VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

UNITRONIC - Tuned MK7 Golf R Owners Thread

478K views 3K replies 250 participants last post by  Triple B 
#1 · (Edited)
Inspired by the Eurodyne owners thread. - Thanks!
This will be a go to thread for all Unitronic Tuned MK7 Golf R Owners.
Feel free to posts your impressions, thoughts, issues, problems, solutions, Dyno results, 1/4 mile slips, etc...

Bashing & Trashing of others tunes is discouraged... Please don't do it here.

2018 UPDATE:
Upgraded to Unitronic Stage 2 Overrun file. No issues. Smooth, good top end. Love it!
USP 3" catted DP
Sachs Performance Clutch Kit (600 ft lb)
TTRS - BBK

HISTORY... 2017 :
Uniconnect+ cable and Unitronic stage 1+ on my 16' Golf R- 6MT - loved it.
Had a dyno and it made 310whp (crank 375hp +-)

Other Mods:
Pedalbox
AFE Stage 2 Pro Air Intake
Turbo muffler delete
Unitronic turbo inlet pipe
Bleeder block mod (drilled to 5/16" I.D.)
034 Dogbone Mount
Emmanuel Design - Lowering Springs
Emmanuel Design - Rear Swaybars

Rice Mods:
Dieselgeek Short Shifter + Raceseng Shift Knob
Resonator Delete
Euro Headrest
Euro Wide Angle Mirrors
Neuspeed RSe 102 Wheels - Bronze
Various VCDS mods

See less See more
#2,585 ·
Unfortunately I don't often get a chance to circle back to the forums, but I'll do my best to make a better effort to keep this thread updated.

As some have mentioned, we're still working hard on the MQB platform, progressing through some new hardware and software products, some of which we've unveiled some details on throughout the last few months.

We released our Dogbone Mounts for the DQ500-MQB earlier this year, and are well along on our way to perfecting the mounts for the DQ250/MQ350 and DQ381.

Our MQB MPI Fuel Rail Kits, which will be a welcomed add-on for some other hardware and software packages we're working on. This kit is more robust and offers more features with an easier integration than anything else currently on the market.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Automotive exterior

Our highly sought after and upcoming UniFLEX hardware and software packages:

Our MK7 GTI using our Stage 3 ECU Performance Software for the Garrett Pmax Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade and Stage 3 TCU Performance Software for the DQ250-MQB. Not pictured is our MK7 Golf R and 8V.2 S3 development vehicles at similar stages.

#2,583 ·
I've been told they have something but they aren't advertising. At this point I don't know why people are still holding out for Unitronic. There are other companies that offer the same things with arguably better numbers.

I really want to stay with them because their products are super high quality and they are Canadian, but there is zero communication. Maybe the forums dying adds to that but I remember the days when companies were very open and interactive on the forums.

#146 ·
I've had a number of pretty fast cars, and a lot that were much faster post 100 mph...

But I have to say that with the tune, 0-60 this thing is probably about as fast/faster as any car I've owned, including some 2-3x the price.

Really quite impressive... And dang does that DSG shift FAST...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#2,542 ·
I agree. Before I went cobb I really looked into unitronic. This is when they were actually coming out with parts for our cars. And everybody said it was good and linear but they always felt like there was more potential. So I went cobb and 5150 and don't regret a thing. I know a ton of people that have switched and lost money, but are still happier with their decision to move on.

#2 ·
Good idea. I'm very intrigued by Unitronic, their support and quality (attention to detail) seem absolutely top notch. Their DSG tune is praised as being one of the best. The ability to do this at home is awesome. I am also puzzled by their inconsistent power claims on their own website. I've only been able to find just a couple of real world dyno charts, mostly for the GTI and they all sadly came away disappointed.

I'll be eagerly waiting for your dyno runs. I have a 17MY DSG with only 800 miles, so I'm not ready yet to tune but I hope to get there by summer.

cheers :beer:

#4 ·
Aside from the Dyno Numbers, I can't lie, I love the smooooooothness. Also, I first tuned at about 25 miles, but I live by the motto: drive it off the dealer lot the way you will drive it EVERY day. So, my car constantly thinks that someone stole it. :laugh:

I may try to locate a AWD Dyno when I get to Puerto Rico but I don't think that there is one very close to me here in Melbourne. Also, the car ships MONDAY. :peace:

Just a quick update for you though, the damn thing is getting faster each day. Very nice!

