VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I doubt it will blow up, vag vehicles have pretty smart ecus. Wouldn't recommend it, as I don't write tunes for these cars but I'd imagine they can detune with a quickness to prevent damage if. My point wasn't to pick a tune for you but more or less state the difference between a full tank of 87 and 91 is less than 8 bucks. In my town at least lol

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan SE R Line Black
45 Posts
I doubt it will blow up, vag vehicles have pretty smart ecus. Wouldn't recommend it, as I don't write tunes for these cars but I'd imagine they can detune with a quickness to prevent damage if. My point wasn't to pick a tune for you but more or less state the difference between a full tank of 87 and 91 is less than 8 bucks. In my town at least lol
It's like 30 cents a gallon at Costco. No big deal if you're concerned about performance. It's a Turbo Charged engine with an 11.7 compression ratio. It deserves at least 91.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So after a couple days of stage 1+, cts turbo inlet, and intake, I really hope someone (hi unitronic) would at least come out with a trans tune real soon. The slow shifts from the first 4gears is like grandma shifting a semi. Lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
My apologies if these questions have been spoken to already... it's been a while since I have posted / lurked the forum.

I am getting ready to install the stage 1+ tune on my '18 Tiguan. I have the upgraded inlet elbow and hose scheduled to arrive today. While I am looking forward to the tune, I also have some nerves setting in. I have 26,XXX km on the engine, thus far, and knock on wood - they have been trouble free. I'm well-aware of the 'you've got to pay to play' mantra in the enthusiast world... I guess I am just looking for some objective reassurance, in terms of how much risk I am taking on with a stage 1+ tune.

I do understand that there will be added wear and tear on the engine, as I am expecting more performance out of it. What I am hoping to avoid, is turning my well-behaved DD into a non-warrantied money-pit that requires a trip to the shop every month, to keep it on the road. And at the far end of the spectrum with worst case scenario in mind, any major engine repairs/replacements would most likely result in the end on my marriage - not because my wife is not supportive of my hobbies. I have reassured her that I am not going to do anything stupid that would result in something like this, and she's got no time for liars, which I respect.

Also, is there any preventative maintenance that I should consider prior to the tune? Should plugs and ignition coils be done...? Are the diverter valves on the 2.0 TSI still a weak point that should be addressed prior to running more boost?

Thanks in advance for your brutal honesty!

·
Registered
608 Posts
My apologies if these questions have been spoken to already... it's been a while since I have posted / lurked the forum.

I am getting ready to install the stage 1+ tune on my '18 Tiguan. I have the upgraded inlet elbow and hose scheduled to arrive today. While I am looking forward to the tune, I also have some nerves setting in. I have 26,XXX km on the engine, thus far, and knock on wood - they have been trouble free. I'm well-aware of the 'you've got to pay to play' mantra in the enthusiast world... I guess I am just looking for some objective reassurance, in terms of how much risk I am taking on with a stage 1+ tune.

I do understand that there will be added wear and tear on the engine, as I am expecting more performance out of it. What I am hoping to avoid, is turning my well-behaved DD into a non-warrantied money-pit that requires a trip to the shop every month, to keep it on the road. And at the far end of the spectrum with worst case scenario in mind, any major engine repairs/replacements would most likely result in the end on my marriage - not because my wife is not supportive of my hobbies. I have reassured her that I am not going to do anything stupid that would result in something like this, and she's got no time for liars, which I respect.

Also, is there any preventative maintenance that I should consider prior to the tune? Should plugs and ignition coils be done...? Are the diverter valves on the 2.0 TSI still a weak point that should be addressed prior to running more boost?

Just send it, youll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Tiguan Highline w R-Line
58 Posts
I've not even hit a thousand miles yet before doing the 1+ tune. So far so good lol
This is what Unitronic Sales guy told me when I called and asked. They will literally buy a new car and take it right to their shop to get it tuned. That is the level of faith they have that the tune won't cause a problem. Then again, they have resources there to help them solve issues should something go wrong that we may not have.

I personally am going to wait until at least my first service (15,000 km)- which seems like an eternity considering I've only put 1k on it in 2 months thanks to C19 working from home.

Prior to getting my Tiggy a few months ago I had a 2016 Sportwagen. My dad ended up buying the Sportwagen and tuned it the next week. I seriously regret not having tuned it earlier wanting to not lose warranty coverage.

My dad has tuned his 2010 Jetta 2.0T and my last car 2016 Sportwagen. In both cases they suggest earlier oil changes (we do that already anyways) and doing plugs earlier as they will wear out quicker. In some cases, the plugs may need a change in gap from the factory spec, but I don't believe this applies to the Tiggy. My dad also had to change out the ignition coils on the Jetta, but he had over 100,000 km when he did the tune on it.

·
Vendor
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
This is what Unitronic Sales guy told me when I called and asked. They will literally buy a new car and take it right to their shop to get it tuned. That is the level of faith they have that the tune won't cause a problem. Then again, they have resources there to help them solve issues should something go wrong that we may not have.

I personally am going to wait until at least my first service (15,000 km)- which seems like an eternity considering I've only put 1k on it in 2 months thanks to C19 working from home.

Prior to getting my Tiggy a few months ago I had a 2016 Sportwagen. My dad ended up buying the Sportwagen and tuned it the next week. I seriously regret not having tuned it earlier wanting to not lose warranty coverage.
Our Software is indeed thoroughly tested and validated in a variety of different environments and settings before it makes it out to the public. Reliability is always kept in mind and we've got plenty of satisfied customers on this platform already while actively developing additional products to help make the MQB Tiguan a bit more exciting as well!

·
Registered
24 Posts

My dad has tuned his 2010 Jetta 2.0T and my last car 2016 Sportwagen. In both cases they suggest earlier oil changes (we do that already anyways) and doing plugs earlier as they will wear out quicker. In some cases, the plugs may need a change in gap from the factory spec, but I don't believe this applies to the Tiggy. My dad also had to change out the ignition coils on the Jetta, but he had over 100,000 km when he did the tune on it.
I appreciate the insight, advice, and reassurance. I am very much looking forward to the tune!!

Thanks to all who replied - again, much appreciated!

121 - 134 of 134 Posts