VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer is bringing in a car that i'm seriously considering, a Campanella White/Tan TDI with DSG. Pretty well loaded with Package 2, optional 17 inch wheels/tires, and Nav!
Any particular things I should check out or pay special attention to in a test drive or possible pre-delivery check? (This car is a candidate to replace my unfortunate W8, for those who have been following the saga in the "W8 Service Situation" on the B5 forums.)
Thanks in advance...

· Registered
9,680 Posts
Re: upcoming DSG TDI test drive (NashvilleAudi)

Marvelous color combo!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
DSG to boot, not to mention TDI... jump on that, NOW!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
(MPGs will be in mid to high 40s after a short break in(highway), and if you drive it right Mid 30s in the city.)

welcome to the SOOT Club

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well, good news and bad news.
The good news is I really like this Campanella White TDI/DSG with the Beige leather interior. This car, Package 2 with Nav and optional 17 inch wheels & tires, is very nice.
The seats are comfortable - like them more than the 2.0 Passat or the 3.6L "Luxury" seats. In terms of both comfort and appearance. Package 2 gives you power driver with memory.
The 17 inch wheels and tires seem to give the car an added "heft" or solid feel when it comes to steering, which I find very nice. Surprised to find 225/45 17s on a TDI, but... they're nice, as are the wheels they're on. And they look better than the 16s, as you can imagine.
But the two big things I wanted in this car - the TDI engine and the Nav system - don't seem to measure up, I'm surprised to say. The TDI engine is great, but I find the sound to sometimes be a little oppressive. And I thought I'd find that sound attractive, so a BIG surprise, to put it mildly. (But it is a great engine, especially paired with the DSG. Great torgue!)
And when it comes to the Nav, it just doesn't "wow" me. I've used the Hertz Neverlost nav system quite a bit and the best term would be "approachable". Which doesn't seem to be the case with the VW Nav, at least in my impressions so far.
Well, next up is the same colors, but with a 2.0T/Package 3. I'm pretty sure that this is "it". The peppiness of the GLI engine, but the amenities of a more luxurious car. And less audible intrusion, given the quietness of the 2.0T. No nav or paddle shifts (unless aftermarket!)
The search continues!

Modified by NashvilleAudi at 3:44 AM 3-19-2006

· Registered
466 Posts
Re: upcoming DSG TDI test drive (Tim Birney)

I have that exact color combo but package 1. I have had it for about 6 months and 6000 miles now. No complaints here. I would say the TDI is slightly louder at idle but once you get going, I don't think it's any louder than the gasser. If you're playing the stereo, it doesn't matter. My 05 Mustang was much louder than the TDI. Ohh by the way, for the last 3000 miles, I have been getting over 40 mpg in mixed driving computed with paper and pen.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
I test drove a Package 2 DSG TDI Jetta with Navi this afternoon.I presently Drive a 2004 Passat TDI that is chipped. The 06 Is a Sweet ride love the DSG!!
I ordered an 06 North Sea Green Jetta TDI DSG Anthracite Leather Navi suppose tobe here in the end on May Can't wait!!

· Registered
40 Posts
If your looking for a good deal on a Jetta TDI, check out Boucher Vw in Franklin, WI(www.vwfranklin.com).....I bought one less than a month ago....for INVOICE....Don't pay over sticker!! Awesome dealership, They also had the biggest selection of TDI's that I've ever seen!! Check them out....it'd be worth your drive!!!

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Re: (VWJETTATDIFAN)

Chris at VW of Langhorne PA offers similar deals on TDI's great for East Coasters
I got my Jetta under invoice and he ordered the exact car I wanted......
As an Example the Dealer I went to Yesterday in Northern VA Wanted List + said he couldn't order a car and tried to sell me what he had.also he said there wasn't any Owner Loyalty Bonus

· Registered
236 Posts

Quote, originally posted by NashvilleAudi »

And when it comes to the Nav, it just doesn't "wow" me. I've used the Hertz Neverlost nav system quite a bit and the best term would be "approachable". Which doesn't seem to be the case with the VW Nav, at least in my impressions so far.

I haven't seen the Hertz system, but I'm very pleased with the VW navi. One thing, I have already received an updated DVD (no charge) which improved the software and added street names to the map.
I had a huge traffic jam right outside my work that blocked me from going home the correct way. I thought I was going to have to make this huge detour, but I plugged my destination into the navi and told it to exclude the bad route. Bam! It showed me a way that was half the distance that I didn't know existed. Did all this while driving (I know, should have pulled over...
) so ease of use is pretty good.

· Registered
4,735 Posts
Re: upcoming DSG TDI test drive (ATC98092)

I have a fully loaded DSG TDI with Nav - I love the Nav. I'm a Realtor and typically have people follow me to houses. Yesterday I was showing a doctor and his wife houses in an area he knows well and I hardly know at all. He was amazed at all the shortcuts I knew to the various houses we looked at
. The Nav regularly takes me routes I would never thought of to places I thought knew like the back of my hand.
Once you get used to it, it's very user friendly IMO - I had Nav in an 01 X5 (CD), the VW Nav is way better - I'm also familiar with the DVD BMW Nav in an 03 M3 - I think the TDI's is more user friendly.
I absolutely like the TDI engine rattle too, I find it soothing in traffic.
I can't think of anything I don't like about the TDI.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.