into schrick cams there is no additional flash to run cams. Just have them installed and they will adjust. Dump the APR turn and put your money to use!

Best and only Dealer in the Chicagoland Area Lui @ Automobile Day Spa!

UPDATE
When driving around town in D the trans will stay in 5th at around 40mph... instead of going all the way to 6th. The tune seems to hold gears longer. Kinda like that feature already!. Also the more i play with the haldex the more fun i have. There is no under-steer in the car anymore, just turn and the car will follow, no drama, no wander mid corner just point turn and accelerate out.

AFTER CAMS
Installed my Schrick 268/264 cams on 3/11, car fired right up on the first try, no warning lights, CEL, no running rough initially. Car adapted right away. After 160miles the difference is comparable from going from stock to stage 1 in a GTI. lots of torque in the mid to high rpm. Very fun to drive!
I have a 2018 golf all track and switched from Unitronic to UM-as I write this it makes me chuckle at how much of a difference the car is with this tune. I did the stage one combination in the power is amazing. I did find that my gas mileage decreased probably a little bit more than I would have liked to have seen compared to Unitronic are used to faithfully gap between 31 and 33 miles to the gallon with the Unitronic one plus.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts