VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
181 - 200 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: (98a4)

Quote, originally posted by 98a4 »

I forget the exact size, but its 10-16L V12 Twin turbo diesel that runs on JP8 Jet fuel. They are over 100k each, the turbos are masssssssive, and the exhaust from the turbine housing is a 5" wide bend of pipe that is about 8" long. So it just dumps right out of the turbine. You think its awesome outside, you should hear it inside a building. I <3 M88's. edit: oh and they are aircooled IIRC

if i worked there i'd be piping Slayer or Sepultura through the PA system. the M88 deserves such a soundtrack wherever it goes.
obin http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Just found this on English Russia

Modified by devianb at 9:51 PM 11-19-2009

Modified by devianb at 9:52 PM 11-19-2009

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Re: FV-QR (50 MPG)

Quote, originally posted by 50 MPG »
CF-105 Arrow Avro, such a sad history for canadian aviation

x2

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
FV-QR

A few interesting things I remember from my time working on F-16's along side the A-10 guys....
The GAU-8 can cover a football field (100 sq. yards) in a 7-second burst of fire. 70 rounds per second x 7 seconds = you aren't getting out of the way.
The recoil of the GAU-8 is nearly equal to that of the engine thrust. ~10,000 lb's for the gun and ~15-17,000 lb's at FULL thrust. Basically, if you aren't in a descent angle or going balls out you could, in theory, stall the plane. Also, you could (again, in theory) turn the gun around and take off using only the GAU-8's recoil thrust.
The 30mm shells leave and entrance wound the size of a potato and an exit wound the size of a football.
Someone asked about there being a 2 seater....Sheppard Air Force Base (Wichita Falls, TX) had 1 of them there for a Air Show in '02. It was out of Edwards AFB. Officially it was the A-10B NAW (night-adverse weather) used for test-purposes only, never green-lit for active duty use.

·
Registered
35,138 Posts
Re: FV-QR (IDdubber)

Thanks for the info! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I pulled up a couple of pics:

Neat!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
FV-QR

some of these aren't that unusual, but pretty cool I think
My first bobtail

our shop truck, we would pile into this and head to the DFAC every day

my next bobtail, with the neck of a trailer cut off and mounted as a flatbed

mrap

dont know what this is called, but its used for route clearance

buffalo

an aussie mrap

ASV

my pride and joy, i called her sweettooth. took an old hmmwv box from DRMO and built a platform for it. it was a a mechanics dream, tons of tools and plenty of spare parts

soo many lights...

saw these things everywhere

??

the rest of these are from camp taji. there is a boneyard filled with hundreds of saddam's old vehicles and artillery

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: FV-QR (guerilla_zoe)

Quote, originally posted by guerilla_zoe »

wow your pics inspire me to start posting up some of my Iraq pics. for a second there i thought you were at the same base i was then i remembered that the junkyards in Iraq all look the same!
btw the "Buffalo" MRAP is basically an American copy of the CASSPIR.

the Wolf Turbo is also pretty badass. too bad it took the USA over 2 decades and hundreds of needless deaths to admit that the South Africans were the masters of Mine Protective vehicles. it's better to copy perfection than try to reinvent the wheel.

obin

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by IDdubber »
my g/f makes fun of me for playing those...she says the story lines are so "tear-jerking...if you're a geek"

There's a storyline?

Seriously, the writing is worse than I could do. "Monica... and Jessica... how could I let this happen? Haven't we seen enough death???" Blah blah blah emo crap oh good something to shoot.

·
Registered
16,552 Posts
Re: FV-QR (guerilla_zoe)

Quote, originally posted by guerilla_zoe »

my pride and joy, i called her sweettooth. took an old hmmwv box from DRMO and built a platform for it. it was a a mechanics dream, tons of tools and plenty of spare parts

Awesome trucks! Interesting choice/use of those trucks- love how you made them your own. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Bah Humbug »

There's a storyline?

Seriously, the writing is worse than I could do. "Monica... and Jessica... how could I let this happen? Haven't we seen enough death???" Blah blah blah emo crap oh good something to shoot.

that's the joke

·
Registered
35,138 Posts
Re: South African Defense Force Buffel (Corbic)

Quote, originally posted by Corbic »

Very interesting... look forward to seeing that. It would make a cool modern-day sequel to the Wolfenstein games.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Re: South African Defense Force Buffel (Arsigi)

Anything from this.

181 - 200 of 331 Posts