VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
13,774 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Preppy)

Panzer VIII Maus

The Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus (Sd.Kfz 205) was a German super-heavy tank design, and the heaviest tank to reach the complete working prototype stage in World War II. The basic design known as the VK7001/Porsche Type 205 was suggested by Ferdinand Porsche to Adolf Hitler in June 1942, who subsequently approved it. The design up to then had been the culmination of work done by Porsche who had won the contract for the heavy tank that March.
The tank's hull was 10.1 metres (33 ft 2 in) long, 3.67 metres (12 ft 0 in) wide and 3.66 metres (12.0 ft) tall. Weighing about 180 tonnes (180 LT; 200 ST), the Maus's main armament was a 128-millimetre (5.0 in) cannon with a coaxial 75-millimetre (3.0 in) gun and steel armour ranging from 60–240 millimetres (2.4–9.4 in) in thickness. A total of nine were in various stages of completion and two were completed when the war ended.
T-28 Super Heavy "Tank" - actually a self propelled gun.

Schwerer Gustav
80cm rail mount canon, two were built and fielded by Krupp.

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Re: (OldsPowered)

Quote, originally posted by OldsPowered »

I just started hearing "Soul Finger" in my head.....
These guys understand:

Awesome

She understands too.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Re: (PartyInTheUSA)

Quote, originally posted by PartyInTheUSA »
"It doesn't need to turn, it will drive straight to Berlin" - said Stalin when approving this project.

!!!!!

·
Registered
'18 GSW 4Mo 6MT, '01 Golf 1.8T
2,053 Posts
Re: FV-QR (BattleRabbit)

Experimental Japanese tank

Venezuelan armored cars

Kubus APC

(edited for link fail)

Modified by ThatsGoodT at 10:29 PM 11-17-2009

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Re: (98a4)

Quote, originally posted by 98a4 »

JLTV prototype. Will be replacing the HMMWV
I'm the production planner for this project.

Modified by 98a4 at 5:09 PM 11-17-2009

that's a lofty title if I've ever seen one. Which part of the project are you planning exactly?
I'm also assuming that picture is early on in development. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use such a custom headlight assembly when the army likes the standard sealed, available everywhere, type.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts

"It doesn't need to turn, it will drive straight to Berlin" - said Stalin when approving this project.

I don't think they thought this one out very well.
Quote »
Operational History
The first prototype was completed in December 1941 and was rushed into the defense of Moscow. In its first action during a dense winter fog, the rear turret accidentally fired into the center turret. The resulting explosion completely destroyed the vehicle.
The second prototype was completed in January 1942, and was sent to the Leningrad front. This one had indicators installed to show whe another turret was in the line of fire. In its initial attack on the Germans, the tank broke in half when crossing a ravine. A spark ignited the leaking flamethrower fuel and the resulting explosion completely destroyed the vehicle.
The third prototype, shown here, had a reinforced hull and was also sent to the Leningrad front in early 1942. It did manage to shoot down three German aircraft. In its first ground engagement, the KV-VI was firing on German positions when coincidentally all of the guns fired from the 3 O'Clock position a the same time. The tremendous recoil tipped the tank into a ditch and the severe jostling set off the 152mm ammunition, which completely destroyed the vehicle.
After these failures, Stalin cancelled the project, and many of the design team members spent the rest of their lives in the Gulags of Sibera. The KV-VI was nicknamed "Stalin's Orchestra" by the few Germans that encountered it because of the variety of weapons it deployed.

·
Registered
35,138 Posts
Re: (leaftye)

Quote, originally posted by leaftye »
I don't think they thought this one out very well.

That's ridiculous!

·
Premium Member
11,047 Posts
Re: Unusual Military Vehicles - COOL (OldsPowered)

Quote, originally posted by OldsPowered »
V
Vickers Woolsey wheeled tank:

This reminds me a whole lot of Leno's famous Tank Car, which I know uses a tank engine and the wheel chassis of this resembles his car. Well the front does. Nothing like a 28L twin turbo monster.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Re: FV-QR (ThatsGoodT)

Quote, originally posted by ThatsGoodT »

Am I the only one who thinks that these things look like armoured Goombas from Super Mario Bros.?

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,740 Posts
Re: Unusual Military Vehicles - COOL (PartyInTheUSA)

So I thought a thread about unusual, interesting, experimental, or rare military or government vehicles would be pretty nifty. Here are some of my favorites!

Modified by NoDubJustYet at 1:46 AM 11-18-2009

·
Registered
3,098 Posts

Track Trucks used for parts (One is amphibious!)

The second picture in your post, shown above, shows two different M29 Weasels which came in the amphibious version at left and the boxier version shown without its tracks on the right.
Both have been extensively modified from original military issue.

Modified by kmead at 7:42 PM 11-17-2009

·
Registered
8,717 Posts

Armored Military Cat Tractor:

That makes no sense. The tractor itself is armored but the poor operator is left out in the open?

·
Registered
35,138 Posts
Re: FV-QR (LethaOne)

Quote, originally posted by LethaOne »
Am I the only one who thinks that these things look like armoured Goombas from Super Mario Bros.?

A cross between a Goomba and that Star Wars 'Donk Tank' that crops up here from time to time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: (Uberhare)

Quote, originally posted by Uberhare »

That makes no sense. The tractor itself is armored but the poor operator is left out in the open?

Are you forgetting that operator is replaceable?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts

My favorite the Mechanical Mule, M274
One could drive it while walking along behind it (with the unit in reverse) and the steering column folded over the front of the platform

41 - 60 of 331 Posts