VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Vendor
1,552 Posts
John,
Based off this response, “If it was possible to make higher power or torque without compromise to safety and reliability, you can be certain we'd have seized this opportunity. As mentioned above, our goal is always to obtain maximum performance, without compromise to reliability or drivability. We've developed a product that achieves this, and offers a competitive advantage of being able to tune it yourself from the comfort of your own home or garage with UniConnect+,” is one safe to assume you may not be pursuing a stage 2?
Stage 2 may be an option in the future.

Loaded Stage 1 (91) tune today in our 18 SE fwd (that’s why I picked the 91 - because fwd) with the VW ECU update...WOW! Install went flawlessly. Easy to drive and fairly mellow in Normal mode with great low end torque that requires hardly any downshifting when casually accelerating. Around 2000 rpm is a sweet spot. Hills, what hills? When your feeling a little devilish, go to Sport and it really wakes up! Reminds me of my previous MK7 GTI before I went stg 2. I just really wish we had the 7sp DSG - it would be so much smoother. Very happy so far.
Thanks for your feedback! Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wondering im looking to tune my 18, SE with 4motion with a stage 1+ from UNI. Plan to do it myself but it will be my first time buying a tune. My question is will I have acces to the 87 octane tune as well if I buy the stage 1+? I am giving this car to my daughter in a year and a half and upgrading to the new Golf R, but I know she wont put 93 octane gas in it and I dont want her to blow the engine but still want her to have some performance gains.

·
Vendor
1,552 Posts
Just wondering im looking to tune my 18, SE with 4motion with a stage 1+ from UNI. Plan to do it myself but it will be my first time buying a tune. My question is will I have acces to the 87 octane tune as well if I buy the stage 1+? I am giving this car to my daughter in a year and a half and upgrading to the new Golf R, but I know she wont put 93 octane gas in it and I dont want her to blow the engine but still want her to have some performance gains.
If you purchase Stage 1+, you'll have access to all files up to the Stage that you've purchased. So, in your example, you would have access to Stage 1 87oct, Stage 1 91oct, and Stage 1+ 93oct. You'll also have access to any additional Stage 1+ files that we develop and release that are at the Stage 1 or Stage 1+ levels for no additional cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you purchase Stage 1+, you'll have access to all files up to the Stage that you've purchased. So, in your example, you would have access to Stage 1 87oct, Stage 1 91oct, and Stage 1+ 93oct. You'll also have access to any additional Stage 1+ files that we develop and release that are at the Stage 1 or Stage 1+ levels for no additional cost.
thanks so much ordering today! cant wait to see and feel the increase.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Q1. I got the 93 octane stage 1+ tune. always been using 93 octane ever since the tune. 2 days ago i was out of town and cant find 93 octane across that town and i was out of gas so had to fill it up with 91 octane right after that i did ran to walmart and bought an octane booster(lucas octane booster 3x). after all that will it damage my car still(driving fine for the pass 100 miles)?

Q2. what if in a situation where you cat get the octane bosster and 91 is all you got and the car is on stage 1+ will that damage the car ?

Q3. on stage 1+ 93 octane plus octane booster will it gain more power?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a little misleading for a few reasons, first hp is a unit of power which is just work per ime.

Second,it’s not true you need to burn more fuel for more torque. In fact horsepower is a much better indicator of fuel consumption. Torque is basically just the qualified integral of cylinder pressure. Making 1000nm at 1000 rpm will accelerate the car the same as 200nm at 5000rpm... that’s why we have transmissions.

Now if you want to talk power under the curve overlaid with shift points the rpm that power is achieved will be more meaningful.

theremight be marking at play, I can’t speak to that. But having the same torque at a higher rpm will be faster if you can gear for it.

Remember that torque is a real thing, you can directly measure it with machinery. Horsepower is a derived number of torque and RPMs. So you take two real numers, do some math and get the derived number.
HP = (Torque × RPM)/5252

If you want more torque you generally have to burn more fuel, or make higher intake pressure.
If you want more HP you can increase torque or extend the max torque to a higer RPM.

ex: max torque of 250 at 4000 RPM = 190HP
move that max torque out to 4500 RPM and you get 214HP
The engine isn't putting out more power, but it is doing more work, a fairly minor change makes the numbers look very different. Marketing. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I normally just lurk forums these days but joined to share my first day impressions. I had the stage 1 91octane tune done after work today and am finally not disappointed in this vehicles performance. Haven’t had a chance to test higher speed performance but I’m more worried about 0-100km/h than 100-160. I came from a heavily modded 2015 WRX, so the change to the Tiguan was pretty drastic. Now it pulls off the line and keeps pulling the way a turbocharged vehicle should. I’m definitely down for an IS38 upgrade but this will tide me over for a year or two. The downside of the added power is it makes upgrading the suspension a necessity. It never ends. Thanks Unitronic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking for some advice. I have the RaceChip GTS installed in my '19 VW Tiguan SEL Premium R-Line. I have not had the VW Service Campaign - ECU/TCM Update performed yet, but would like to know how the Unitronic Performance Software differs from the RaceChip GTS performance mod? Will the Unitronic software make much of a performance difference throughout the powerband over the RaceChip I have installed? Any feedback/recommendations would be much appreciated. I am looking at getting rid of the Tiguan because of the clunky and sometimes dangerous transmission in my Tiguan. The hesitation from a stop or low speed is pretty scary at times when merging into traffic, passing, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't comment on Racechip. I had a Neuspeed Power Module and the Unitronic Stage 1+ is night and day difference. Better power through out the powerband. Also have ECS Tuning Big Bore Turbo Inlet and Hose. It pulls a little better on the top end with those. The VW ECU/TCM update should fix your transmission issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can't comment on Racechip. I had a Neuspeed Power Module and the Unitronic Stage 1+ is night and day difference. Better power through out the powerband. Also have ECS Tuning Big Bore Turbo Inlet and Hose. It pulls a little better on the top end with those. The VW ECU/TCM update should fix your transmission issues.
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated! I will definitely get the VW ECU/TCM update and go from there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are there any tunes up for the 21 Tiguans yet?

·
Vendor
1,552 Posts
Loaded Stage 1 (91) tune today in our 18 SE fwd (that’s why I picked the 91 - because fwd) with the VW ECU update...WOW! Install went flawlessly. Easy to drive and fairly mellow in Normal mode with great low end torque that requires hardly any downshifting when casually accelerating. Around 2000 rpm is a sweet spot. Hills, what hills? When your feeling a little devilish, go to Sport and it really wakes up! Reminds me of my previous MK7 GTI before I went stg 2. I just really wish we had the 7sp DSG - it would be so much smoother. Very happy so far.
Great news, thanks for your feedback; we're certainly happy you're enjoying it.

If you purchase Stage 1+, you'll have access to all the stages up to the maximum stage that you've purchased including Stage 1 87oct and Stage 1 91oct.

Q1. I got the 93 octane stage 1+ tune. always been using 93 octane ever since the tune. 2 days ago i was out of town and cant find 93 octane across that town and i was out of gas so had to fill it up with 91 octane right after that i did ran to walmart and bought an octane booster(lucas octane booster 3x). after all that will it damage my car still(driving fine for the pass 100 miles)?

Q2. what if in a situation where you cat get the octane bosster and 91 is all you got and the car is on stage 1+ will that damage the car ?

Q3. on stage 1+ 93 octane plus octane booster will it gain more power?
A1: It depends on how you're driving the car. We always recommend using the fuel grade that corresponds with the requirements of the ECU calibration you're using, but if you find yourself in a jam as you mentioned, taking it easy until you get the proper fuel grade in the tank should be sufficient to mitigate risks. Generally speaking, octane booster doesn't work as well as many manufacturers of the octane boosters claim, in my experience.

A2: No, you should not rely on octane booster to increase the AKI of 91 octane with the intention of using Stage 1+ for 93oct.

A3: Generally speaking, octane booster doesn't work as well as many manufacturers of the octane boosters claim, in my experience. I've tested many of the big brand names and am not in a position to recommend using it. That being said, if you have good quality 93octane, increasing the AKI of the fuel is not going to net you any gains in performance. Gains in performance can be had when increasing the AKI of the fuel, if the ECU is retarding timing based on knock activity.

Hope that helps!

I normally just lurk forums these days but joined to share my first day impressions. I had the stage 1 91octane tune done after work today and am finally not disappointed in this vehicles performance. Haven’t had a chance to test higher speed performance but I’m more worried about 0-100km/h than 100-160. I came from a heavily modded 2015 WRX, so the change to the Tiguan was pretty drastic. Now it pulls off the line and keeps pulling the way a turbocharged vehicle should. I’m definitely down for an IS38 upgrade but this will tide me over for a year or two. The downside of the added power is it makes upgrading the suspension a necessity. It never ends. Thanks Unitronic.
Glad to hear that you're enjoying it! Thanks for choosing Unitronic!

Any plans for a is38 tune?
Not at this time, but perhaps in the future!

Looking for some advice. I have the RaceChip GTS installed in my '19 VW Tiguan SEL Premium R-Line. I have not had the VW Service Campaign - ECU/TCM Update performed yet, but would like to know how the Unitronic Performance Software differs from the RaceChip GTS performance mod? Will the Unitronic software make much of a performance difference throughout the powerband over the RaceChip I have installed? Any feedback/recommendations would be much appreciated. I am looking at getting rid of the Tiguan because of the clunky and sometimes dangerous transmission in my Tiguan. The hesitation from a stop or low speed is pretty scary at times when merging into traffic, passing, etc. Thanks!
A tuning box or piggy back is completely different than a true ECU recalibration, which is what our ECU Performance Software is. A tuning box or piggy back generally "fools" the ECU into receiving some data from its sensors that may not be accurate, in order to invoke a increase in performance made possible by the interpolation of the data. Our Performance Software calibrations truly recalibrate the ECU with regard to ignition advance, boost pressure, fueling, camshaft phasing, torque and hundreds or thousands of other variables/maps to deliver an increase in performance, while maintaining OEM-like reliability and drivability. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a tuning box or piggy back that tick all he boxes, so to speak.

@[email protected] Does Unitronic offer a stage 2 for 91 Octane?
We have not released Stage 2 for the EA888 GEN3-B platform at this point. Keep an eye out for future updates!

Are there any tunes up for the 21 Tiguans yet?
Yes, we support the MY2021 Tiguan's, but is subject to software availability for your ECU box code. We encourage you to reach out to us or your preferred Authorized Dealer for more assistance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Finally got my stage 1+, cts inlet and intake. I received the tuner first so just put stage 1 on. Had 1+ there at that time. This was last week. Today I installed the inlet and intake. Went to go up to 1+ and lo and behold its not there. Checked the site and it says I only have up stage 1?! Wtf?! How did this happen!?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is the stage 1 87 octane tune decent? I don't want to to buy 91 gas all the time, but I do want some gains. Thoughts? It looks like it is on sale now for 700 with cable

101 - 120 of 134 Posts