VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i start the car,there is a non stop ticking sound like over and over. at a pretty fast speed. tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick....... and over and over. what oculd it be??please help. oculd it have to do with oil??

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
its your valves, dont worry bout it mine does the same thing until it warms up (i use 20w50 in the middle of winter hehe)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Re: unknown ticking sound..any ideas?? (vwdru31)

Possibly lifters. Is it RPM dependant? As in, when you rev the engine, does the ticking go faster as well? Does it continue as long as the engine is running, or just for the first few seconds, then fades away?
The lifters on my Jetta tick for a few seconds after a very-cold start, but once the oil pressure comes up, they are quiet again.
If/when it gets worse, I'll replace them.
CF

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: unknown ticking sound..any ideas?? (420mph)

when i rev it it goes faster. i can tell its been a while since its had an oil change. its very crappy oil. can that be a problem??

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
yes the oil pressure is linked to the noise...if you have really terrible oil that would cause it too lol....change the oil now.

·
Banned
3,582 Posts
Re: (Mortal_Wombat)

if its been a while and its ticking don't just change it, do a full oil flush and change, sounds like you could use one
Dan

·
Registered
695 Posts
Re: (DanielAdams)

get a can of restore also. this helped me when my valves were clicking. but now my exhaust leak is filling out the VW soundtrack.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: unknown ticking sound..any ideas?? (vwdru31)

my car was ticking too until i adjusted the mixture last week, now it's quiet! what can explain this?!
marvel mystery helps quiet down those strange engine noises too.
barrett

1 - 10 of 10 Posts