VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
United Motorsports Tripe Tune for MKV R32

Its not often where you spend 1 hour staring at a computer screen and leave with a smile on your face. This is definitely one of those times. Lets go over what we have done Engine, DSG, Haldex + Spark cut and Launch control.
You may be asking yourself the old question “ is this flash worth the money?”
Short answer: Yes, Yes it is, every single penny.

Since I’m coming from a GIAC engine tune the engine portion of this review will be VERY brief.

Engine Flash- Well with an increased redline (7200rpm) the car really sings up at that RPM. The engine response is fantastic, with this tune an added benefit is It turns off the SAI system, this makes startup a lot quieter. No more loud SAI pump, also no CEL of cat effiency anymore! That’s everything I have noticed so far, again coming from an already tuned car.

DSG tune- This is where things start to become night and day…
I have owned 2 DSG equipped MKV cars one was a Stage2+ GLI and the other is my MKV R32. Both cars had engine file but neither one had the trans tune. So this is my first DSG tune. Both of my cars were very jerky off the line, I accepted it as a normal thing with this transmission. Well all that is gone now, the transmissions logic is vastly improved over stock. Accelerating in traffic off the line in M mode is a lot smoother, in D same thing, Sport mode I haven’t really had a chance to experiment with yet. Up-****s are very crisp and quick, also downshifts are very smooth now as well no more drive line shock when down shifting at low speeds. That is a very nice perk.
User adjustable launch control- This option I haven’t had time to play with just yet, Lui did show my how easy it is to set. Simply put vehicle in park, rev the motor to the desired RPM and tap the brake, CEL will flash acknowledging that you have set RPM. Will update when it warms up and I can actually use it.
Spark Cut- We all know how this is, its not there in normal driving. To put it simply as Lui said “ You have to be in it to win it” IE full throttle over about 4500rpm or so. But it definitely helps with the shifting plus that bang from the rear is a nice touch!

Gen 2 Haldex Tune- This another very noticeable item. Initially you think the vehicle is behaving normally (as it should)…I first noticed the Haldex system come alive on the on ramp, it was a hard right turn and I layed into the throttle mid turn… you simply feel the car grip, you can feel the rear end rotate. You also feel the torque being sent to the rear during acceleration its just a lot more responsive off the line. Also eco mode provided and additional 3mpg on the hwy. To put the haldex in ECO mode simply set the cruise control and its active. Went from 24.5 mpg to 28mpg. Worth it there! Under braking in city traffic you don’t feel the hold drive line jerking around I believe this is due to haldex remaining active when braking vs disengaging the haldex on the factory strategy. Having never owned a sport controller I cant compare this to that. I will say that spending 699 and keeping the original controller is a good way to spend the money.

All in all after spending $1550 on a fully loaded tune from UM I would gladly fork over the money again if I had to. This tune is simply amazing and turns the car into a completely different animal. Plus for those jumping into schrick cams there is no additional flash to run cams. Just have them installed and they will adjust. Dump the APR turn and put your money to use!

Best and only Dealer in the Chicagoland Area Lui @ Automobile Day Spa!

UPDATE
When driving around town in D the trans will stay in 5th at around 40mph... instead of going all the way to 6th. The tune seems to hold gears longer. Kinda like that feature already!. Also the more i play with the haldex the more fun i have. There is no under-steer in the car anymore, just turn and the car will follow, no drama, no wander mid corner just point turn and accelerate out.

AFTER CAMS
Installed my Schrick 268/264 cams on 3/11, car fired right up on the first try, no warning lights, CEL, no running rough initially. Car adapted right away. After 160miles the difference is comparable from going from stock to stage 1 in a GTI. lots of torque in the mid to high rpm. Very fun to drive!
I did the UM engine flash and DSG tune can I also do Haldex tune with 2018 alltrack sel ?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I did the UM engine flash and DSG tune can I also do Haldex tune with 2018 alltrack sel ?
I would assume so, I’d have to defer you to your Um dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
anyone know a UM dealer near chicago that will tune a Cat deleted R32 with a full triple tune? Was told they wont code out the cat stuff anymore even though my car is off road only?
Try [email protected] automobile day spa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 107 of 107 Posts