VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now I have a new and intersting issue. Last night, I was giving 3 friends a ride. Just to demonstrate that a 4-banger CAN have torque, I punched it in 1st. As I did I my engine sounded like I suddenly had an aftermarket intake.
Very loud. So I let off the gas imediatly. "Whoa, what the hell!" My buddy in the back seat(happens to be a mechanic and fellow enthusiast) says "That sounded good to me"

Now, here's where it gets confusing. It only does it in first gear, and with all the weight in the car. This makes me think an engine mount has let loose, and when there's that much force applied, part of my intake tract is pulled apart, allowing for that sound. Anybody else experience this?
Only thing I'm worried about is something getting into the intake after the filter, and possibly damaging my turbo...

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Re: Update: Loud THUD... (BMGBeetle)

left feild guess. maybe a tear in the rubber boot part of the intake between MAF and turbo inlet. Twisting of the engine cracks it open and you hear the sound.
I would get it looked at.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Update: Loud THUD... (Cypher2k)

My thoughts exactly, next shot I get at using a lift, I will check. That makes since, considering I've already replaced several vacume lines that run to the intake manifold, wich prolly doesn't get nearly as hot as the turbo inlet...

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Re: Update: Loud THUD... (BMGBeetle)

There is a flap on the airbox that opens at a certain vacuum level. On my car it is on the passenger side of the airbox at the bottom. When it opens it sounds like a CAI. But the problem is it is sucking in hot air.

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Re: Update: Loud THUD... (SlvrBllt)

the only way that could possibly open is if the intake tract was plugged up with crap.
check for upstructions, starting from the intake point on the upper, drivers side of the front grill, behind headlight, and finally the snorkel that connects to the airbox.
You would be noticing some pretty bad power loss if it was that badly restricted.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Update: Loud THUD... (Cypher2k)

Hmmm, you may be on to something. I've had variations in max boost, power loss, fuel economy fluctuations. I assumed it was issues with my MAF, my ASR is flashing intermitantly at 90+MPH, or above 4K RPM...
I shall do a close inspection this evening, thank you for the suggestions http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
to ya...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.