VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so after hearing your ideas, what 2 weeks ago?
i took some inspiration for the location and the "hidden" aspect and whola!
Never mind the holes

What i had to do to the back

In the ashtray:
I ground down the inside of the ashtray, (a bit too far, see holes hehe) where the cigaretes go so the gauge will sit down in there better. trim the top part where the metal spring thingy was after i pitched it so it will help hold the gauge snugly. then I trimmed off the lower stud on the gauge, make sure you figure out with is top and bottom FIRST. then drilled 2 holes, one for the top stud other for the 3 wires. i think this will only work with the nordstrom or whatever A/F meters like summit sells, they are smaller in length than starndard VDO types.
In the ashtray bracket/back thingy:
wacked the top up so that the gauge wont rub/hit when the ashtray is rotated to closed. wacked up the bottom so the wires can hang out and move freely when pivoted. on the left side i made a "track" and a whole for a screw in the ashtray, so the screw guides it and stops it from falling out since stock metal thingy is long gone. Gonna hold it closed with magnets or something if it becomes a problem.
WHAT YA THINK??

[Modified by vdubjim, 9:37 AM 10-1-2002]

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Re: UPDATE! Jetta gauge location ideas (vdubjim)

COOL! I think the angle would be a little too horizontal, with the sunroof open it might reflect too much light (if you don't have sunroof then ignore me--easily done I'm told). The location has potential, but without total fabrication of a cover plate still looks like someone snuffed a gage out in the ashtray. Thanks for the Idea. Let me drink this

And get back to you.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: UPDATE! Jetta gauge location ideas (at4gli)

i agree with you somewhat in that the sun poses an problem, BUT even with it mounted in the console or what i think a BIG ugly whole wacked in the dash,, its a black gauge with LED's in it, it will be hard to see in the sun anyways......
heheh and ya i did stuff a gauge in the ashtray, a cover playe would be a nice touch maybe later, besides if its "hidden" who will know about it besides the odd passenger

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Re: UPDATE! Jetta gauge location ideas (vdubjim)

Did you ever get any info as to whether or not the scirocco ashtray-to-gage conversion was a close fit in the Jetta dash? Do you know what I'm referring to?

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: UPDATE! Jetta gauge location ideas (at4gli)

the plasic panel gauge setup?
i think i saw it, my whole purpose was hidden, especially for this ugly gauge....
plus people who know what it is, would look in and think "hey he has an a/f gauge must be something under the hood worth having that" and/or more to let theves see!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.