#3 ·
OK. :) Here goes:

Unitronic Stage 2 ECU Software
Unitronic Stage 2 TCU Software
Unitronic Uniconnect+ Flash Loader
Unitronic 2.0 MQB AWD Downpipe - Ceramic Coated by Precision Powder Coating (Melbourne, FL)
Unitronic MQB Intercooler

I have a bunch of non Unitronic stuff, but I love the build quality of the hardware.

Overall Impressions:

#6 ·
I have the ECU stage 1 + and the DSG Stage 1 on my 17 R. I could not be happier with the tune from start to finish. Literally only takes 5 mins to flash with the uniconnect + cable at home. Adding the DSG tune made the ECU tune complete. Great tune from a great company in Unitronic. John Staffi and his team do a great job.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#7 ·
I'll chime in:

2016 Golf R/6 speed
Uniconnect + Stage 2
Unitronic Intake
AWE Tuning TBE
DG Sigma 6 Shifter
RSR Tuning Clutch to handle Stage 2 Power :laugh:

Thought long and hard about whether to go with APR or Unitronic and went with Unitronic because of Uniconnect and their reputation for customer service. Being a Canadian company helps as well.

Very satisfied with tune thus far. Had since Sept 2016.

Dan

#8 · (Edited)
Bought my '16 R w/DSG in Nov '16 as a CPO from a local VW dealer with 3,900 miles on it. Put 300 miles on the car and decided to do the ECU Stage 1+ (93 octane) tune. Very happy with the results and runs great. It definitely feels like a sub 4 sec 0-60 car now. It is my daily driver so I do not do a lot of hard launches or track duty but the power gain is unbelievable considering no hardware (CAI, downpipe) has been added. Did not do the DSG tune and may only do so if I decide to go Stage 2.

#10 ·
Thanks for doing this. I was thinking why no one has yet just the other night.

I just removed my JB1 and am in the process of installing Uni 1+ with Uniconnect, but I'm getting an error saying vin does not match user...

Waiting on a call back :p

Anyone have any inkling as to what might be the issue? I triple checked the VIN and didn't have any issues registering my cable.

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks ChosenGSR. I'll be sure to test butt/time it when dry. It seems like you have a lot of reservation about Unitronic versus APR. I don't mind that, but it seems like you've already decided and will probably best most satisfied with APR (since you're a numbers guy?). Are you still trying to tease the numbers out? I'll admit, it's not easy. It's really a matter of options and personal preference it seems after having read the threads. Maybe try test driving them? They have return policies? That or another member on the forum might let you try? GLW the decision.

Cheers.

#16 ·
John, et al, a few questions:

1) Is there a reason to purchase the tune/uniconnect through a dealer vs. direct through the website?
2) Are tunes ever updated, if so how do customers know to reflash to get the latest and greatest?

#19 · (Edited)
1.) Tune through dealer: you'll need to pay for each flash, back and forth to stock versus tune.

I purchased via Erotuning.com the Uniconnect+. Can flash up to Stg2 when I get a DP without paying tuner.

2.) You'll have a registered e-mail, so assuming they update, they'll notify you. John? I'd like to see them take user feedback and update as necessary, i.e., marginal performance improvements as appropriate.

#27 ·
Question to John of Unitronic.
1. Is it imperative that the battery is connected to a charger when flashing? Would flashing drain the battery in normal circumstances?
2. Is there an added performance benefit to a stage1+ tune with:
a. Cold Air Intake?
b. Turbo Inlet pipe upgrade?

Thanks!

#28 ·
Just to be clear, flashing and returning to stock will throw the dreaded TD1 at VW if they check correct? I only have 2k kilometers and am weary about voiding warranty. I have been looking at JB4 for this reason. I had uni stage 2 for my MKV gti and loved it(felt nearly as fast as the R) but also am a little disappointed with the lack of torque especially for the MK7 R.

#33 ·
When you say connect the battery to the charger. Are we talking about the laptop or the car? If it's the car then I would need to purchase a trickle charger?

#46 ·
It's just a precaution.
Most dealers don't bother checking or finding out if you are tuned or not. They don't have time to waste for that and many don't care. But in some instances they may run diagnostics just to check if there are errors stored in the system, history... With the intentions to make sure your car is working well. And so the question of... "what if" follows...
If its me, i would always err on the side of caution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.